Ja Morant vs Trae Young

resilient part 2

Ja Morant vs. Trae Young, who do you build your team around  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Two very young, talented but slender point guards, if you had to pick one going forward to build your team around who do you build your team around going forward?

• Ja
    • Trae

• 2 weeks later...

Trae Young first 47 games

15.9 ppg 3.2 rpg 7.3 apg 0.9 spg 0.2 bpg 39.5-28.5-80.2 splits

Trae Young last 55 games

25.6 ppg 4.3 rpg 8.8 apg 1.1 spg 0.1 bpg 45.1-37.6-84.8 splits

Offensively he's going to be one of the best in the NBA for years and years to come.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

He’s not empty stats, he’s legitimately great offensively. He also happens to be the worst defender in the league.

Yeah I think it's fine calling his stats empty....right now....on a terrible team...but like he's an incredible talent/player. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Yeah I think it's fine calling his stats empty....right now....on a terrible team...but like he's an incredible talent/player. 

But it’s not like his offensive stats are garbage MCW-filler. He’s legitimately very impactful on that end.

Their biggest problem is they have no identity when he’s off the court and his teammates are improbably terrible. Hunter has been awful and Reddish might be the worst player in NBA history right now. Collins has only been there for 15 games.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He flat out doesn't impact the game enough on both ends. You can't be the worst defender in the league and have any type of positive impact. Young will always be an empty stats player. 

Derek Jeter was the worst defender in the league and had a positive impact lol.

Kind of a silly example, but you CAN be the worst defender and still create net positive value if you’re that good on offense. I’m sure there are plenty of statistics to support this conclusion in Young’s case.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Derek Jeter was the worst defender in the league and had a positive impact lol.

Kind of a silly example, but you CAN be the worst defender and still create net positive value if you’re that good on offense. I’m sure there are plenty of statistics to support this conclusion in Young’s case.

Yeah, if you're surrounded by positive value people, sure. Young will never be the #1 on a good team. He gets treated like a whipping boy on defense. 

I've always felt this way about players so it's not just a Trae Young thing. If you provide nothing of substance on one end of the court, you're simply not valuable. Empty stats all the way. 

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, if you're surrounded by positive value people, sure. Young will never be the #1 on a good team. He gets treated like a whipping boy on defense. 

I've always felt this way about players so it's not just a Trae Young thing. If you provide nothing of substance on one end of the court, you're simply not valuable. Empty stats all the way. 

So do you think James Harden, for example, made enough strides defensively? Or is just that much of a transcendent talent offensively? Because, IMO, Trae has transcendent offensive talent which is why I could see him being a great player. 

• Like 1