What do we need to do to get the most from Mitch?

WindyCity

Lets suspend for a second that he is a total bust.

What do the Bears need to do scheme wise and personnel wise to get the most out of Mitch in 2020, because we know he will be on the team. Even if the Bears sign a veteran QB, they are going to have limitations that need to be supported?

Run The Ball: Mitch clearly is not a carry the team QB, but when the Bears run the ball and can do a little play action he seems to settle down and make some plays. A strong run game has always been the basis of winning with a limited QB.

Scheme

-More diverse run sets, which includes the I formation, and less of the RPO over and over again.
-More commitment to the run
-More designed QB runs

Personnel

-They need some *** kickers on the OL, they are soft at LT, and athletically limited at RT.
-They need significantly better TE play to run the ball
-They should add a straight line bruising RB for times when Montgomery needs a blow and they need 1 yard.

Screens: the Bears are a miserable screen team and that makes life more difficult for your QB. Screens are like stealing yards and they get in the head of DCs and pass rushers.

Scheme

-Set them up better, it seems like we run screens at the most obvious times and with the most obvious personnel.
-Call them more consistently, once a quarter to stay in the head of the DCs and pass rushers
-Call them to more diverse personnel, remember 3-4 weeks ago when we ran a nice middle screen to Holtz and then never ran it again?

Personnel

-Better OLmen, screen seem like they would be easy for the OL, but they require you a certain level of athletic ability and ability to move people in space

Protection: Mitch's pocket presence is not where it needs to be. In fact it has regressed a lot this season, but we saw against Detroit that when he gets protected and he is not rushing he can make some throws and make some reads. No QBs like pressure, but some do better with it then others.

Scheme

-Play action, Mitch needs to improve in his play action, but nothing slows down a rush more especially if you no longer suck at running the ball.
-Big personnel, have the extra tackle on the field and ensure a strong physical pocket. Having the extra OT allows you to double in other areas across the line.
-Better one on one matchups, which means less Bobbie Massie 1 on 1 with Bosa.
-More protectors might take people out of the routes, but Mitch is not making 3-4 reads so do not send an extra guy out, protect so he can make 2 reads.

Personnel

-The Bears need to move from a competent OL to a dominant OL and that means you need to upgrade and have better competition.
-Leno and Massie are too often bull rushed into the pocket
-Daniels has struggled in 1 on 1
-The entire line has struggled with stunts and blitzs, which should get better with Whitehair at C.

Size Running Routes: we know he is not accurate and we know that he struggles to find the smaller guys on the field and when he was really showing something last year that the TE was one of his first 2 reads.

Personnel

-Play Wims more

-Find a real TE that can be the 2nd read on plays

-Stop running 5'6" or 5'8" guys down the field.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nads786 said:

We have to build the Oline and create a top 5 rushing offense to allow him to bootleg out and through off PA. The Jimmy G blueprint is what we're looking for. We need to invest some draft capital on the best OT available with our second round pick.

Mitch would be perfect for that Kyle Shanahan offense, but guys I don't think Nagy knows how to run that stuff. He's a one-trick pony and even said if you start running other stuff "you won't know where the bones are buried" in other plays. That, to me, sounds like a guy that only knows what Reid has taught him.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Mitch would be perfect for that Kyle Shanahan offense, but guys I don't think Nagy knows how to run that stuff. He's a one-trick pony and even said if you start running other stuff "you won't know where the bones are buried" in other plays. That, to me, sounds like a guy that only knows what Reid has taught him.

That is generally how it goes. My guess is Shannahan couldn’t run Rieds stuff.

You grow up in a system.

Shannahan’s system is very Qb friendly with the run game and roll outs and super defined reads and throws. The question really is how QB friendly doesn’t Nagy want to be, because the Ried system wants more.

Listened to Tony Dungy talk about the Bears on various media outlets... he thinks the Bears should stick with Trubisky; mentioned there is a lot to like with the player when you look at last year and this year. Thinks he's still inexperienced and is feeling his way through the NFL. Mentioned how Peyton Manning was 32-32 through his first 4 seasons in the league.

I think you have to ride it out and see what you have before you detonate the position. I think Pace/Nagy know that as well.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Listened to Tony Dungy talk about the Bears on various media outlets... he thinks the Bears should stick with Trubisky; mentioned there is a lot to like with the player when you look at last year and this year. Thinks he's still inexperienced and is feeling his way through the NFL. Mentioned how Peyton Manning was 32-32 through his first 4 seasons in the league.

I think you have to ride it out and see what you have before you detonate the position. I think Pace/Nagy know that as well.

What this year is to like?

Tony Dungy can be as positive as he wants, but this is a major issue and we are wasting a competitive window.

I am sure they are going to play it out.

Based on what we have seen this will be another Grossman or Cutler. Really good/great defense that doesn’t do anything because they are constantly waiting for the QB to be good.

I have seen this move before.