Replacing New Era Field

pf9

New Era Field is in its 47th season hosting the Bills this year.

It is obvious that the stadium will need to be replaced soon. The two main reasons for doing is that it is located in the suburbs (which some teams do successfully) and that it is an outdoor stadium and during late-season games, snow often falls while the temperature is very low.

In 1980, the Syracuse Orange football team opened the Carrier Dome, which was built because of weather concerns.

So, ideally, the Bills should build a stadium that has some sort of roof, like some other Northern teams have done (the Lions, Colts, and Vikings). Both the fact that it is a new stadium and the presence of a roof would greatly increase the city's chances of landing hosting rights to a Super Bowl, as well as a College Football Playoff national title game. I've proposed the latter be played outdoors up north but only in stadiums which are younger or renovated on a consistent basis, which means New Era Field would be out.

@pf9most Bills fans do not want to do anything to it. Yes it may seem outdated from the outside world but I have been to several stadiums that are more recently built and are horrible compared to New Era. You go to football games to watch your team play so having a ton of electronics is pointless and even so that can be updated. It may be in the suburbs but it gives the true Buffalo feel to it. People in the surrounding area count on that income on Sundays to have people park in the lots and it allows fans freedom to be able to come and go as they please where you do not have that option at most stadiums as it is owned by the city and they dictate hours of tailgating. One thing I enjoy doing is the tailgating there compared to other cities where you get a maximum of 3-4 hours before game time which only gives you 1-2 hours max to enjoy the tailgating. By the time the gates open to park and set up then head in to the game 30-45 min before hand prevents you from being able to light up the grill, crack open a few beers, and cook some food before going in. Another reason would be limited space if moving to Downtown Area of Buffalo and where to park. Finally a roof takes away from the stadium and honestly hoping for a Superbowl or College NC is wishful thinking as the stadium may be nice but who is going to want to go party out on the weekend of that main event in freezing weather so I never expect Buffalo to get either of them even with a new stadium. I am all for updating the stadium as best as possible but not change by adding a roof or location. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

I agree with @soflbillsfan in regards to a roof or changing location.

Would I be mad if they added a roof or something similar to Miami where the stands are protected? No. But I'm also not asking for it.

I think if the Bills end up building a new stadium it'll be done on the current lot or right beside it where the north lots/grass lots are. Buffalo may end up having to have home games at the Carrier Dome or something for a year, but a downtown stadium or one in Batavia/Niagara is extremely unlikely and unwanted IMO.

Edited by Trentwannabe

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Would I be mad if they added a roof or something similar to Miami where the stands are protected? No. But I'm also not asking for it.

I think if the Bills end up building a new stadium it'll be done on the current lot or right beside it where the north lots/grass lots are. Buffalo may end up having to have home games at the Carrier Dome or something for a year, but a downtown stadium or one in Batavia/Niagara is extremely unlikely and unwanted IMO.

Not sure if you have been but it freaking sucks having that roof protection in Miami. Only because its a 100 degrees and the visitor side at 1 pm games gets crushed with the sun the entire game especially lower bowl.. Since its partial roof it blocks the wind going through so not only is it hot and sunny but the air becomes stale making it even more miserable as no breeze can get through . It would be definitely different in Buffalo though might be beneficial. 

To add I just think Buffalo has a tradition and it would be a disaster if location was moved. You can pay billions for a stadium to be top quality but you will never get to keep that tradition going if it was moved out of that area like Goodell wants.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The Batavia idea was probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Like, i don’t think there could be a worse spot than Batavia.

I’ve come around recently to a domed stadium. No one wants to play in those frigid temperatures, or in snow fall. Yes, a ton of fans will be there but it’s also a deterrent to a lot of people as well. It looks fun on tv seeing people throw snowballs and look like idiots with their shirts off but we all know it isn’t fun sitting in the stand freezing your *** off then digging your car out of a snow bank after the game.

The location is perfect as is. What needs to be done, is we play a season in Syracuse whole New Era is torn down and another stadium is rebuilt in it’s place. I love love love the Ralph, even though I’ve never attended a meaningful late season game there, but let’s be real the place is a dump. It just is. We are in 2019, other teams have these state of the art stadium and we have one of the richest owners in the league. Let’s show off a bit 

15 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not sure if you have been but it freaking sucks having that roof protection in Miami. Only because its a 100 degrees and the visitor side at 1 pm games gets crushed with the sun the entire game especially lower bowl.. Since its partial roof it blocks the wind going through so not only is it hot and sunny but the air becomes stale making it even more miserable as no breeze can get through . It would be definitely different in Buffalo though might be beneficial. 

To add I just think Buffalo has a tradition and it would be a disaster if location was moved. You can pay billions for a stadium to be top quality but you will never get to keep that tradition going if it was moved out of that area like Goodell wants.

