2020 MLB Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

devils1854

If they cancel the draft, could guys who now qualify because of eligibility rules become free agents?  If so, I bet the teams would end up spending more than $400 million.  Hell, just the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs might spend $400 million in that case.

Manfried is using this virus to kill minor league baseball as we know it, so he can implement his plan from last year.

First the draft stuff. Manfried gets to choose whether its 5 rounds or up to 10? Potentially cutting it to 20 rounds next year? Players that arent drafted can only sign for 20k. We are expecting the NCAA to give everyone an extra year in college, so even seniors will have leverage this draft.

Its coming out that even if there is a MLB season, minor league baseball is up in the air, and there is a good chance that teams keep minor league players in camp and play either camp games all summer, or have all leagues at the team facilities this year.

Minor league teams will fold with no season this year. Manfried wont even have to make teams lose their affiliation. Less players coming in through the draft these next two seasons means we dont need as many teams. Pioneer League, Appalachian League, and probably the NY/Penn league have played their last games as MLB affiliations. Short season ball is done. The teams that will fold that Manfried wants to keep? He(affiliated organization) will give these teams money.

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Manfried is using this virus to kill minor league baseball as we know it, so he can implement his plan from last year.

First the draft stuff. Manfried gets to choose whether its 5 rounds or up to 10? Potentially cutting it to 20 rounds next year? Players that arent drafted can only sign for 20k. We are expecting the NCAA to give everyone an extra year in college, so even seniors will have leverage this draft.

Its coming out that even if there is a MLB season, minor league baseball is up in the air, and there is a good chance that teams keep minor league players in camp and play either camp games all summer, or have all leagues at the team facilities this year.

Minor league teams will fold with no season this year. Manfried wont even have to make teams lose their affiliation. Less players coming in through the draft these next two seasons means we dont need as many teams. Pioneer League, Appalachian League, and probably the NY/Penn league have played their last games as MLB affiliations. Short season ball is done. The teams that will fold that Manfried wants to keep? He(affiliated organization) will give these teams money.

I have never hated a man with such intensity. He's killing the sport I love and accelerating it so quickly that I don't even know if I'll recognize it by 2025.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Great post.  Also agree with @Thelonebillsfan that baseball may be fundamentally different in 2025 than it was in 2019.  

I've also been hearing about the possibility of lengthening or expanding the Arizona Fall League as well.  

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Great post.  Also agree with @Thelonebillsfan that baseball may be fundamentally different in 2025 than it was in 2019.  

I've also been hearing about the possibility of lengthening or expanding the Arizona Fall League as well.  

The stuff about the AFL makes sense. If there is no short season affiliated ball, teams might wait until the AFL to debut draft picks/signings. I think we will see a lot younger players as well. The AFL has been top prospects and a lot of older guys pushing prospect status, but with no short season or rookie leagues, organizations will want to see these younger guys like a Luciano or a Dominguez play against competition thats not on their own back fields. I could see fall leagues pop up in both Arizona and Florida and each organization gets their own team.

Since I have tons of time at home now, I decided to start a mock draft. Since the abrupt end of baseball, there are more questions on players than there ever has been. This is going to be such a unpredictable draft because with not much info for the 2020 season, teams are going to have to rely on old scouting reports and whatever workouts can be held before the draft, and everyone eligible for the draft can go to college in 2021, so thats another issue with signability and players. Because of that, I decided to do a mock draft on what I would do if I were the head of each team using my rankings. Originally I wanted to do a full five round draft, but once I got to about the mid third round, it started getting tough. So I just did four rounds. I got to learn about a lot more prospects, so there is that.

