Adam Gase’s job is safe per C. Johnson

KingOfNewYork

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

lol typical Jets. God at least wait till the season is over. Now he can legit mail it in the rest of the year. 

not going to bother arguing this one way or another. if Gase stays...part of this should be that he has to fire Dowell Loggans and hire a real OC/QB coach even if Gase wants to remain the play caller at first. Dowell should be nowhere near Sam Darnold. That guy couldn’t coach a mighty mites team.

This is what beating the Giants will do for an idiot like CJ

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

Except with whose the HC lol. Listen if this is truly Douglas’ call so be it because I trust Douglas. But don’t tell us you’ll let him do his thing if you are calling shots on the HC and the HC still reports to you. That’s an issue. If not, fine, then this is a baby step. 

I think because Gase and Douglas run different parts of the team it’s fair to have them both report individually. I remember the Idzik/Rex thing and Idzik has power over Rex and was trying to sabotage him.

Douglas and Gase have a good relationship so it shouldn’t be an issue. Douglas has control of the 53 CJ said.

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Except with whose the HC lol. Listen if this is truly Douglas’ call so be it because I trust Douglas. But don’t tell us you’ll let him do his thing if you are calling shots on the HC and the HC still reports to you. That’s an issue. If not, fine, then this is a baby step. 

Lmao I thought the exact same thing. I’m gonna let the GM do his thing but he can’t pick his HC.

if we stack a couple losses against these bad teams and or Darnold has some awful games this is going to backfire and it will be hilarious 

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Even JD and Gase relationship is solid?  I dunno but pressure will be overwhelming, though.  

Even if it's solid, yes. 

Gase has plenty of flaws, but this year was a total mindfck for any football team. Between the front office shift, lack of talent at key positions, the injuries (15! of 22 opening day starters have missed games), Sam's mono and all of the distractions, it was an easy decision for the Johnson's to make. Besides, firing a coach after 1 year is never a good look, and if they did with all of the above being factors, the coaching pool would not be as attractive as it could be in the future. 

Even if they aren't fully confident in Gase's ability as a head coach, he has a proven track record as an offensive coordinator/QB coach, is very detail oriented, and is big on the fundamentals. Unlike other offenses with big output like Kingsbury's (Air Raid) or McVay's (spread with minimal substitutions or packages - pretty much same look but different plays so easier for the QB to master), Gase pulls from a complex variety of schemes. His base is a WCO/Air Coryell conceptually with a ton of different play packages- from pre-snap motions, to flood concepts,  to RPO. Each route has a very specific purpose, and his goal is to use route combinations to desigh a player open... the next-level intellect is why Peyton Manning liked and respected it so much, but not everyone is Peyton Manning and not every player is going to buy into it... many times the convoluted nature of it is its own enemy. 

Sam could play in one of those above mentioned schemes and have insane numbers as well, but challenging him in a complex scheme will bode well for him more so then a simple gimmicky scheme because he's learning how to be a real true "pro-style" QB. Productivity that's reliant on scheme is never sustainable because eventually defenses will catch up to the gimmicky nature and the QB hits a brick wall (see Goff)- at that point, it comes down to talent vs. talent, smarts vs. smarts, instincts vs. instincts... the great QBs will overcome, the average ones or "green" ones will struggle.

In the end, the depth and difficulty of Adam's playbook plus emphasis on the fundamentals will help Darnold in the future, regardless whether it's with Gase or not long-term, which is why it's a little too early to can Gase for overseeing a "regressing" Sam Darnold. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

We are going to have the most mediocre run stuffing non pass rushing defensive line ever! Where everyone is double teamed somehow and nobody quite gets there. 

We're going to be posting mock drafts by week 1. Especially if Gase is the play caller.