2020 MLB Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

devils1854

Im ready to get back into baseball. Ive been checking up on some scouting reports from the summer and whatnot, and I put together a really bad top 30 list, but dont pay too much attention to the number. I was more clustering names and I just decided to put numbers next to them so they would look better, and it would be a better format. The list will change a lot in the next few months and on into the season next year. This is just a very early starting point to where we can get some names out there that are being talked about, and throw out a little fun mock draft since we have a set order.

Here we go

TOP 30

1.Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
2.Spencer Torkelson||1B/OF||Arizona State
3.Pete Crow-Armstrong||CF||Harvard Westlake, CA
4.Austin Martin||SS||Vanderbilt
5.Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
6.Nick Gonzalez||2B||New Mexico State
7.Jared Jones||RHP||La Mirada, CA
8.Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
9.Austin Hendrick||RF||West Allegheny, PA
10.Asa Lacy||LHP||Texas A&M
11.Dylan Crews||RF||Lake Mary, FL
12.Tanner Burns||RHP||Auburn
13.Zac Veen||CF||Spruce Creek, FL
14.CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
15.Jared Kelly||RHP||Refugio, TX
16.Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami
17.Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX
18.Robert Hassell||CF||Independence, TN
19.JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
20.Casey Martin||SS||Arkansas
21.Cade Cavalli||RHP||Oklahoma
22.Jordan Walker||3B||Decatur, GA
23.Dax Fulton||LHP||Mustang, OK
24.Garrett Mitchell||CF||UCLA
25.Huge Fisher||LHP||Vanderbilt
26.Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
27.Ed Howard||SS||Mount Carmel, IL
28.Heston Kjerstad||RF||Arkansas
29.Blaze Jordan||1B||DeStoto Central, MS
30.Justin Foscue||2B||Mississippi State

MOCK DRAFT #1

Please disregard some of my lazy writing. I just wanted to say something about each pick.

1.Detroit-Austin Martin||SS||Vanderbilt
-Detroit took a SEC arm two years ago, and they need almost MLB ready talent on the field, so Austin Martin is the obvious fit.
2.Baltimore-Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
-Baltimore is in the take the best player business, but they could always go cheap, and HS like a Jared Kelly.
3.Miami-Nick Gonzalez||2B||New Mexico State
-I feel like Gonzalez fits the type of player Jeter is looking for, and after a hot summer, he could be Keston Hiura like.
4.Kansas City-Spencer Torkelson||1B/OF||Arizona State
-Torkelson is the best bat in college, but he might just be a 1B, so he slides to a happy Kansas City.
5.Toronto-Pete Crow-Armstrong||CF||Harvard Westlake, CA
-Toronto can be all over the place when it comes to the draft, so I went with the best talent in Armstrong.
6.Seattle-Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
-Seattle has not gone HS since 2014, but they have gone pitcher the past two years, and a potential talent like Abel hasnt been staring them in the face. Potential #1 talent.
7.Pittsburgh-Austin Hendrick||RF||West Allegheny, PA
-I think Hendrick kind of fits the profile of Travis Swaggerty and Austin Meadows, and I think he would edge out the HS pitchers here.
8.San Diego-Jared Kelly||RHP||Refugio, TX
-Just put down the top talent on the board, and I think Kelly would be at the top of San Diego's board. Easy.....
9.Colorado-Asa Lacy||LHP||Texas A&M
-Colorado has favored college players lately, and I think Lacy would fit the organization perfectly.
10.LA Angels-Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
-Not the normal guy you would see here for the Angels, but Wilcox has #1 stuff. Can he harnas it? LA needs someone like that in their win now organization.