First Round
1.Detroit-Austin Martin||CF/SS||Vanderbilt
-Pretty easy pick. I'm not taking the 1B #1 overall, and no on Hancock because Detroit has a much bigger need for a position player.
2.Baltimore-Spencer Torkelson||1B||Arizona State
-Another easy pick. I want to pair Torkelson with Rutschmann, and Baltimore does have a pair of top 50 arms already in their system.
3.Miami-Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
-The last of the big three. Miami has good depth in pitching, but they really dont have a guy that can be an ace, and thats where Hancock comes in.
4.Kansas City-Pete Crow-Armstrong||CF||Harvard Westlake, CA
-The Royals farm system had a year to forget in 2019. Their supposed top hitters all floundered, and no pitcher really took a next step. In comes PCA. My 4th ranked player. He should have above average defense in center, and he is was back to his normal swing in the fall. Fits well next to Bobby Witt Jr.
5.Toronto-Asa Lacy||LHP||Texas A&M
-Toronto's window is opening soon with their top hitting prospects hitting the majors now. They need pitching. Asa Lacy was maybe the best pitcher in college baseball this year. He dominated everyone. He still needs to work on his command, but he has a dominating fastball from the left side, and should rise quickly.
6.Seattle-Garrett Mitchell||CF||UCLA
-Seattle went with a pitcher in the first round in 2019, and I really would like another. Shed Long, Evan White, and Kyle Lewis could all start in Seattle this year, and Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez arent that far behind. Unfortunately, there was no one here I liked, and instead of going with a high school player, I went with the polarizing Garrett Mitchell. His speed and defense in center should allow him to be an every day player even if the power doesnt come, and the bat isnt quite what some project. He could be a true 5 tool guy if he develops, and his timeline shouldnt be too far behind the rest of the systems top hitters.
7.Pittsburgh-Austin Hendrick||RF||West Allegheny, PA
-Pittsburgh's organization has been one of the worst run in all of baseball the past few years. Drafting certain types of players with no real upside. Pitchers not developing because of antiquated thinking. So on and so on. I just want a good baseball player here. Hendrick is BPA and is a hometown boy. Perfect.
8.San Diego-Jared Kelly||RHP||Refugio, TX
-The Padres have a strong system, so there really isnt any position I want to focus on. Jared Kelly has 1/1 talent. He is a high school prep arm, and that can scare a lot of teams. He has been flat out dominant since last summer with a plus fastball that hits 98, and an already plus changeup.
9.Colorado-Garrett Crochet||LHP||Tennessee
-Im not a fan of how Colorado drafts. They definitely have a type, and much like the Pirates under the last regime, its old thinking. Colorado needs pitching. Not safe, high floor college guys like Reid Detmers. They have plenty of that already. They need an ace, or at least someone with #2 starter traits. This is probably early for Crochet since he threw only three innings this year because of some injury issues. Crochet is a very talented lefty though, and has enough tape from his sophomore year to go along with the potential, so I think its smart that Colorado takes this risk. Plus, they could go underslot here with Crochet, and splurge on their competitive balance pick.
10.LA Angels-Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
You dont draft for major league needs. I do here. To say the Angels need pitching is an understatement. They dont have anyone of note in the minors. Its all hitting from the top down. Wilcox has ace talent, and he was on his way to showing it this year before the season was cancelled. He had 32 Ks and 2 BBs in 23 innings this year. It wasnt against great teams, but I see enough to put his potential over a higher floor guy in Detmers.
11.CHI Sox-Reid Detmers||LHP||Louisville
-Ive mentioned Reid Detmers twice before, and he goes here. The White Sox go college hitters. Everyone knows that. There is tons of young hitting talent all throughout the system. Michael Kopech and Dane Dunning are their top pitching prospects, and both are coming of TJS. They need pitching help, and they need it to be ready sooner than later, so Detmers is perfect. He will probably be one of the first guys from this class to make the majors. I dont want to put him down too much, because I have him over all college first rounders from last year. He is going to throw 91-93 with a major league curve and changeup, and hit his spots. He should be a good middle of the rotation guy.
12.Cincinnati-Robert Hassell||CF||Independence, TN
-Nick Senzel was a top 10 prospect in baseball before 2019. He dealt with some injury issues, and had a descent rookie year. That looks to not be enough for the Reds. They want to win now, and brought in a ton of guys for 2020, and Senzel might not even have a spot. So, we dont have to look for a guy that can help the team soon. Hassell is my top rated player here. I believe he will stick in center, so the value is right, here. Plus hitting tool, but the power is the question.
13.San Francisco-Justin Foscue||2B||Mississippi State
-I want a pitcher here since the Giants have been going position player the past few years, but there isnt value with the run of college pitchers a few picks earlier. Im going with one of my favorite players in the draft in Justin Foscue. He is a 2b with tons of pop. Ive read comparisons to former Giant, Jeff Kent. Foscue has a long way to go to reach those heights, but he has the same profile as Kent. He's also 2B only, and wont win any defensive awards. In the real draft, he will go lower because of this.
14.Texas-Heston Kjerstad||RF/1B||Arkansas
-I put Texas in the group of teams that really have no clue when it comes to the minor leagues, drafting, and development. Top draft picks and international signings are peaking in A ball. There really isnt too much there. The organization is also pushing to be competitive now since they are going into a new park. With that mindset, I took one of the most major league ready players in the draft. Kjerstad has a long history of hitting, and he looked like he was at another level with Arkansas this season. He was hitting .448 with 11 XBH in 16 games for the Razorbacks. Defensively he is a liability, and will end up at first or DH in the future, but for now, you plug him into a corner and hope he doesnt embarrass himself.
15.Philadelphia-Zac Veen||CF||Spruce Creek, FL
-The Phillies are in win now mode with a win now roster, so high riser Zac Veen is the pick. The early season hype is looking like its going to push him up into the top 10, but I still question his athletic ability. I think he will end up at a corner spot. The rest of his tools are solid, but I dont think any are plus, and I dont think he is close to unlocking the power potential in his 6'4 frame.
16.CHI Cubs-Cade Cavalli||RHP||Oklahoma
-How much money does the Cubs still owe to their old pitching staff? The rotation should be a major concern for a team looking to contend now. Im a little higher of Cavalli than most, so I think he makes a lot of sense here. Cavalli really got into pitching his junior year of high school, and became a highly touted prospect from that one year. He missed his senior season. He also played 1st during his freshman year at Oklahoma. He took the mound as a sophomore and was dominant at times. He sits in the mid 90s with his fastball and can get more from it when needed. He has a plus curveball, that could be one of the best in the draft. He is just raw and has no command right now. There is a lot to like. There is also a lot that could scare you away.
17.Boston-Ed Howard||SS||Mount Carmel, IL
