Week 11 GDT: Broncos @ Vikings

BroncoSojia

Anyways, I was at work, so I only caught part of the game, will watch the replay later, but all I can say is long-term, that was the best possible result.   

We showed the reason why we have long-term hope...but also showed why we need to explore building up our O long-term.  That final 20 secs also showed why we'll need to get a better QB than the serviceable-but-capped journeyman Allen, and the WR corps when the Vikes decided to bracket Sutton and force us to beat them with another play.    

Upgrade the OL early in the draft, find a FA 2nd WR and draft a WR early (T Rd1, WR/ILB and more OL help Day 2), and we'll have something to work with.  And yes, for god's sakes, sometime in December at the latest - get Lock in there.   

In theory it's yet another heartbreaking L, but at 3-7 we are better off with a top 5-6 pick - CIN/WAS are going to be top 2 for sure, anything after that is fair game (although I think MIA is in the top 3).  A 4-5 pick at least gets us into Andrew Thomas sniffing range - but we'd have to lose out.....so games like today, where our best guys are our young guys, and we give it our all, but still lose, are best-case long-term.   

It's on to Buffalo....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

This result is a shame.

Teams was 99-0 when leading by 20 or more points at halftime..............speechless

Minnesota had 4 drives in 2nd half..................4 TD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon allen completed 42% of his passes !! Ouchhhhhhhhhhh

10 sec lost in final 30 sec before ask a TO

Why not running the football in the final play ????? All 3 last pass were awful with great coverage by the defense.

CHJ always want a paycheck after burned by Diggs on the 64 yds TD ???????????

How many 4th down Minnesota run ? It is a sign of defiance and mockery for our defense.

McManus missed another inside 45 yds FG. If he makes you can win with the last minute FG....... Very concern about is accuracy inside 45 FGS.

2 Turnovers deep inside Vikings terroitory for..............3 pts !!! Damnnnn

As competitor you want to win every game. Be ok for a L and a better draft pick is a shame. 

Edited by French Fan

For this season at least, this was a very typical way to lose. That said, I took a lot of positives away from this game despite the loss. Sutton/Fant looked very solid, and it's clear we have some nice building blocks going forward when combined with the young RBs. We do need one more capable WR. At this time, Patrick is a nice depth option, but he's not a #2 and Hamilton is MIA. Defensively, I thought Harris was tremendous. The DL in general did a great job bottling up Cook.

The offensive playcalling started out strong, sorta withered at some points, but in general, I felt that this was a nice step forward in that area. 

Denver needs to get Drew Lock on the field. 3-7 all but guarantees we are out of it (not that we didn't know it before).  Lock needs to build some rapport with players on this offense. 

4 hours ago, French Fan said:

Brandon allen completed 42% of his passes !! Ouchhhhhhhhhhh

10 sec lost in final 30 sec before ask a TO

Why not running the football in the final play ????? All 3 last pass were awful with great coverage by the defense.

CHJ always want a paycheck after burned by Diggs on the 64 yds TD ???????????

How many 4th down Minnesota run ? It is a sign of defiance and mockery for our defense.

McManus missed another inside 45 yds FG. If he makes you can win with the last minute FG....... Very concern about is accuracy inside 45 FGS.

In order:

* Allen was awful on 3rd down because the gimmicks fall away then. To be an NFL starter, you have to be able to throw the ball from within the pocket on 3rd down. He simply can't do it and I am not convinced he will ever be able to with any consistency

* I mentioned this in my comments too. Atrocious from all involved. I think Brandon Allen forgot it wasn't College, in that a 1st down doesn't stop the clock. He should've (obviously) thrown the ball straight to the official and spiked the damn thing

* No timeouts. You can't run the ball there with less than 25 seconds and no timeouts. Too far away and too risky

* It was the Safety's fault. Vic said as much after the game. Harris is playing with trail, outside technique as he's expecting Safety help. Unreal speed from Diggs, though

* No, it was a sign of their desperation. They were down so big so early that they had no choice but to go for it on 4th down

* That McManus missed FG was an absolute killer. Awful timing and it just sprung the Vikings even more

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

Shelby Harris making himself some money since he moved to DE, by the way. What a performance from him. With our total lack of depth on the DL, you wonder whether we will throw the money his way ourselves.

Our lack of CB depth got badly exposed in this game, which nobody seems to be talking about. D Harris isn't starting material (albeit a very nice #4 option). Duke Dawson isn't good enough either unless we get quick pressure.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In order:

* Allen was awful on 3rd down because the gimmicks fall away then. To be an NFL starter, you have to be able to throw the ball from within the pocket on 3rd down. He simply can't do it and I am not convinced he will ever be able to with any consistency Agree !!! Terrible on 3rd down conversion

* I mentioned this in my comments too. Atrocious from all involved. I think Brandon Allen forgot it wasn't College, in that a 1st down doesn't stop the clock. He should've (obviously) thrown the ball straight to the official and spiked the damn thing 

* No timeouts. You can't run the ball there with less than 25 seconds and no timeouts. Too far away and too risky I speak to the last play of the game. 2sec to play you can run the football at the 4 yds line. Minnesota cover the pass each time and were not prepared for the run.

* It was the Safety's fault. Vic said as much after the game. Harris is playing with trail, outside technique as he's expecting Safety help. Unreal speed from Diggs, though. Yes and no ! Harris playtoo far from Diggs and when change the direction Harris was completely out of position. Yes the Safety help will be there but at the start the Corner need to be tight from his WR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Shelby Harris making himself some money since he moved to DE, by the way. What a performance from him. With our total lack of depth on the DL, you wonder whether we will throw the money his way ourselves.

Our lack of CB depth got badly exposed in this game, which nobody seems to be talking about. D Harris isn't starting material (albeit a very nice #4 option). Duke Dawson isn't good enough either unless we get quick pressure.

Would much rather pay Harris than Wolfe at this point in their respective careers. I hope they bring Harris back. He's certainly found something that works. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Would much rather pay Harris than Wolfe at this point in their respective careers. I hope they bring Harris back. He's certainly found something that works. 

Always pay the younger guy.   If he gets insane expensive, no thanks, but if it has to be between Wolfe & Harris, it's no question.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Always pay the younger guy.   If he gets insane expensive, no thanks, but if it has to be between Wolfe & Harris, it's no question.  

Well, Wolfe is only one year older than Harris but I don't disagree. Wolfe plays the run better but Harris has better pass rush skills and does provide more versatility. Wolfe's leadership can't be overlooked but he's at the point in his career where nagging injuries are starting. Wolfe seems to want to be here but would have to take another (BIG) hometown discount to keep him and his family in Denver. Harris is looking for his 1st big payday so I'm with #Broncofan there

26 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, Wolfe is only one year older than Harris but I don't disagree. Wolfe plays the run better but Harris has better pass rush skills and does provide more versatility. Wolfe's leadership can't be overlooked but he's at the point in his career where nagging injuries are starting. Wolfe seems to want to be here but would have to take another (BIG) hometown discount to keep him and his family in Denver. Harris is looking for his 1st big payday so I'm with #Broncofan there

The other part is the mileage - Wolfe's been an absolute warrior, but he's also got the mileage that comes with it.   Harris has been a 60-70% snap guy and wasn't a full-time player until last year.  Sadly that stuff matters in predicting whether or not a 2nd contract is a good call, and why a 3rd contract for trench guys rarely works.

• Like 1