Adam Gase’s job is safe per C. Johnson

KingOfNewYork

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Even if it's solid, yes. 

Gase has plenty of flaws, but this year was a total mindfck for any football team. Between the front office shift, lack of talent at key positions, the injuries (15! of 22 opening day starters have missed games), Sam's mono and all of the distractions, it was an easy decision for the Johnson's to make. Besides, firing a coach after 1 year is never a good look, and if they did with all of the above being factors, the coaching pool would not be as attractive as it could be in the future. 

Even if they aren't fully confident in Gase's ability as a head coach, he has a proven track record as an offensive coordinator/QB coach, is very detail oriented, and is big on the fundamentals. Unlike other offenses with big output like Kingsbury's (Air Raid) or McVay's (spread with minimal substitutions or packages - pretty much same look but different plays so easier for the QB to master), Gase pulls from a complex variety of schemes. His base is a WCO/Air Coryell conceptually with a ton of different play packages- from pre-snap motions, to flood concepts,  to RPO. Each route has a very specific purpose, and his goal is to use route combinations to desigh a player open... the next-level intellect is why Peyton Manning liked and respected it so much, but not everyone is Peyton Manning and not every player is going to buy into it... many times the convoluted nature of it is its own enemy. 

Sam could play in one of those above mentioned schemes and have insane numbers as well, but challenging him in a complex scheme will bode well for him more so then a simple gimmicky scheme because he's learning how to be a real true "pro-style" QB. Productivity that's reliant on scheme is never sustainable because eventually defenses will catch up to the gimmicky nature and the QB hits a brick wall (see Goff)- at that point, it comes down to talent vs. talent, smarts vs. smarts, instincts vs. instincts... the great QBs will overcome, the average ones or "green" ones will struggle.

In the end, the depth and difficulty of Adam's playbook plus emphasis on the fundamentals will help Darnold in the future, regardless whether it's with Gase or not long-term, which is why it's a little too early to can Gase for overseeing a "regressing" Sam Darnold. 

Great post that will go overlooked but so much truth in it. 

Next year Darnold will walk in the building and not have to worry to about first install, second install. He’ll be ahead of the curve mentally and it will do his game wonders. With an improved OL and run game the offense will take a big step forward barring unforeseen circumstances. 

Im excited for Darnold.

• Like 2

I just want to try and stay positive. I don’t get the timing, I personally don’t even agree with the decision, but now that it’s over with, Gase needs to start showing us why he’s a the head coach. We have a few more cup cake games. If we get swept by the Dolphins we really might just be the worst run team in football. Instead go out win these games, Darnold should be playing well and set up some confidence going into 2020. If we can’t, JD should just blow this up completely. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The good news of the FO coming out and saying this is it allows the players to buy in to what's going on. And I think after this spring we will be a lot more confident in the roster going forward. I see no way that JD doesn't invest big in the OL, Edge and WR.

Which is terrific but I am absolutely done with excuses. I want to like Gase since I am stuck with him, but we need to see it. If Jets make improvements on the line and add some more skill on his side of the ball and we can’t even crack 16th or better on offense, after the midway point of the season, I would consider that a complete failure. That is also setting the bar pretty low for an offensive “savant”.

I also think we should move Bell. He doesn’t fit Gases system and it’s not just the offensive line. Gase also doesn’t want the pressure of finding him touches. Select a mid round back and bring in a cheaper free agent. Bell deserves much better. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I just want to try and stay positive. I don’t get the timing, I personally don’t even agree with the decision, but now that it’s over with, Gase needs to start showing us why he’s a the head coach. We have a few more cup cake games. If we get swept by the Dolphins we really might just be the worst run team in football. Instead go out win these games, Darnold should be playing well and set up some confidence going into 2020. If we can’t, JD should just blow this up completely. 

Wins and losses aside because I think building good habits is crucial right now

-Less penalties

-Less free rushers

-Less blown coverages

what else do you wanna see to say this team is “improving” the last 7 outside of Darnold playing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Which is terrific but I am absolutely done with excuses. I want to like Gase since I am stuck with him, but we need to see it. If Jets make improvements on the line and add some more skill on his side of the ball and we can’t even crack 16th or better on offense, after the midway point of the season, I would consider that a complete failure. That is also setting the bar pretty low for an offensive “savant”.

I also think we should move Bell. He doesn’t fit Gases system and it’s not just the offensive line. Gase also doesn’t want the pressure of finding him touches. Select a mid round back and bring in a cheaper free agent. Bell deserves much better. 

Josh Adams might be RB1 next year if Bell is moved but I think with an improved OL Bell will be fine. His style won’t hold up with the guys blocking for him at the moment.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Ideally JD addresses the OL and weapons enough that Gase doesn't have an excuse anymore. If he fails then he will have a short string next season. But hopefully he does well. Bc it isn't good to rotate the GMs and HCs so often.

• Like 1

Yeah, no excuses for Gase next season. I’m willing to bet anyone this doesn’t work out but we’re stuck with him for another year. We shouldn’t have this “reputation” for firing people too quickly anyway. Rex and Bowles both got to stick around for like 3 straight losing seasons. The Jets are plenty patient.

Results next year, but the focus should still be on developing Sam. Gase has never developed a QB, QB guru is a false narrative that everyone laughs at now when talking about Gase. He needs to show he can do it

Edited by GangGreen420
  • Like 2

Who cares about reputation. Get it right. Gase is not the man for the job. Nothing else matters. 

All of you are so high on Darnold, while I still do not believe we have our guy.

Either way, he will have one more season of bad coaching so we may truly never find out whether he could have been something.

Edited by Jag68Sid87

44 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Who cares about reputation. Get it right. Gase is not the man for the job. Nothing else matters. 

All of you are so high on Darnold, while I still do not believe we have our guy.

Either way, he will have one more season of bad coaching so we may truly never find out whether he could have been something.

If you think that any QB would go behind center here and play good, you are mistaken. 

This team is bad at every important position. Sam Darnold is consistently throwing under pressure, breaking tackle making off angle throws just to keep things alive. 

If we had a QB like LaMar Jackson or Josh Allen, I guarantee you they would be struggling here.  Josh Allen has a good team around him, is asked to do very little. Hes asked not to lose games, doesn't have to play hero every week to keep his team alive. His teams aren't falling 21-0 or 21-7 right off the back. 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Of the current starting QB’s, who would you consider “our guy”?  Seriously, of the other 31 QB’s, who would perform better on this team?