11.Chi White Sox-Garrett Mitchell||CF||UCLA
-College hitter for the White Sox? Check! Mitchell is going top 5 in a lot of mocks, but his power is a major concern, and I dont think his profile is top 5 strong with the power questions.
12.Cincinnati-Jared Jones||RHP||La Mirada, CA
-I seem to be a little higher than some on Jones. I really like his fastball, and potential to get more out of his body. I think that fits what Cincy looks for.
13.San Francisco-Casey Martin||SS||Arkansas
-Another college hitter here for the Giants. Martin is being mocked top 10 by some, but players with his swing and miss dont really succeed in the majors.
14.Texas-Dylan Crews||RF||Lake Mary, FL
-Texas went the college hitter route last year, but they are known for the HS route early. I have them taking a toolsy guy here.
15.Philadelphia-JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
-Philly likes the college route, and Ginn is second year draft eligible. Very good risk/reward here.
16.Chi Cubs-Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
-A college player seems to be the way the team leans lately, and Bailey has slid a little after a rocky sophomore season. He is a very talented hit first catcher.
17.Boston-Tanner Burns||RHP||Auburn
-Burns has size, effort concerns, so that could mean the pen, but I think Boston sees enough here to take the talented college pitcher.
18.Arizona-Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX
-Arizona had a great draft of high potential HS guys, and I slot another one in right here. Romo is one of the better all around guys out of HS in the past few years.
19.NY Mets-Jordan Walker||3B||Decatur, GA
-Walker has been rising up boards with his power potential. Fits into the Mets system nicely.
20.Milwaukee-Robert Hassell||CF||Independence, TN
-Hassell is another big time athlete. The Brewers have taken guys like this in the first couple rounds lately.
21.St Louis-Zac Veen||CF||Spruce Creek, FL
-Veen has top ten talent. Slides here for no reason, and St Louis grabs him.
22.Washington-CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
-Eyk is going to be a polished college arm when the draft rolls around, and thats a profile the Nats have taken before.
23.Cleveland-Ed Howard||SS||Mount Carmel, IL
-Cleveland has gone deep into the high school ranks in the early rounds the past couple years, and Howard is a guy moving up boards.
24.Tampa Bay-Reid Detmers||LHP||Louisville
-Middle of the field and high ceiling college lefties are a trend with Tampa. Detmers fits in with McKay, McClanahan, and Doaxis from the past few years.
25.Atlanta-Blaze Jordan||1B||DeStoto Central, MS
-I honestly dont know where to go with Atlanta. 2019 was a fill the organization draft with lower ceiling college talent at the top. Im going with the polarizing Blaze Jordan.
26.Oakland-Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami
-Oakland goes a lot of ways, but they like athletic shortstops, and that is Zamora. The bat came around during his sophomore year.
27.Minnesota-Justin Foscue||2B||Mississippi State
-Foscue is the low strike out, gap power with more potential, higher floor types that we've seen the Twins take in the past few drafts.
28.NY Yankees-Robby Ashford||CF||Hoover, AL
-The Yankees have been building from the HS ranks a lot the past few years, and Ashford is a great athlete thats committed to play football at Ole Miss.
29.LA Dodgers-Dax Fulton||LHP||Mustang, OK
-Dodgers often go with the best player on their board, and thats possibly the 6'6 hard throwing Fulton.
30.Houston-Heston Kjerstad||RF||Arkansas
-I really wanted a pitcher here. The Astros really need to restock, but I dont see one worthy that fits, so I went with another top college hitter to fit into the system.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

