Myles Garrett suspended indefinitely

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Usually the guy who starts big incidents like that get suspended as well

I saw it put well elsewhere and it's a good thing to think about:

If Mason pulled at Myles helmet the same way, and Myles Garrett just gets up and walks away, would you still say Mason should be suspended?  Or should he have just be fined the way dozens of other guys who have done the same thing have been?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Stop defending Garrett. First of all it was a ridiculously late hit. NOTHING that happened before or after Garrett's actions justifies or is even equal to what Garrett did

If that's a ridiculously late hit then we need to ban football. It was unnecessary given when it took place. It wasn't late. It's a regular football hit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Malik said:

If that's a ridiculously late hit then we need to ban football. It was unnecessary given when it took place. It wasn't late. It's a regular football hit.

I've used the wording of it was 'excessive action' that Myles did post contact.  I don't buy that he didn't know it was out.  Mason was in the act of releasing it at that point he got hit.  Myles hit him square (fair enough) then started to twist him down after that (excessive).  I think the playcalling of a screen with :15 was stupid, I think Myles going that hard with :15 left and up two scores is stupid.  That's a play that 99/100 times we see the defender pull up after the initial contact, pat the QB on the head, say good game, and go to the lockerroom.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malik said:

"Ridiculously" might have been a bit strong. But it was a late hit imo. Mason clearly had thrown the ball. Taking him the ground was completely unnecessary  it was DEFINITELY late. Garrett already had Mason in his sights when Mason threw the ball, so Garrett, imo, knew Mason had thrown it before he ever touched Mason. 

As for there not being a flag, we dont really know if there would have been one. Sometimes these flags come in late. Things transpired SO quickly after Mason got taken down that what became the focus of the refs was what was happening. 

Also, just because there wasn't a flag doesn't mean it wasnt a late hit. We see late hits among other things get missed all the time.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I've used the wording of it was 'excessive action' that Myles did post contact.  I don't buy that he didn't know it was out.  Mason was in the act of releasing it at that point he got hit.  Myles hit him square (fair enough) then started to twist him down after that (excessive).  I think the playcalling of a screen with :15 was stupid, I think Myles going that hard with :15 left and up two scores is stupid.  That's a play that 99/100 times we see the defender pull up after the initial contact, pat the QB on the head, say good game, and go to the lockerroom.

I agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Malik said:

I agree with all of this. 

You are literally the first person that has responded on various platforms to respond to that point like this!  So I've held the standpoint (not that it makes anything ok) that when you take that into account, we can see why Mason lost some of his cool.  The Browns were taking shots all night like that (factor that Mason was already hit in the head that game, Juju out, Johnson bleeding from the ear....side note, game notes came out and that ejection had to be called in from New York, the refs on the field were going to let him stay in the game), and with :15 seconds left it hit the bubbling point of "what's your problem".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You are literally the first person that has responded on various platforms to respond to that point like this!  So I've held the standpoint (not that it makes anything ok) that when you take that into account, we can see why Mason lost some of his cool.  The Browns were taking shots all night like that (factor that Mason was already hit in the head that game, Juju out, Johnson bleeding from the ear....side note, game notes came out and that ejection had to be called in from New York, the refs on the field were going to let him stay in the game), and with :15 seconds left it hit the bubbling point of "what's your problem".

Yes. There is no doubt in my mind that Mason lost his cool, They had to suspend Pouncey, the fines handed out were deserved. But Garrett did the worst part of it all. He just did. 

Having said that, the entire night was leading up to this point. Garrett taking Mason to the ground, unnecessarily imo, was the straw that broke the camel's back

And for the record I dont think Garrett's actions are in anyway a reflection of the Cleveland Organization or fan base. Nor do I think the actions by Pouncey, Mason, and others should be of the Steelers Organization and Steeler Nation.

I do question the mental status of people on either side of the fence who seem to be incapable of seeing the situation for exactly what it was, a Kluster 'Puck' and acknowledging that the punishments handed out were justified.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I saw it put well elsewhere and it's a good thing to think about:

If Mason pulled at Myles helmet the same way, and Myles Garrett just gets up and walks away, would you still say Mason should be suspended?  Or should he have just be fined the way dozens of other guys who have done the same thing have been?

I think if it doesn’t go past that. Then no but because it was the fuel that got the whole thing going that started a brawl, then he deserves it. We have pitchers kinda throw at guys all the time to send a message and they don’t get in trouble for it but when they throw at a player and the batter than charges the mound, then you usually see both parties getting suspended, depending on how severe the brawl was. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Then where was the flag? That was the refs take on it, whether you agree or not.

Ref's aren't in the business of throwing flags in games with 8 seconds left that are essentially over

Different story if it's in the 3rd quarter - You can't twist a QB and take him to the ground after the ball is gone. We see that everywhere

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The ball was gone for a few seconds

The ball was not gone for a few seconds; more like a fraction of a second at most. Which is perfectly legal. 

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

he didnt just hit him, he forcibly took him to the ground

Forcibly? Seriously? He wrapped him up, not knowing for sure that the ball was out, and wrapped him to the ground. That's about as gentle and nonthreatening of a hit on a QB you can muster. Rudolph just took it personally because he was having a terrible night. 

Could you argue Garrett maybe held on for too long? Maybe. But like I said, he didn't know for certain the ball was out. Wrapping up for an extra couple seconds doesn't do anyone any harm. It's what you're coached to do. He didn't slam him and he didn't put all his weight on him. It was clean.

• Like 1