Why Did The Bears Draft Mitch Trubisky?

soulman

2 hours ago, yomyyo said:

This. I think that Pace wanted to distance himself from Cutler, who, as we know, had a propensity for throwing ints. And, look, Mitch doesn’t throw picks. Winning!

It's not just the Cutler issue, most QBs who throw a ton of picks in college throw a ton of picks in the NFL. They aren't able to manage risk appropriately. 

30 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I find it telling and somewhat sad that Pace was looking for the next Drew Brees. Taking an approach like that stops you from considering other guys who may be great in their own way. There was no blueprint for Lamar Jackson.

In looking for his own Drew Brees he found an inaccurate QB who struggles to read defenses.

He went searching for his Brees and drafted the exact opposite.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

In looking for his own Drew Brees he found an inaccurate QB who struggles to read defenses.

He went searching for his Brees and drafted the exact opposite.

Pretty sure Brees started off his career eerily similar to Mitch lol but he's the exception to the rule and we cannot compare Mitch to any other QB's who struggled early on in their career and went on to be good players, right?

And Mitch was accurate in college so common logic would say that this would carry over into the pros.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Pretty sure Brees started off his career eerily similar to Mitch lol but he's the exception to the rule and we cannot compare Mitch to any other QB's who struggled early on in their career and went on to be good players, right?

And Mitch was accurate in college so common logic would say that this would carry over into the pros.

It didn't.

Edited by WindyCity

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

You can as long as we recognize for every Brees and Smith there is 

Lynch

Winston

Mariota

Bortles

Manziel

Maneul

Tannehill

Weeden

Locker

Gabbert

Ponder

Tebow

Sanchex 

Freeman

Russell

Quinn

Lienart

Campbell

Losman

Leftwich

Grossman

Boller

Carr 

Harrington

Ramsey

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Ya so how do you blame Pace for that then?

It’s his job to make sure they translate. It literally is his job.

This was a failure to accurately identify a skill set, perhaps because he had 40% of the throws of the other guys, and to develop it at the NFL level.

Otherwise why don’t we just throw darts at a board.

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The Bears made him a millionaire to figure out which players would translate to the NFL.

Ozzie Newsome wasn't fired after Kyle Boller. Chris Spielman wasn't fired after Christian Ponder. 

And QB is literally the only position we're really focusing on right now. 

i still don't see why Trubisky is now a deadlocked bust, as I don't always believe that those screaming in the football media are right simply because of the decibel level of their output. 

But, assuming Trubisky IS a bust, does that automatically certify Pace can't scout QBs? Was Trubisky a bad college QB that Pace overdrafted? (Like, say, the aforementioned Christian Ponder?) 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Ozzie Newsome wasn't fired after Kyle Boller. Chris Spielman wasn't fired after Christian Ponder. 

And QB is literally the only position we're really focusing on right now. 

i still don't see why Trubisky is now a deadlocked bust, as I don't always believe that those screaming in the football media are right simply because of the decibel level of their output. 

But, assuming Trubisky IS a bust, does that automatically certify Pace can't scout QBs? Was Trubisky a bad college QB that Pace overdrafted? (Like, say, the aforementioned Christian Ponder?) 

He was a 1 year starter at a mediocre program and the other 2 guys are super stars.

He literally had a 66% chance to hit a HR and he traded up and struck out.

Ozzie Newsome had a ring when he missed on Boller with the 18th pick. Ponder was the 12th pick and 4th QB and everyone but Cam in the draft sucked, I would have fired Spielmen as the Vikings have won nothing And QB is a big part of that.