Jump to content
Pugger

Remembering the day our expectations changed

Recommended Posts

I'm old enough to remember that game, but I do recall that my elementary school brain was skeptical about Favre for a year or two since that game.  He threw a lot of picks and continued to do so throughout his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

I'm old enough to remember that game, but I do recall that my elementary school brain was skeptical about Favre for a year or two since that game.  He threw a lot of picks and continued to do so throughout his career.

I was pretty sold early on .. he had moments of dumb, but there was so much brilliance that it was apparent he had that 'it' factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite memories.  Got to attend that game with my Uncle who had season tickets.  Even in the pregame warm ups you could tell that Favre's arm was so much stronger than Majik's.  IIRC that was Buckley's first game after holding out.  Bengals had a rookie WR Pickens who returned a punt for a TD also.  Majik could never had made that final throw, just didn't have the physical ability.  It was a beautiful day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedRaider said:

I'm old enough to remember that game, but I do recall that my elementary school brain was skeptical about Favre for a year or two since that game.  He threw a lot of picks and continued to do so throughout his career.

My family felt that way as well. I remember watching games with my cousins and them yelling "retire" back in like 2002 whenever he'd throw a pick.

 

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

One of my favorite memories.  Got to attend that game with my Uncle who had season tickets.  Even in the pregame warm ups you could tell that Favre's arm was so much stronger than Majik's.  IIRC that was Buckley's first game after holding out.  Bengals had a rookie WR Pickens who returned a punt for a TD also.  Majik could never had made that final throw, just didn't have the physical ability.  It was a beautiful day.

Carl Pickens....the Isaac Bruce of the Bengals....only he didn't get a ring and he sucked elsewhere when he finally escaped...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 7:54 AM, Pugger said:

I’m too young to really remember Favre’s early days well. I remember the super bowl and all that of course but was only like 10 in the early-mid 90s. I always liked the Packers and followed them through some success of course, but then then started to suck briefly in the mid 2000s When I’d say I really started following the Packers as an adult.
 

The game where my expectations changed was when Greg Jennings took one to the house from Favre to beat a good Chargers team in 2007. That was the signal that team righted the ship for a long time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Packers became better than the Cowboys in the 90's, it was a big deal. These days we beat them quite often, but back then (early 90s) they tended to win crucial games against the Packers. it isn't 'A DAY' but a slower realisation that we were getting pretty good.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 9:33 AM, RedRaider said:

I'm old enough to remember that game, but I do recall that my elementary school brain was skeptical about Favre for a year or two since that game.  He threw a lot of picks and continued to do so throughout his career.

I remember that the fans used to erupt with cheers when Favre threw the ball away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favre brought Reggie to GB, and that is when my expectations actually changed.  The entire league's perception of what GB was capable of changed when Reggie put on a Packers uniform.  If Reggie does not come to GB, Favre's career plays out much, much differently.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say that was the game that did it - Majkowski himself was good for the odd spectacular comeback (IMO he's underrated by GB fans; he was darn good before he wrecked his shoulder). I'm with Marimiv - signing Reggie White was big, and that win vs Den in '93 where Reggie took over the end of the game (with the fans chanting "REGGIE, REGGIE") was big, and the wild playoff win vs Det in '93 was as well, but Favre still turned the ball over too much. I think I appreciated it but became a true believer in the second half of '94 when he started to harness it a little more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Favre brought Reggie to GB, and that is when my expectations actually changed.  If Reggie does not come to GB, Favre's career plays out much, much differently.

And Majkowski’s injury forced Mike Holmgren’s hand. Mike had a problem with Favre and his late night carousing and free-wheeling playing style. If Majkowski doesn’t bust up his ankle and wins in that season (93?) who knows how the Favre story plays out.

It was almost like a 50’s sitcom the way that the brash and likeable main character QB made the walrus-stached HC splutter and bellow as Brett did everything wrong except for the parts where he won the games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m too young to really remember Favre’s early days well. I remember the super bowl and all that of course but was only like 10 in the early-mid 90s. I always liked the Packers and followed them through some success of course, but then then started to suck briefly in the mid 2000s When I’d say I really started following the Packers as an adult.
 

The game where my expectations changed was when Greg Jennings took one to the house from Favre to beat a good Chargers team in 2007. That was the signal that team righted the ship for a long time.

 

You guys are making me feel ancient!    lol   I was a little kid and my Dad took me to games at Lambeau in the late 60s...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed that game, and the '92 season in its entirety. I was seven at the time, and only caught up because I was gifted the 'video yearbook' of the season on Christmas.

I missed '92, and to be honest, the prior couple of years, largely for a stupid reason. Anybody remember that Soda Commercial starring Boomer Esiason where all those football players were literally melting on the football field? Freaked the crap out of me, and booooy, it took a while to willingly watch a football game after that(when else would they put that commercial on but during games?).

'93 was when I was first watching the Packers for real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 8:03 AM, Uffdaswede said:

And Majkowski’s injury forced Mike Holmgren’s hand. Mike had a problem with Favre and his late night carousing and free-wheeling playing style. If Majkowski doesn’t bust up his ankle and wins in that season (93?) who knows how the Favre story plays out.

It was almost like a 50’s sitcom the way that the brash and likeable main character QB made the walrus-stached HC splutter and bellow as Brett did everything wrong except for the parts where he won the games. 

One other thing that gets glossed over- Holmgren was going to bench Favre and go with Brunell, but was talked out of it by Mooch and Reid.  Brunell went on to a nice contract and reasonable success with the Jags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×