Ja Morant vs Trae Young

resilient part 2

Ja Morant vs. Trae Young, who do you build your team around  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Two very young, talented but slender point guards, if you had to pick one going forward to build your team around who do you build your team around going forward?

• Ja
    • Trae

Trae Young, with this hot streak, is still a negative on the court as far as the O RTG his team puts up, compared to what they give up. He's at -3.1. The team is 4.5 PTS better with him on the court, of course, but such is the case with a bad team.

Ja, as a rookie, is at -4.1 (before tonight) but the team is at a -13.2 without him on the court. So the Grizzlies, while still bad, are 9.1 PTS better with him on the floor.

Gimme Ja going forward.

Just now, beekay414 said:

It's 10 games. Let's see where he's at in March.

It's not though. His last 43 games last year he averaged 22.5/8.6 on 43.6-35.0-85.1. He didn't fade at all last season. Even if his current OBPM number cuts in half he's still a +2 player at 21. Jayson Tatum hasn't done that in his career. He's noticeably better than he was at the beginning of last season and he was great at the end of last year.

morant is also terrible defensively 

and ja is shooting 44.4% from 3pt, so if we go by what he has always done that should go down significantly

teams are trapping and hard hedging trae already cause he is so good. also because his team (minus Collins and Huerter) absolutely suck. teams are still daring ja to shoot. he like gets the rondo treatment.

I think for the way defenses have to play trae and I think trae is the better passer, so I would go w/ him

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

It's not though. His last 43 games last year he averaged 22.5/8.6 on 43.6-35.0-85.1. He didn't fade at all last season. Even if his current OBPM number cuts in half he's still a +2 player at 21. Jayson Tatum hasn't done that in his career. He's noticeably better than he was at the beginning of last season and he was great at the end of last year.

We'll see. That's all we can do at this point. Let's see if he can sustain what he's doing. I have my doubts. 

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

morant is also terrible defensively 

They're both complete *** defensively.

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

and ja is shooting 44.4% from 3pt, so if we go by what he has always done that should go down significantly

It absolutely will. He's also not chucking up 8 3's a game. In fact, he's at 1.8 right now. So they are daring him to shoot and he's still getting his 18 a game by attacking. 

3 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

teams are trapping and hard hedging trae already cause he is so good. also because his team (minus Collins and Huerter) absolutely suck. teams are still daring ja to shoot. he like gets the rondo treatment.

Because the Grizzlies are oozing talent? LIS, they are daring him to shoot, he's taking 1.8 3s a game, so it's not like he's chucking, and he's still getting his by getting to the lane at will. He's an incredible finisher for someone in his frame. 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I think for the way defenses have to play trae and I think trae is the better passer, so I would go w/ him

Defenses are literally collapsing to the paint with Ja and he's still getting his. Also, higher assist numbers doesn't necessarily equal better passer. They are both monsters with the ball in their hands. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We'll see. That's all we can do at this point. Let's see if he can sustain what he's doing. I have my doubts. 

I'm not too concerned. His last 34 games were 23.6/9.1 on 44.3-36.4-85.3. Including this year we now have more evidence than not that he's a 35% plus shooter from 3. I doubt he'll average 27/game all season and but I fully expect him to average 24/9 on 44-45, 35-37, 82-86.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because the Grizzlies are oozing talent?

they are significantly better than what the hawks are putting out there

the top minutes played for the hawks, besides trae, are Hunter (who has been terrible), Jabari, Bembry, and Reddish (who might actually be the worst player in the nba playing rotation minutes). they literally don't have to guard anyone on the court but trae and the roller lol

jonas, jaren, brooks, and clarke are significantly better than anyone on the hawks who is playing rn

9 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

they are significantly better than what the hawks are putting out there

the top minutes played for the hawks, besides trae, are Hunter (who has been terrible), Jabari, Bembry, and Reddish (who might actually be the worst player in the nba playing rotation minutes). they literally don't have to guard anyone on the court but trae and the roller lol

jonas, jaren, brooks, and clarke are significantly better than anyone on the hawks who is playing rn

So then the on/off numbers should greatly benefit Ja, right? They are TERRIBLE with him on the bench. 

BTW, Jabari's been better than anyone sans Clarke on the Grizzlies according to BPM and VORP.

Edited by beekay414

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So then the on/off numbers should greatly benefit Ja, right? They are TERRIBLE with him on the bench. 

unless he is playing most of his minutes w/ the good players, which he is.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

BTW, Jabari's been better than anyone sans Clarke on the Grizzlies according to BPM and VORP.

trae is gonna save his career 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

unless he is playing most of his minutes w/ the good players, which he is.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, the starting PG plays with the starters? I'm shocked.

Regardless, I'm taking Ja. I don't trust Trae to maintain the one level of play he needs to sustain being a net positive. Once his J stops falling at his volume, he's back to being a barely above average PG.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, the starting PG plays with the starters? I'm shocked.

then what was your point in bringing up his on/off #s? lol

obvi if he plays w/ the good players on the team his on/off #s will be positive (and even more positive because the difference of going from good to bad instead of just bad to bad ala w/ trae)

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

then what was your point in bringing up his on/off #s? lol

obvi if he plays w/ the good players on the team his on/off #s will be positive (and even more positive because the difference of going from good to bad instead of just bad to bad ala w/ trae)

Uhhhhh because those guys flat out suck without him? Unless you think they all come off the court with Ja lol.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Uhhhhh because those guys flat out suck without him? Unless you think they all come off the court with Ja lol.

well they play most of their minutes together. Dillon and Ja have played like 82% of their minutes together. And Dillon has by far the best on/off on the team w/ a +19. So maybe the Grizz suck w/o Dillon. 

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

well they play most of their minutes together. Dillon and Ja have played like 82% of their minutes together. And Dillon has by far the best on/off on the team w/ a +19. So maybe the Grizz suck w/o Dillon.

Could be. Never know!

All I know is Ja isn't reliant on his jumper falling like Trae is. They really aren't alike at all so I guess it just depends on what you want. Do you want a lesser shooting Steve Nash or do you want a taller Allen Iverson. All about preference, I guess.