Take-Aways & Analysis of Play + Coaching from Steelers Game (Non-Garrett Talk)

Mind Character

Some Take-aways for now:

1.) Kareem Hunt is a game changer. His usage in the passing game as an extension of the running game with quick rhythm throws and/or delayed routes out the backfield will be the saving grace of this season. When went away from that in favor of just running it off Teller  and Hubbard with Chubb our offense came to a complete hault..

2.) We're improving in a lot of areas but a long way off from consistent winning execution and chemistry. It hasn't cost us big in the 2nd half of the season because of our opponents. We won't get right with Baker and the WRs until the offseason when they invest in their chemistry and success by grinding long days of film and discussions and passing understanding together.

3.) The right side of our line gets no push in the run game and displaced backwards in the pass game. We ran to that side too much.

4.) Morgan Burnett balled out and his loss will hurt more than we ever would've thought heading into the season.

5.) Mason Rudolph's nickname should be Dr. Feel Good. He's not good at all and the Steelers offense is terrible (especially with injuries). He's legit one of my favorite QBs in history.

6.) Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard played their best game of the season.

7.) Baker's pocket awareness took a step forward in this game.

8.) Jarvis said we played "scared" (to lose) a little bit in the 2nd half. It did seem like we got a little tight.

9.)  It's hard to figure out how bad/good we are when going against an opponent like we did tonight along with the injuries they experienced.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

6.) Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard played their best game of the season.

One could read this a few ways, being that both should hopefully be gone next year. 

Agree with all the other points. Not worried at all about the clear lack of timing and chemistry between Baker and especially Odell. Kareem is super exciting out there and will really add a lot to this offense and making them very difficult to predict. 

It seems if most people are willing to be honest and level-headed about it that this team is not consistently mediocre or average or great but inconsistently great and mediocre. We have seen way too much mediocre and very little great, but the fact that we see great out of this team is very encouraging, as there are plenty of teams that never look great, just consistently okay.

It's reasonable to think that this young team is going to improve together, especially the receivers as you mentioned. But you're hammering the deep receiver pull in getting a receiver looks even more reasonable now that Callaway got dumped. Hodge looked pretty good today, but it's pretty unlikely that he shows anything not worth replacing as an undrafted guy.

tl;dr loving the Mason Rudolph era

• Like 2

Fantastic press conference from Freddie. He's gone up in my estimation significantly.

Outside of a handful of plays, it was a fairly boring game, which was always going to be enough to get the win. The only way we were going to lose this game was through turning the ball over. Mission accomplished.

• Like 1

Baker was off, there may have been some confusion on some of the routes but since Baker was off I'm just putting it all on him. We have to break 2 tackles to get a run back to the LOS, that isn't going to work as a run first team so we probably can't be a run first team until we fix our line.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We watched different Greg Robinson's then. He whiffed on more blocks than I've ever seen in a game.

I saw 2 whiffs. To be fair, I watched Hubbard more, but those were my first impressions of the game.

Will see if that changes after I watch the coaches film. 

To say it was their best game doesn't mean they were great. I thought both battled against Watt and Dupree. Will see what is and what isn't after film review.

14 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I saw 2 whiffs. To be fair, I watched Hubbard more, but those were my first impressions of the game.

Will see if that changes after I watch the coaches film. 

To say it was their best game doesn't mean they were great. I thought both battled against Watt and Dupree. Will see what is and what isn't after film review.

Overall we had less mistakes than usual. 

We still left, 13 points or more on the feild with error.

For every great thin freddie does he messes up another one.

Baker mayfield 4-0 verses his class when we he get recognition for that.

fredie this game could have easily been27-7 if the kicker had not missed 2kicks

freddie I believe is 3-3 against playoff level teams

obj Landry excellent game still need to work timing

thought if obj doesn’t work his *** of during the off-season I make him a gunner

on special teams.

robinson had many a chance to manhandle Dupree and watt and I did not see him earn his 9,000,0000 dollar salary.

Chubb and hunt excellent all the way around.

defense you held Pittsburgh to 7points enough said

Myles Garrett chances are you cost us are season if I get a chance to trade are 1plus you for young your gone and you play for the giants.