Why Did The Bears Draft Mitch Trubisky?

soulman

I'm kind of torn. I look at Tru and Nagy in much of the same light. Both show flashes that can make you go 'wow' - be it by Tru making people miss and then getting a perfect throw or by a play design that left someone wide open by design two and three times in a row (the pick play for a TD to Gabriel was the best designed play I have seen in the last 2 years by anyone). But both can be absolutely cringeworthy at times. 

Tru reverts to looking like he predetermined his throws or is WAY off on open throws. Or Nagy refuses to drop plays (screen to Gabriel) or or seems to be unable to adjust (30+ straight pass calls vs GB, abandoning the run entirely, keeping Tru in the pocket exclusively when obviously he isn't a great pocket passer). 

Tru has clearly regressed in his time with Nagy, I'm concerned on why he has worse accuracy now than he did with Loggains. He has moments where things come together but why hasn't he been able to develop under Nagy? I can't accept that Nagy didn't like him a lot in his own pre-draft or he would not have wanted to but his own name on the line for a crappy QB. He knew who he was tied to for at least 3 years. So does that mean he cannot develop a QB very well and Reid was the one who should get that credit or does it mean that he was just wrong about this QB himself? 

Its hard to pin all the issues on either of them, they are both letting each other down quite a bit but I think Tru is going to go down first. Nagy will get his shot with his own guy imo and if that fails then we know that the coaching hire was a huge bust too. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

What I want to know is why can some of these teams run these seemingly easy plays for gains of 5+ but the Bears can't? Vikings run a screen and they get 14. Bears do it and they gain 2. Pats run a WR screen and get 11. Bears do it and it gets 0. Do they not have the personnel? Packers run a screen and get 8. Bears just don't do it. 

Is it the scheme? Is it not being practiced enough (on that note, Kevin Harlan said the Vikings dedicate a section of practice every Wednesday to their screen game)?

Point is, every other team makes offense look easy at times except the Bears, and this is going back to my childhood with a few exceptions.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Point is, every other team makes offense look easy at times except the Bears, and this is going back to my childhood with a few exceptions.

I agree this year, but on the whole are you sure it isn't just bias on account of you likely watching the Bears most?

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

What I want to know is why can some of these teams run these seemingly easy plays for gains of 5+ but the Bears can't? Vikings run a screen and they get 14. Bears do it and they gain 2. Pats run a WR screen and get 11. Bears do it and it gets 0. Do they not have the personnel? Packers run a screen and get 8. Bears just don't do it. 

Is it the scheme? Is it not being practiced enough (on that note, Kevin Harlan said the Vikings dedicate a section of practice every Wednesday to their screen game)?

I think there's a combination of factors:

1. The Bears aren't blocking plays well so there are timing issues because players are constantly under pressure.
  2. The Bears' offensive players have very defined roles and skillsets which can tip the defense to which plays are being run
  3. The playcaller has some obvious tendencies
  4. The QB hasn't shown that he can consistently threaten the middle and deep parts of the field