Week 11 Non Vikings Games

SemperFeist

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Absolutely disagree. It is not intent to injure. It is intent to break up a play. And even so, football players assume the risk that they will be hit in that manner. They in no way assume the risk that they will be beaten with their own helmet after a play is over. They simply are not equal or comparable offenses; not legally, and not in reality. 

I will agree with you that the players intent might be to break up the play, but the results of the behavior looks a lot like assault to me.  I am not trying to compare the two instances.  Garrett, in my opinion, needs to face consequences well beyond fines and suspensions.  I would suggest that he needs to spend some time on the inside of the courtroom, where he and his behavior is the topic for a legal decision.  Yet, while the public and the NFL are focused on his violent act...I would suggest that they take another look at HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED, and the resultant consequences.

I don't think Andrew Sendejo and other players like him need to be in the NFL.  For defenders to break up plays or stop an offensive player with the ball...try tackling.  It works, and is safer all the way around.

Edited by Guest

I disagree with the notion that players leading with their helmets don't have the intent to injure. They have been told over and over again that this is illegal, results in concussions, is dangerous for themselves as well as the person that they are trying to hit, and opt to do it anyway. It is a choice that the player is making. It might be during the course of the game, but there is no question that players know that they can and will hurt people playing that way.

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

For now, the courts have agreed that plays are not assault, no matter what it looks like to us. I don't necessarily like this, but it is. 

This was not a play. 

Again, @JDBrocks and myself are not equating the two.  Hear this...Garrett needs to face some stiff consequences for his unacceptable behavior.  But, I agree with @JDBrocks when we are all shocked by this behavior, but not be concerned with the over-the-top violence that needlessly happens in the game itself.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Again, @JDBrocks and myself are not equating the two.  Hear this...Garrett needs to face some stiff consequences for his unacceptable behavior.  But, I agree with @JDBrocks when we are all shocked by this behavior, but not be concerned with the over-the-top violence that needlessly happens in the game itself.

Who said anyone isn't concerned about the over all violence? Maybe we should take about this incident, and not try to make this about the whole sport. Those are two different conversations....

I watch way less football than I used to, because if the violence....

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Who said anyone isn't concerned about the over all violence? Maybe we should take about this incident, and not try to make this about the whole sport. Those are two different conversations....

I said that the media are making this particular incident a much bigger deal when their overall reaction to equally or more violent plays isn’t the same. I also said that NFL suspending a player for this kind of thing isn’t in line with what they’ve done in the past, and any calls for a career ban are way over the top. Suspend the guy for 3-6 games and move on. 

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I watch less football as well...also because of the violence.  I am not saying anyone on this forum isn't concerned about the violence in the sport.  All I am saying is that while the NFL and its enablers (FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network) are so concerned about what Garrett did...and again...it was pretty terrible...it needs to come to the realization that there is needless violence on the playing field that needs to be rooted out.

I don't understand why you guys feel there is so much violence in the sport.  If it is having an affect on you because you are getting older and becoming more sensitive to violence, I guess that makes sense if that's the case.  Otherwise, I think there is a lot less violence in the sport than there was back in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  It's still a violent sport, for sure, but to me it doesn't seem near as violent as it used to be.

33 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I said that the media are making this particular incident a much bigger deal when their overall reaction to equally or more violent plays isn’t the same. I also said that NFL suspending a player for this kind of thing isn’t in line with what they’ve done in the past, and any calls for a career ban are way over the top. Suspend the guy for 3-6 games and move on. 

3-6 games??? If that helmet is inverted, Rudolph might be in a casket.

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

3-6 games???

That's the precedent that the NFL has set from this type of behavior.

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If that helmet is inverted, Rudolph might be in a casket.

It wasn't and he isn't. Meanwhile, a player was actually BLEEDING FROM HIS EAR, and was merely ejected.

Edited by JDBrocks

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Sure, fine, suspend him too. But equating the two simply isn't honest. 

So let's equate this with Aqib Talib and Michael Crabtree. A fight after a play was over, where punches were thrown and Talib  threw Crabtree's helmet at him. Should Talib have been suspended indefinitely?

The media reaction to that melee was all jokes and talk about necklaces and players acting like tough guys. Those players were suspended 1 game each.

How about Antonio Smith?

He swung a helmet at another players head and was suspended for 2 preseason games and 1 regular season game. It received nowhere near the attention that this is receiving as a preseason incident.

My point all along has been that the NFL doesn't really care about this other than protecting their image. Your fooling yourself if you think that the NFL all of the sudden cares about a bad backup QB's wellbeing.