-Boston didnt have a lot of picks last year, but I really like what they did. They took chances on high end talent from both the college and high school ranks that slipped for whatever reason, and for the most part, was able to sign them. Ed Howard is a no brainier here. With a full baseball season, Howard probably could have ridden the helium that started last year to a higher slot, but Boston is glad he is here. Howard is a great athlete that could be a Gold Glove type of guy in the future. He also has a lot of projectability with his body. He hits the ball hard now but with age and a workout program, he could unlock big time power in his body.
18.Arizona-Jordan Walker||3B/1B||Decatur, GA
-The D-backs have done a great job of retooling their minor league system the past few years. They have a good number of high profile hitters at the top that could be big impact players. They also went big on the pitching side in the 2019 draft, and hopes they can start to see results from those players soon. Because of this depth, I decided to take the prep power bat from Georgia. Walker doesnt turn 18 until the end of May, but he is already 6'5 225. Because of that size, he has some of the best power in the draft. He will need to shorten his swing once he gets to professional baseball. Its a big question mark right now. Defensively, he has the athleticism to stay at third, unless he just grows. Think Austin Riley.
19.NY Mets-Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
-Patrick Bailey has been veteran of USA baseball since he was in high school. He is a true junior at North Carolina State, and doesnt turn 21 until the end of May. He's a very athletic catcher, with a good arm. That right there is enough for him to be a first rounder since the position isnt producing quality players that often. Thats a little bit of a joke, but its also party true. Bailey does have good power from both sides, so even if he doesnt hit for average, the power and defense should be enough to find him a starting job in the majors.
20.Milwaukee-Max Meyer||RHP||Minnesota
-Meyer is 6'0 tall and about 180 pounds. He was the closer for team USA and could get it up to close to 100. For the Gophers, he has been a fine starter for the past couple of years, but that was taken to a new level in 2020. He is the other pitcher that could claim the title of best pitcher in college baseball in 2020. He dominated North Carolina and was still hitting 96 late into the game. He also has the best slider in the draft. I slotted him here to Milwaukee because even if he cant become a guy that throws 6-7 innings every five days, he could become another version of Josh Hader, and shorten the games when he comes in for 2-3 innings. The potential is worth the risk here at 20.
21.St Louis-Nick Gonzalez||2B||New Mexico State
-Gonzalez might play in the most hitter friendly stadium in all of baseball. On earth. He flew up draft boards because he hit in the Cape last year. I had him in the top five. I watched most of the series that Gonzalez had in College Station against Texas A&M, and I did not see a top five pick. He looked lost at times, and couldnt touch some heat. Im not going to use one three game series to say the kid sucks, especially when he showed what he could do against competition last summer. If you believe in the offense, then he is worth taking. The Cardinals do make sense.
22.Washington-Nick Bitsko||RHP||Central Bucks East, PA
-Bitsko reclassified for the 2020 draft. He is also committed to Virginia, and they have ways of getting guys to campus, so he could be a tough sign if he doesnt go in the top 10-15 picks. He has the talent. He just slides here. Washington is perfect. They will take chances on guys with injuries. They will take chances on guys with off field incidents. Money will be a problem because the talent is there.
23.Cleveland-Daniel Cabrera||LF||LSU
-What does Cleveland need? Outfielders. What has the front office done to fix this problem? Domingo Santana and Delino DeShields Jr. Cabrera cant help the team in 2020, but he is a very polished bat first outfielder. He is probably stuck in left, but he hits. Both his hitting and power tools look to be above average.
24.Tampa Bay-Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
-Unless he is a tough sign, Abel is going to go higher. Its probably prospect fatigue, and me watching too much of him, but I think he is going to have issues. I dont know if its conditioning or what, but Abel has the tendency to not fully stride on his windup. He has such an easy delivery and easy heat that it hasnt been an issue at all, but it looks like he is completely closing off his lower half when he doesnt fully stride. His command waivers, and his secondary pitches arent sharp. I think he needs work on the secondary stuff as well. All that negative, but the positive is huge as well, and Tampa would run to this selection.
25.Atlanta-Harold Coll||SS||Georgia Premier Academy
-I was hoping for a prep pitcher here, but the last one went the pick before, so Im going way off board for a guy that would be a first round lock with a full 2020 season. At the PBR60 in February, 97 off the bat, 97 throwing across the diamond. He could be the best defensive player in the draft. He's a natural shortstop with quick hands that makes everything look easy. Those hands help him at the plate as well. He has some swing and miss, but he has great pop for his size. Atlanta loves underslot deals and they dont have a second round pick, so this could be a spot where the save money for a sliding player in the third round.
26.Oakland-Tyler Soderstrom||C||Turlock, CA
After Luzardo, Puk, and Murphy exhaust their prospect eligibility in 2020, who is left in the system? Jorge Mateo? Logan Davidson? 17 year old Robert Puason who hasnt picked up a bat yet? The A's will have the worst system in baseball. The front office has made missteps and had many misses the past few years, so any talented player will work here. Tyler Soderstom is a very good athlete at 6'2 200 pounds. He is way behind defensively at catcher, so he might find himself at a corner outfield spot sooner than later. The bat plays though. He hits balls hard, and could have a plus hitting tool. Power could come as well, and he does have the frame for it.
27.Minnesota-JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
-The Twins searched all offseason for help pitching wise, and while they helped their depth immensely, they still need an ace. Instead of trying to convince on to come to Minnesota or trade for one, lets draft someone that could potentially be that guy. Ginn was lost for the season on February with TJS, but Ginn has first round pedigree after being selected 30th overall by the Dodgers in 2018, and he was impressive as a freshman for Mississippi State. Ginn does have all the leverage since he will be a returning sophomore in 2021, but Minnesota needs to take this chance while the opportunity is there.
28.NY Yankees-Bryce Jarvis||RHP||Duke
-Jarvis was mostly a swingman for Duke during his first two years in the program. It wasnt until this spring that he really came on draft radars. His last start of the spring was against a good Florida State offense. He went 7 innings. Gave up 1 hit. One walk. 12 strikeouts. He's not really a power pitcher. He can hit the mid 90s, but he really relies on his good to great offspeed pitches and command to get hitters out. Because of command, make up, and 2020 results, I have no problems having him here over a number of college arms that have longer pedigrees, maybe a little more ceiling, but not the total package that Jarvis has. He could be a guy that shows up the pen to start his career because of his pitchability, his experience there, and because of the need for good pitchers.
29.LA Dodgers-Dax Fulton||LHP||Mustang, OK
-What do you get for the team with the most talented roster in baseball and a top five system? How about a 6'6 lefty with a deceptive fastball because of his height? Fulton had TJS last September, but with potentially no baseball this year, thats really not a problem. Fulton also has a potentially plus curveball to add to the heater. Fulton has signed with Oklahoma and could be a very tough sign.

