Adam Gase’s job is safe per C. Johnson

KingOfNewYork

26 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Guy is so toxic. Chris Johnson should be exiled from this organization for hiring him over Rhule and McCarthy.

Beyond toxic - cancerous

Does anyone truly believe that this team will amount to anything with him at the helm? We are wasting prime cheap Sam Darnold years, of course

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bianconero said:

Beyond toxic - cancerous

Does anyone truly believe that this team will amount to anything with him at the helm? We are wasting prime cheap Sam Darnold years, of course

This is what's going to happen:

We're going to start dumping guys because they don't fit his "System"

Next season those guys will perform better without him like Parker, Drake, Tannehill, and etc. 

We're going to bring in his guys, but they won't be upgrades because they may need more time or won't be used correctly. 

We split with the dolphins on a PI call, they have cap space. We split with the Bill because they put in their JV team, they'll have cap space. Besides Baltimore, our final games were against back up QBs, top 10 picking teams, and teams who has benched their QBs at least once. So people will go in next season with a little hope. 

We're going to win about 5 games unless JD puts together the best offseason of all time. The schedule will be tougher within the division and out of it. 

Then we can see who the next coach will be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

This had everything to do with who was asking the question, not Le'Veon Bell. 

FWIW: Mehta hasn't attended Gase's press conferences since he wrote the article. Naturally, Gase was hostile with Mehta... you can sense it watching the press conference. He answered everyone else's questions much more diplomatically, including Bell questions where he said "we're going to work together to figure out better ways to utilize his abilities throughout the spring." 

My recap of Gase in 2019

The problem with Gase is he's not an innovative offensive guru the way CJ marketed him to be. He's a smart, gameplan oriented offensive coach who places an emphasis on fundamentals and play design. The "galaxy brain" meme is the best way to describe Gase's offense because many times it feels like he's trying to reinvent the wheel, but the truth is when all the players are on the same page and working synchronous, it's a very hard offense to stop. If you watch every passing play this year, you'll see a lot of guys who were open - but either Darnold didn't see it or the offensive line couldn't hold up. His offenses blew up with Peyton Manning and he had success with Jay Cutler because both those guys were vested veterans who understood what Gase was trying to do on each and every play. His plays take time to develop and the route combinations is how he schemes player's open, but when the QB doesn't have time/is a 2nd year player still learning to see the field it doesn't work. I felt he could've done a better job of simplifying the offense, but he really didn't. Instead, he just called more conservative game plans, which reflected his lack of trust in the personnel. That said, he's not a particularly good play-caller and he's not great at making in-game adjustments. The only way the Jets offense will become a dominant one is if/when Sam is able to take that next step. 

What Gase does bring to the table is confidence, intense work ethic, accountability, and yes leadership. He's not as bad as the media will say - many will point to specific players who he ousted while with Miami, but when it appeared that those same players had the last laugh, we've seen their real personalities come to light this year as well (RE: Jarvis Landry). The bottom line is that he holds the player's accountable, and he expects the players to fall in line. He has a cocky/confident demeanor about him, but I think that edginess is required in a sport like football even if it traditionally rubs people the wrong way. He has a quirky personality, as do a lot of the more successful leaders do in our society. He's a process oriented coach who is a grinder by nature. When you're winning, the player's respect it even if they don't like it (see Bill Belichick). When you're losing, it gets old quickly. 

I think the best takeaway from this year - and the development he showed as a young coach - was be willing to cede responsibilities/power. In Miami, he was very stubborn and sought to be all-powerful, but he also was a hands-on coach who was leading the QB room. Because of that, the organization in Miami was in total disarray with on-and-off the field incidents. This year, Gase did a far better job at managing conflict - he was more strict with the player's and gave his coaches (particularly Shawn Jefferson and Gregg Williams) more power. It resulted in a more disciplined group that didn't give up on the season when things were looking bleak. Gregg Williams deserves tons of credit, but also need to give credit to the head coach for not letting his ego get the best of him and being self aware. 

There is plenty I didn't like about Gase's first year in NY, but the one thing I can see is that he's coaching for the long-term. When he says he's trying to build a program, I'm able to read between the lines and can see it in every move the team makes. I think you need to prioritize process over results if you are to build a sustainable winner, and in a results driven sport it's very often hard to make that conscience decision as a coach. Whether or not Gase is here long-term, I truly don't see a downside either way. Unlike many coaches who generate fancy stats for their QBs in simplistic/gimmicky schemes for the sake of results (see Jared Goff), Gase's offense is the school of hard knocks for a QB; he puts everything on them, and whether or not we see the statistic results, it should make the player better in the long-run. Gase was criticized for being a Tannehill apologist and the media hated his excuse making for him, but when Tannehill moved onto Tennessee and began lighting it up those same critics came out of the woodwork to say Gase was the person to blame... I'm sure if someone were to have an honest conversation with Tannehill, he would attribute a lot of his success to what he learned under Gase. He's been able to flourish in a play-action offense that is littered with talent at WR, TE, OL, and RB. Tannehill has less responsibility than he had in Miami, but it allows for him to play his best ball more consistently, but the fundamental aspects of the game - reading defenses, footwork, protections, etc. - where learned under Gase. If Gase and the Jets don't work out, the silver lining is that Darnold is learning the hard way now just as he did with Jeremy Bates. At this time next year or years after, maybe we'll hire a more gimmicky/simplified offensive staff that will allow Sam's stats to flourish, but I'll rest easy that he learned the nuances of being a real NFL QB under Gase. I don't think it will come to that though; I really do believe the Jets will be a surprise team next year and build off of the 6-2 record in the 2nd half. Sam is going to make a jump, and with that more wins should be expected. 

Onto 2020. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

This is good.

Gase has said all the right things publicly about being innovative since taking the job. Haven't seen any of that translate.

You'd think this conversation would've taken place after we gave the guy $50mil last offseason. This comment is laughable to me 

• Like 3

the more attention you all give Mehta, the more work he's going to get. Good or bad. This might be the first time I mentioned his name in years because of that. Writers need views, clicks, and reactions. Even if he gets fired, he'll still work and be mentioned with the jets.