Take-Aways & Analysis of Play + Coaching from Steelers Game (Non-Garrett Talk)

Mind Character

I was thinking last night that a big detriment to the offense is the playcalling. Everything seems to be soooo looooong developing even the run plays are all counters and stretch plays. Can we just run the ball from under center with a HB blast or HB dive or HB off tackle run? Too much pistol formation.

The offensive line is not nearly good enough to hold up for all of these long developing plays.

I also cant remember the last time Baker hit his first read that wasnt a quick slant. Are the WRs just not getting open?

He may be worried about throwing an easy pick out it getting tipped. If he were able to drop back farther we could see more but it probably is best to play it safe. 

Chubb seems a perfect fit for the i. But we've seen him hit homeruns both outside and inside. Both can help the pa game which has been more effective. 

Offense has to step it up to the next level now and they could be ready to do so. Continue to get Hunt and Higg involved. Loved the handoff to hunt that we usually give to Landry. Could pay dividends in the future. Also are set up well to use obj as a decoy screen and hit a wheel or deep cross behind it. 

At this point Freddie just has to kerp scheming up new stuff and it will be harder to prepare for as the film gets flooded.

Kareem and Nick being on the field at the same time really confuses safeties. It’s why Minkah was a non-factor.

I liked some of the penalties we got. I’m 100% cool with Freddie if he wants us to knock the crap out of the opponent and beat them up.

Edited by candyman93

More Take-Aways from the All-22 Re-watch:

1.) Our running game is on a different level and could become elite so whenever run stretch runs or zone blocked runs with elephants on parade with angle and cut-off blocks. Our entire OLine is good at it and Chubb's vision preference for the patient one or one and two counter cut then run to day-light works perfectly with that scheme. Those plays also hide the power deficiencies and inability to generate push by Wyatt Teller, Chris Hubbard, and at times Tretter.  When we run the ball straight up; hat on hat get some push with no angles Nick Chubb runs into a brick wall. It's night and day the difference and it made no sense for Freddie to go away from zone run and stretch calls for the more heads up run calls off of Tellers hip or off tackle. We're also complete garbage at any run that requires Bitonio or Teller to pull. We'd just be better off having them either stretch block or side angle seal and push for stretch plays or zone runs instead. The scheme is what Bitonio thrived at when Kyle Shanahan was here and that's where our personnel is right now. Freddie went away from it and the offense stalled out.

2.) Wyatt Teller has to go asap. He's so bad at pulling in the run game and gets no push or displacement on arrival to his target (if he even can get there at all). On run plays off his hip he gets zero push and doesn't look to have much functional strength or heavy punch at all. He's better as a pass blocker but has one of the weakest anchors I've seen in a while. He does however have elite flexibility for an OLineman which allows him to hold on to blocks in weird positions to stop the bleeding. Eric Kush was substantially better in the run game but about the same in the pass blocking game. I'm not sure why we won't just put McCray in at RG and Forbes at RT.

3.)  Sheldon Richardson, Mack Wilson, Chad Thomas, Joe Schobert, and Morgan Burnett were seriously on one. Beyond the flash plays anyone can notice watching the tv copy, they all were consistent forces and playmakers with hidden production and impact from the start to the end of the game. Chad Thomas and Mack Wilson played so physical and went out with full effort all game. Richardson was dominant at times displacing the line and disrupting QB timing.

4.) Outside of 5 misreads/bad balls, Baker was in his bag. Baker's worse throw was to OBJ on 3rd and 11 where OBJ was running clean beyond the sticks on the out route.  There's no way to read the leverage or down and distance and route and put the ball where he put it. It would make more sense if it just got away from him. The other miss deep in the endzone where Baker put it outside but Beckham read the leverage and stayed inside was just about chemistry. Baker had to let the ball go early and probably assumed the leverage would change.

5.) On Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard.....
 @Thomas5737 @Bonanza23 

Previously based on my live watch perceptions I said that it was the best game of the season for Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard and that I only saw two whiffs from G-Rob. After watching all facets of the game on the coaches film I honestly think that's still the case and indeed Greg had two whiffs (i.e., the first was on a screen pass to OBJ and Greg Whiffed on trying to run and get out to the outside to kick-out block DB Steven Nelson. The Second was in the 4th Quarter on 3rd and 3 where he whiffed missed on in the run game on the outside against Bud Dupree doing a quick inside move). 

Robinson was better than Hubbard. In total, I had 9 negatively graded plays (6 being really bad; 3 less so) where he got beat or had bad technique. Some of those included instances where he got outright beat by a Cam Heyward swim move, waist bent got over his toes and yanked forward off balance and pushed passed by an effective push pull move by Heyward, 2 missed exchanges and assignments when the Steelers were in wide-9 and wide blitz alignments, and being beat to the edge by a speed rush causing a sloppy recovery.

For Hubbard, I counted 12 negatively graded plays (9 really bad; 4 less so)  much of which consisted of being beaten with speed by TJ Watt or not getting any movement or push in the running game. His misses also came on poor technique to counter an inside move.

Given how poorly they've both played at times, the overall work they put out was the best of this season relatively speaking.

6.) Mason Rudolph really threw 5 deep balls and down-field sideline that were perfectly placed much like he did at Ok ST with James Washington. As terrible as he is (and he's really terrible), the Steelers could change their offense if they go back to letting Mason throw those deep drop in the bucket moon shots off the play-action more. Of course, that would require they have some success int he running game and in early downs. I acknowlege that they were good throws at the time but those 4 were really good and so close to connecting (likely would've if there were better WRs in the game).

7.) Steve Wilks has to stop calling those inside bottleneck blitzes and instead needs to call multi-layered looping blitzes that go along with inside games or blitzes. Not sure if it was player's freedom decisions but it was consistent enough where I just assumed it was designed... but too many times we had a traffic jam of blitzers 4 at a time in some cases all trying get through the same gap tripping over themselves and causing opposing OLineman to easily bottleneck/control the rush. Those pinch inside blitzes with Garrett and Thomas diving inside with Larry O and Sheldon were just so ineffective ad give the QB easy passing lanes. Beyond that though, WIlks called the perfect risk-averse restrained game.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 6:31 AM, NateDawg said:

My biggest takeaway is that even when we beat Pittsburgh who is on a pretty good run, our head coach still sucks to the fan base and people can’t enjoy success (outside of how the game ended).

Baker is playing better, though still not in sync with some of the guys out there. Hunt looks good out of the backfield and will hopefully get a few more chances on the ground. Some random fourth receiver looked good out there, and a no name TE made a good first catch. Defense played exceptional, with Joe Schobert leading the charge. Nothing to complain about in this one, enjoy it and let’s carry it towards Miami.

Given the fact that we are 2-0 with Hunt plus averaging 160 plus yards a game Freddie is a genius remember the entire talking heads crowd picked Pittsburgh to beat us.

now we get Njoku back that Pittsburgh game will get ugly in a hurry

because Pittsburgh can not stop tight ends ask New England if you ask me I throw 10 straight times to Njoku,Hunt, and draw to Chubb we go ahead 7-0

• Like 1