The Myles Garrett incident

Webmaster

51 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Garrett's neck was never in danger of being broken, facemasks during tackles carry far more force than what Mason could do while laying down like that and they don't break necks.

Not to excuse Garrett by any means because he was definitely in the wrong and using the helmet as a weapon is idiotic---but regardless Rudolph twisting his head and trying to rip him helmet off initially is what caused Garrett's reaction.

I don't think Rudolph could have hurt him like you said but it was just the incident itself that sparked the rage/outburst. Then add in that he kicked him in the groin after that and you have a full blown fight in which Garrett went too far

Edited by AkronsWitness

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Not to excuse Garrett by any means because he was definitely in the wrong and using the helmet as a weapon is idiotic---but regardless Rudolph twisting his head and trying to rip him helmet off initially is what caused Garrett's reaction.

I don't think Rudolph could have hurt him like you said but it was just the incident itself that sparked the rage/outburst

Sure.  And I'll always say some level of reaction is justified.  Yank his helmet off, drop it, walk away.  If that's the case I make disparaging foul language comments about Mason.  Something was said when or right after the helmet was yanked off that got him (Mason) to go after his helmet like that.  Yes DeCastro was pushing him back, but Garrett gave very little effort to get away or drop the helmet.

I really think there was a part of both guys trying to 'have the last word' in this issue.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Sure.  And I'll always say some level of reaction is justified.  Yank his helmet off, drop it, walk away.  If that's the case I make disparaging foul language comments about Mason.  Something was said when or right after the helmet was yanked off that got him (Mason) to go after his helmet like that.  Yes DeCastro was pushing him back, but Garrett gave very little effort to get away or drop the helmet.

I really think there was a part of both guys trying to 'have the last word' in this issue.

I think he didn't give a effort to get away because for whatever reason as soon as his helmet got taken off Rudolph immediately ran up on Garrett when DeCastro already defused the situation for a breif moment. That was the whole reason why he swung the helmet because Rudolph was trying to get back in his face

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

No, that's an example of isolated incident.  NE is usually one of the least penalized teams.  Browns right now is the MOST penalized in multiple categories, and this is an extending example of what can only be described as a culture issue within the building that does not discourage these types of actions strong enough.

How is this not an isolated incident. The Browns culture has nothing to with Garrett launching his helmet at another player. This isn’t a your traditional penalty that occurs over the course of a game. This is a rare type of incident.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think he didn't give a effort to get away because for whatever reason as soon as his helmet got taken off Rudolph immediately ran up on Garrett when DeCastro already defused the situation for a breif moment. That was the whole reason why he swung the helmet because Rudolph was trying to get back in his face

To be honest not sure Garrett does not win if this goes to court.

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

How is this not an isolated incident. The Browns culture has nothing to with Garrett launching his helmet at another player. This isn’t a your traditional penalty that occurs over the course of a game. This is a rare type of incident.

Again, it's a team that leads the NFL in ejections and personal/unsportsmanlike penalties.  No this one isolated incident isn't a traditional penalty, but the team has an issue with discipline and actions, and that is a culture thing.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Again, not to excuse his horrible action but he was set off by something. It wasn't just like Garrett tackled Rudolph and then ripped his helmet off and started beating him with it.

It's just a little strange to me that the instigator of this brawl who twisted a players neck and then kicked him in the nuts somehow is the one that gets away with no suspension when his actions were the reason this whole thing happened.

• Like 1