Mason Rudolph's play thus far

Steelers22

1 hour ago, August4th said:

can the skins do us a favor and cut Colt Mccoy or Case Keenum

what happened with he kaepernick work out, just a publicity stunt? I would like to let Duck have a fair chance, but the 2019 steelers have other ideas it seems. Rudolph hasn't been the same after that cheap shot from Thomas

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what happened with he kaepernick work out, just a publicity stunt? I would like to let Duck have a fair chance, but the 2019 steelers have other ideas it seems. Rudolph hasn't been the same after that cheap shot from Thomas

CK looked good. We should give him a shot at our roster, even if it's not to play this season.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

did someone from the steelers go to the CK workout though? Considering AV's stance/comments about CK, I can't see this happening, but then I remembered the Vick signing

steelers sent no one down there. they appear to not be interested in him. Looks like we're stuck with Mason and duck for the rest of the season

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, nugpimpen said:

He's a lot like you, no real positives. Just a stain on the underpants of society. Good attempt on the troll posts earlier. You may be better at it as soon as you learn how to read and write. I won't hold out hope.

I am actually a Steeler fan you Idiot. Thanks for the personal attacks your a real douchebag. 

I was probably a little too harsh on Rudolph but it is frustrating not having Ben and going from the offense we had last year to what we have now. I believe Ben and Antonio covered a lot of warts that are just now coming to surface. The truth is the OL never was quite as good as we thought it was, especially in run blocking. Our focus in the run game hasn't been there for a couple years as we always passed to set up the run. 

Antonio really stretched the field and made it a lot more difficult for teams to cover underneath routes to the TE's and RB's and Juju not to mention teams were a lot less likely to blitz us or stack the box because Ben and Antonio would pick that apart. Ben also had great pocket presence, the ability to extend plays and mobility that Rudolph does not have. Finally Conner was pretty decent in pass blocking and we have lost that with him not being in there. 

What I am really trying to say is we had some serviceable veterans who were made to look much better than they were because we had elite talent in Ben and Antonio that carried this offense for a long time. I believe Bell was slightly overrated as well. Bell was a good back but more importantly his talents fit so well into this offense and he benefited from Antonio and Ben. He is just an average back at best in NY. I know his line isn't great there but other backs in the league have done much better with lesser lines like the Jaguars RB for example.

The other thing we are really underestimating is the level of experience we lost with Ben and Antonio not being in there. So many times last year Ben would read the defense and he would call an audible and Brown would check out of his route and run a simple five step slant for a quick pass and first down. Brown was so quick there aren't a lot of receivers that can do that on a consistent basis. Plays like that which we constantly performed last year kept drives alive and opened up other plays for the offense. I realize Mason doesn't have an Antonio like Ben did but my bigger concern with Mason is his lack of mobility and ability to extend drives or his lack of accuracy on deep balls. The defense knows he isn't accurate deep so they are blitzing him more. Defenses know he lacks experience and they aren't threatened by our wideouts so they are teeing off on him. The biggest thing however is he is so timid he caves under pressure and he checks it down way to much. I just would like to see more confidence with him.

Moving forward we at least know Rudolph is not the long term answer. We also know we have average talent on the OL. AV, MP and Foster need upgraded but they will be serviceable when Ben comes back. Conner isn't the long term answer at RB. We need another dynamic WR that can stretch the field and has football awareness to catch the quick slant patterns to convert first downs and keep drives alive. The OC is serviceable with Ben at QB but if and when we draft a legit young QB we need a dynamic play caller at OC to develop the guy. If we can retain the talent on Defense and use these next two years under Ben to restock the Offense I think we will still have a bright future. 

I don't think the steelers think Rudolph is the issue. Tomlin is already making excuses for him saying we didn't have enough weapons in the second half. Although there is truth to that it is obvious Rudolph isn't the long term answer. 

12 hours ago, August4th said:

can the skins do us a favor and cut Colt Mccoy or Case Keenum

how about playing Duck if mason has a really bad half, let him play the half and go from there. Maybe that cheap shot by thomas was more than we know, because mason hasn't been the same since . Of course  the OL has been terrible as well, which never helps.

1 minute ago, Duff said:

I don't think the steelers think Rudolph is the issue. Tomlin is already making excuses for him saying we didn't have enough weapons in the second half. Although there is truth to that it is obvious Rudolph isn't the long term answer. 

lets see, the browns head hunted wr1 and wr3 to of the game, thats enough to reconsider evaluating the QB.

then the OL was trash as was the rushing attack. 

Right now, mason might not be that good, but he has no chance with whats around him, the team needs to make some changes and have a wake up call. 3 pro bowlers on the OL and none of them are near that. Pouncey is terrible, and AV has had too many bad games.  This almost feels like 2009 or 2011 OL, almost9_9

Foster was bad but this line was never going to be a power running OL.  They morphed in to a pass blocking-zone run blocking line.

Rudolph has problems far beyond the Oline.  He has no pocket awareness.  Heavy legs in the pocket.  Makes slow decisions when his first read is taken away.  None of those are on the Oline.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Foster was bad but this line was never going to be a power running OL.  They morphed in to a pass blocking-zone run blocking line.

Rudolph has problems far beyond the Oline.  He has no pocket awareness.  Heavy legs in the pocket.  Makes slow decisions when his first read is taken away.  None of those are on the Oline.

Also the O-line looks worse because Rudolph can't complete a pass to save his life. Nobody respects our passing game so they pack the line on run downs and blitz on pass downs and that overwhelms the line. 

...he isn't pushing/can't push the ball down the field
...he takes forever on his reads (which doesn't help his stressed out OL)
...he has little pocket awareness
...he doesn't have the accuracy or the anticipation to make up for his not so good arm.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt early...but none of these things are getting any better.

This is independent of the dreck he had on the field supporting him vs the Browns

He doesn't have it guys.

And it doesn't look like he'll get it.

I realize that he ended that game with what was basically the scout team WR but Rudolph has shown problems long before he lost Johnson and Juju

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

one positive in seeing Mason start a whole yr is we're getting a good idea if he can be the "guy"

I still think he can be a good back-up who can start some games for you, but not a guy you want to be your starter going in. I expect the team to address this after next yr in the draft. 2021 draft projected to have good QB propects? Trevor Lawrence will probably be out of our reach.. what about Justin Fields? hopefully a few others rise up by that time.

15 minutes ago, August4th said:

one positive in seeing Mason start a whole yr is we're getting a good idea if he can be the "guy"

I still think he can be a good back-up who can start some games for you, but not a guy you want to be your starter going in. I expect the team to address this after next yr in the draft. 2021 draft projected to have good QB propects? Trevor Lawrence will probably be out of our reach.. what about Justin Fields? hopefully a few others rise up by that time.

I think we have too many holes to take a QB early. I'd give it one more push with Ben until his contract runs out. Worry about finding his replacement later. We need to go all in with this defense and Ben. We need to get some weapons much worse than we need a QBOTF.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we have too many holes to take a QB early. I'd give it one more push with Ben until his contract runs out. Worry about finding his replacement later. We need to go all in with this defense and Ben. We need to get some weapons much worse than we need a QBOTF.

I would be fine with them doing that if Ben looks solid next yr

also they could sign a vet QB to replace Ben when he retires and let him QB manage for a few yrs if our defense is still elite

Edited by August4th