But can he hit? That's where we've failed lol.

Fangraphs has him at #8 overall in their latest rankings. This is their little blurb about him.

Advanced bat-to-ball skills and enough pop to profiled as a Nick Markakis type last summer, looked closer to a Drew Waters type this summer, though with a little less bat speed.

I wouldnt go as far as Drew Waters. I would go with someone like Brandon Marsh, who Im pretty big on.

11 hours ago, devils1854 said:

6.Seattle-Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
-Seattle has not gone HS since 2014, but they have gone pitcher the past two years, and a potential talent like Abel hasnt been staring them in the face. Potential #1 talent.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy with that. Don't like taking prep arms that high, but the M's need a potential ace in their system. 

• 3 months later...

College baseball just started, so I got a two round mock draft. A good amount of movement from last time.

1.Detroit-Austin Martin||SS||Vanderbilt
-Detroit is loaded with starting pitching in AA/AAA, but they have no big offensive prospect. Martin is the best overall hitter in the draft, and will pay either short or center.
2.Baltimore-Spencer Torkelson||1B||Arizona State
-Torkelson is a better 1B prospect than Andrew Vaughn, and would be a very nice pairing with Adley Rutschman.
3.Miami-Nick Gonzalez||2B||New Mexico State
-Miami went hitter heavy last year, and I went hitter here. Gonzalez had a great Cape, which verified his video game stats at New Mexico State.
4.Kansas City-Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
-Kansas City gets the top prospect fall into their laps. Hancock will instantly become their number one prospect.
5.Toronto-Ed Howard||SS||Mount Carmel, IL
-Howard has more helium than anyone in the draft right now. He is huge projection coming from Illinois, and he should stick at short.
6.Seattle-Garrett Crochet||LHP||Tennessee
-This is a little projection because Crochet was hitting 100 this past fall, but if the mph hold in games, he could skyrocket.
7.Pittsburgh-Austin Hendrick||OF||West Allegheny, PA
-Hendrick is BPA here, and it also helps that he is a hometown boy. Fits the Pittsburgh profile.
8.San Diego-Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
-San Diego goes BPA and Abel is that. Being from Oregon, there is a lot of projection.
9.Colorado-Austin Wells||C||Arizona
-Wells is a hit first, sophomore eligible bat first catcher, who had an excellent freshman season and a even better summer in the Cape.
10.LA Angels-Robert Hassell||OF||Independence, TN
-Angels love athletes, and Hassell has the chance to stick in center with a plus arm, and have one of the better hit tools in high school.
11.CHI White Sox-Garrett Mitchell||OF||UCLA
-If Mitchell can show some power this year, he could be in that first tier to some scouts. He is the perfect pick for the White Sox.
12.Cincinnati-Nick Bitsko||RHP||Central Bucks East, PA
-Bitsko reclassified to the 2020 draft. He isnt as picked through as others since most scouts havent focused on him yet. Plus fastball with body projection.
13.San Francisco-Justin Foscue||2B||Mississippi State
-Foscue is one of my favorite prospects in the draft, and if teams are ok with his below average defense, they could get one of the best offensive prospects in the draft.
14.Texas-Pete Crow-Armstrong||OF||Harvard Westlake, CA
-Texas loves high school athletes and Armstrong is on the Nolan Gorman/Brice Turang path. He has been in the spotlight so long, prospect fatigue sets in, but Armstrong is a great athlete that should be good in center and should have plenty of pop.
15.Philadelphia-Asa Lacy||LHP||Texas A&M
-Lacy could be a top ten pick, but a deep draft pushes him down to the middle of the first here. Philly was college heavy with pitchers in 2019.
16.CHI Cubs-Jordan Westburg||SS||Mississippi State
-Westburg starts tier two for college hitters, and I have him over Casey Martin here because he will play a good shortstop and Westburg doesnt have contact issues.
17.Boston-Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
-Is Boston going to care about their farm system now? If so, number one overall talent can fall into their lap here.
18.Arizona-Jared Kelly||RHP||Refugio, TX
-Arizona is building a great system through international guys and high schoolers in the draft. Kelly has top ten talent with two plus pitches.
19.NY Mets-Zac Veen||OF||Spruce Creek, FL
-Veen is a big 6'4 kid that is very projectable, and looks like a prototypical right fielder.
20.Milwaukee-Jordan Walker||3B||Decatur, GA
-Walker is a huge kid that doesnt turn 18 until May. Athletic, and has a lot of potential power because there is a lot of projection in his frame.
21.St Louis-CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
-Van Eyk was hitting 98 in his first start this past weekend. If he can continue to do this, he will fly up boards.
22.Washington-Reid Detmers||LHP||Louisville
-Detmers is a guy I could see land in the top ten. He doesnt have the ceiling of other college prospects, but he projects to be a solid lefty third starter.
23.Cleveland-Dylan Crews||OF||Lake Mary, FL
-Crews stock has talen a little hit, but if he can rebound this spring, he is a potential power hitting center fielder.
24.Tampa Bay-Casey Martin||SS||Arkansas
-Players that strike out as much as Martin in college, do not have success in professional baseball. He will go in the first round because of speed and surprising pop in his small frame.
25.Atlanta-JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
-Ginn has the pitchability to go in the first half of the draft, but there are durability and delivery concerns.
26.Oakland-Tyler Soderstrom||C||Turlock, CA
-If a team believes that they can develop Soderstrom behind the plate, then his hitting ability will put him in the first round.
27.Minnesota-Chase Davis||OF||Franklin, CA
-Davis is a left handed, corner outfielder, with good on base skills, not unlike past first rounders in Kirilloff and Larnach.
28.NY Yankees-Alex Santos||RHP||Mount St Michael, NY
-Santos is a cold weather arm that touches 95 right now, with a body that can fill out and add more ticks to the fastball.
29.LA Dodgers-Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
-A weak summer has pushed Bailey down a little. He is a good defender, which gives him a high floor. He is going to need to hit this spring to stay in the first round.

