Ja Morant vs Trae Young

resilient part 2

Ja Morant vs. Trae Young, who do you build your team around  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Two very young, talented but slender point guards, if you had to pick one going forward to build your team around who do you build your team around going forward?

• Ja
    • Trae

56 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

As prospects I definitely liked Ja more but Trae has already proved himself in the NBA and is a stud. So you have to go with him cause Ja hasn't proven he'll reach that level yet. But I think he'll get there, it's just crazy to pass on what Trae already is. 

Yeah you're right, it's definitely a very small sample size, but Ja Morant has shown a lot of potential. It would require some speculation as to how much he will continue to improve. Certainly will be easier to ask after at least one year under his belt, but this is not an exact science this is more just for fun so how about it

Edited by resilient part 2

Ja. Once Trae's shooting cools off (because it will), he's back to being an average player. Ja can at least impact the game scoring wise at all levels. He's also the far better athlete. 

They are both negatives on the defensive end but at least Ja knows how to play the passing lanes.

Edited by beekay414

They are both going to be really good. Ja Morant is longer, more athletic and should end up being a more well rounded player. Trae Young is better though. I didn't like him coming out and everything I hated about him was evident early last season. Then he improved a lot throughout his rookie season and has adapted to the NBA now. He's the closest thing we have in the NBA today to Steve Nash except Trae is a much more aggressive scorer. If I had to guess Ja makes a handful of All Star appearances and Trae is a perennial All Star and multiple time All NBA guy. He's special. There is no reason to think 45-38-80 splits for him are unsustainable.

Edited by Bullet Club

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

There is no reason to think 45-38-80 splits for him are unsustainable.

Except for everything in his past, including high school. He fades as the season wears on. College he shot 39% from the field and 33% from 3. Last year, he shot 41% from the field and 32% from 3. If he shoots 45% and 38% on his volume, I'll stop posting here.

EDIT - I'm sorry, he shot 42% and 36% in college. 39% and 33% were against the Big 12. Point still stands.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Except for everything in his past, including high school. He fades as the season wears on. College he shot 39% from the field and 33% from 3. Last year, he shot 41% from the field and 32% from 3. If he shoots 45% and 38% on his volume, I'll stop posting here.

He shot better in the NBA then he did in college. Why would a bump in year 2 by unsustainable? A 3.9% bump in FG% and 6.2% bump in 3pt% after having your first real NBA offseason isn't that unbelievable. His 3pt% could even drop to league average and he'd still be a stud.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He shot better in the NBA then he did in college. Why would a bump in year 2 by unsustainable? A 3.9% bump in FG% and 6.2% bump in 3pt% after having your first real NBA offseason isn't that unbelievable. His 3pt% could even drop to league average and he'd still be a stud.

Because he's taking 8 3s a game and he's never shown he can be efficient in high volume?

LIS, I quoted his Big 12 numbers, which is as the season wears on, that were 39 and 33. His overall college numbers were 42 and 36. He won't shoot 45/38 on his volume. He's not that kind of shooter.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Because he's taking 8 3s a game and he's never shown he can be efficient in high volume?

LIS, I quoted his Big 12 numbers, which is as the season wears on, that were 39 and 33. His overall college numbers were 42 and 36. He won't shoot 45/38 on his volume. He's not that kind of shooter.

I wouldn't doubt it. They aren't impossible numbers. 38% on 8 3's probably won't stick this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get there. Even if they are and he shoots 43-34 this year he's still going to be one of the best PG's in the league.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I wouldn't doubt it. They aren't impossible numbers. 38% on 8 3's probably won't stick this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get there. Even if they are and he shoots 43-34 this year he's still going to be one of the best PG's in the league.

I'll believe it when I see it from him. He wears down too easily because he's so small, plays so many minutes and always has the ball in his hands. He's also a turnstile defensively so that plays a huge part in my dislike for him. I just don't see this franchise player people think he is. He did 19 and 8 last year and he was still a negative BPM and barely above average VORP. He literally needs to sustain what he's doing now just to be viewed as a net positive.

I'm supremely bullish on Young. I want to see it in longer than a 10 game sample size before I put him in the "best PG" category. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'll believe it when I see it from him. He wears down too easily because he's so small, plays so many minutes and always has the ball in his hands. He's also a turnstile defensively so that plays a huge part in my dislike for him. I just don't see this franchise player people think he is. He did 19 and 8 last year and he was still a negative BPM and barely above average VORP. He literally needs to sustain what he's doing now just to be viewed as a net positive.

I'm supremely bullish on Young. I want to see it in longer than a 10 game sample size before I put him in the "best PG" category. 

It's pretty hard to luck into an 8.1 OBPM even if you're on a hot streak. That's what he's putting up at age 21.