I have not been to Miami but that is good to know. If I ever attend a game there I;ll wait until December where it's cooler.

12 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

The Batavia idea was probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Like, i don’t think there could be a worse spot than Batavia.

I’ve come around recently to a domed stadium. No one wants to play in those frigid temperatures, or in snow fall. Yes, a ton of fans will be there but it’s also a deterrent to a lot of people as well. It looks fun on tv seeing people throw snowballs and look like idiots with their shirts off but we all know it isn’t fun sitting in the stand freezing your *** off then digging your car out of a snow bank after the game.

The location is perfect as is. What needs to be done, is we play a season in Syracuse whole New Era is torn down and another stadium is rebuilt in it’s place. I love love love the Ralph, even though I’ve never attended a meaningful late season game there, but let’s be real the place is a dump. It just is. We are in 2019, other teams have these state of the art stadium and we have one of the richest owners in the league. Let’s show off a bit 

This is why I am okay with the idea of the dome (though me myself not really asking for it). My dad has been a season ticket holder since 2001 and he hates these late weather games as do most of the older crowd for obvious reasons. I also think a dome adds to the 12th man and Billsmafia presence. I can only imagine how loud a dome could get with 70k people screaming their heads off.

As for the bolded, I think that is what the training center is/has done. Free agents talks and when guys like Gore & Beasley and others come in and rave about that performance center as the best in the league after being in Dallas and other high profile places, players listen. It also has paid dividends on the field with guys not having many nagging injuries lasting all season. 

On 2019-11-16 at 12:28 PM, Trentwannabe said:

This

Any new stadium will be in Orchard Park. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I have not been to Miami but that is good to know. If I ever attend a game there I;ll wait until December where it's cooler.

yes it can be miserable but yesterday it was overcast and in the 60s so it was perfect for the game as a fan, the beer actually stays cold more then 2 minutes. Usually the weather is so hot to enjoy, its been equivalent to one of the bills recent home openers where you are just to hot and want the game to end asap.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, bigbadbuff said:

State of the art meaning what? Maybe update the seats instead of bleachers in the upper deck but I am not sure what you really want from a stadium as it serves its purpose by watching the bills play. Showing off what Jerry Jones has does nothing but increase the cost of going to games. Are your going to be willing to pay an extra $20-200 a ticket because they have some side show going on during the game, or an updated bar? I have been fortunate enough to go to about half of the stadiums in the NFL and honestly all the showmanship means nothing to a fan of the sport. Having a dome can protect from the elements but the 1980s 1990s and 2000s late season games have benefited the bills especially against teams like Miami. I remember Ricky Williams hated playing the bills late in Buffalo because he was known to cough up the ball easier in the cold then when it was warm. Not saying everyone is like that but it benefited the bills. I just dont see spending a billion on a new place is worth it. Maybe they need to update the locker rooms for the players on both sides of the ball but as a fan you dont see that stuff. I am all in on them spending the money on the training facility as that has clearly paid off as injuries are a lot less this year then in years past. I think players would rather see that money in to their health then for fans to worry about having a high end hot dog or a craft cocktail with padded seats but thats my opinion.

As for parking nothing can be done whether your in a dome or not your car is still in a lot and needs to be dug out. 

• Like 1

I'm not in favor of building a new stadium I used to be when I wore a younger mans clothes.  First off if they ever build a new stadium the cost of season tickets would probably double also I'm not a Bills season ticket holder so I'm not sure but I believe that currently the season ticket holders do not pay a PSL which is a personal seating license basically a way for owners to make more money.  My Brother has season tickets for the Jets and he pays in total I think $30,000 for the seats he has not yearly they budget it out but It's expensive I know they are in a different market NY (NJ) but I believe with a new stadium comes the PSL.  Second weather brings an advantage to the Buffalo Bills and when I used to go to games I loved knowing that we had that advantage.  Third if they ever do get a new stadium it should stay where it's at in Orchard Park the parking is just great a lot of open space you cannot get that if they built the stadium in the City not to mention cost again the City would be much more expensive.  Lastly the size of the Stadium is huge it used to be 80,000 now I believe it's still above 70,000 if we built a new Stadium that would most likely be smaller in attendance.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-11-16 at 5:09 PM, soflbillsfan said:

this league has given up on tradition though, a real fault isn't it. Places get a mystique as they age and have decades of battles on their turf. Some stadiums were in bad shape,  that I can understand wanting to replace. The Philly Vet is an example there, players hated that stadium and the surface was said to be the worst can caused many injuries. 

If the league would have had the newer stadiums built for half the price, they still would have been more than adequate. It's like an arms race with these stadiums now, The JerryDome  might not be the best anymore:(