30.Baltimore-Jared Jones||RHP||La Mirada, CA
-Jones is a athletic kid with a electric fastball, but needs to learn command.
31.Pittsburgh-Dax Fulton||LHP||Mustang, OK
-Fullton is a huge, projectable 6'6 kid that is out with tommy john this spring. If that doesnt scare teams away, he will go high.
32.Kansas City-Masyn Winn||RHP/SS||Kingwood, TX
-He hit 98 this fall and showed a plus curve. He is also a top five round prospect at shortstop.
33.Arizona-Yohandy Morales||3B||Braddock, FL
-Tall and lean who is one of the best power hitters from the high school class. Very raw though.
34.San Diego-Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX
-Romo might be the best defensive catching prospect in the draft. He has Gold Glove ability. The bat is a huge question mark.
35.Colorado-Carmen Mlodzinski||RHP||South Carolina
-A broken foot caused him to miss almost all the 2019 season. He came back and was electric in the Cape and had even better fall camp reports. Potential riser.
36.Cleveland-Carson Montgomery||RHP||West Orange, FL
-Montgomery is a good athlete that doesnt have any plus pitches currently, but both the fastball and slider have potential to be plus.
37.Tampa Bay-Cade Cavalli||RHP||Oklahoma
-Raw is not the word cor Cavalli. Missed a lot of high school career because of injury and spent his freshman season at first. He flashed number one overall talent at times last year.

38.Detroit-Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami
39.Baltimore-Petey Halpin||OF||St Francis, CA
40.Miami-Cayden Wallace||3B||Greenbrier, AR
41.Kansas City-Heston Kjerstad||OF||Arkansas
42.Toronto-Tanner Burns||RHP||Auburn
43.Seattle-Max Meyer||RHP||Minnesota
44.Pittsburgh-Gage Workman||3B||Arizona State
45.San Diego-Kyle Nicolas||RHP||Ball State
46.Colorado-Cade Horton||RHP/SS||Norman, OK
47.CHI White Sox-Slade Cecconi||RHP||Miami
48.Cincinnati-Drew Bowser||3B||Harvard Westlake, CA
49.San Francisco-Jake Eder||LHP||Vanderbilt
50.Texas-Blaze Jordan||1B||DeSoto Central, MS
51.CHI Cubs-Chris McMahon||RHP||Miami
52.Boston-Robby Ashford||OF||Hoover, AL
53.NY Mets-Cam Brown||RHP||Flower Mound, TX
54.Milwaukee-Burl Carraway||LHP||Dallas Baptist
55.St Louis-Aaron Sabato||1B||North Carolina
56.Washington-Parker Chavers||OF||Coastal Carolina
57.Cleveland-Harold Coll||SS||Georgia Perimeter Academy
58.Tampa Bay-Tanner Witt||3B/RHP||Episcopal, TX
59.Oakland-Daniel Cabrera||OF||LSU
60.Minnesota-Tommy Mace||RHP||Florida
61.LA Dodgers-Hugh Fisher||LHP||Vanderbilt

62.Miami-Hudson Haskin||OF||Tulane
63.Detroit-Alerick Soularie||OF||Tennessee
64.St Louis-Elijah Nunez||OF||Martin, TX
65.Seattle-Carson Tucker||SS||Mountain Pointe, AZ
66.Cincinnati-Logan Allen||LHP||Florida International
67.LA Dodgers-Kyle Teel||C||Mahwah, NJ

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

Who really knows at this point, but I kind of expect the Reds to go college pitcher again since that is where the strength of this draft is at.  That would put the 2020 1st pick, Hunter Greene, and Nick Lodolo on a similar path to the big leagues in the same 1-2 year period to be the pitching core for 3-5 years after Sonny and Castillo near the end of their deals.

To the first post, I don't think the Orioles will go cheap.  Ever since Matt Wieters and Jake Arrieta, the Orioles under Peter Angelos would be willing to spend in the draft.  Mike Elias, along with the sons of Peter, looked to do the same last year where they sprang more money for Gunner Henderson.  

I'd love to get Torkelson.  That power will play extremely well at OPACY.  After last year's focus on hitting, I could see Hancock being the pick and this draft be heavy on pitchers.  Or, if Detroit doesn't take Austin Martin, I could see him being in play.  Elias did some interviews recently and was asked what kind of prospect does he like the most, and his answer was a great shortstop.  

On 3/2/2020 at 8:09 AM, Slateman said:

Wait … draft order is based on regular season records? So even though the Nats won the WS, they don't pick 30th?

Humble brag, we won the World Series and saved baseball. Twice. 

Regular season order.

Some updates from the first few weeks of the season.

His "fall" was ridiculous and probably media driven. He's possibly the best all around high school prospect in the draft.

12 in 13 games total. Thats beyond crazy, but we do have to realize that he does play in one of the absolute most hitter friendly parks in america, so take it with a grain of salt, but 12 in 13 is killing it no matter where you are. I still think he crashes the party and pushes one of the big three down to the Royals at 4.

Ginn is definitely going back to school next year for his third season. No reason to go to the draft this year while injured as a draft eligible sophomore.