COMPETITIVE BALANCE A
30.Baltimore-Carmen Mlodzinski||RHP||South Carolina
-Mlodzinski was maybe the best pitching prospect in the Cape last year. The problem is that he hasnt shown anything during a college season. His first two years werent very good, and his one start againt good competition in 2020 was against Clemson, and he gave up 10 hits and 6 runs. His mid 90s fastball and potentially plus slider are enough to take him here.
31.Pittsburgh-Jared Jones||RHP||La Mirada, CA
-If Jared Jones was just a little bigger, he would be a top 20 prospect. He shows a plus fastball with life. His slider can be a plus pitch if he is on top of it and it has its complete break. He's very raw, but very talented, and Pittsburgh just needs talented bodies.
32.Kansas City-Alex Santos||RHP||Mount St Michael, NY
-Santos is from New York City, so he is very raw. He has a nice projectable frame that could help see his fastball get more ticks. Kansas City is another team that just needs top talent.
33.Arizona-Jordan Westburg||SS||Mississippi State
-Value pick here for Arizona. I have Westburg in the 20s. He is big for a shortstop, but he has the arm and speed to make it work, but if he gains muscle for more power, he will have to move off.
34.San Diego-Casey Martin||SS||Arkansas
-Martin is a talented guy. 80 speed. He has 20+ home run potential at shortstop. He struck out 22 times in 71 plate appearances for Arkansas this season. That much swing in miss does not translate to the MLB. Its a fact. I have him going this high because someone will take a chance early and think they can change the swing.
35.Colorado-Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX
-Colorado got its pitcher in the first, and with the potential underslot savings, they can go after the first round talent in Drew Romo. Defense is Romo's game, and he is great at it. He should be a major league catcher because of it. If he can hit at all, he could be franchise type guy.
36.Cleveland-Parker Chavers||CF||Coastal Carolina
What does Cleveland need? Outfielders. What are we giving them with their second pick? Another college outfielder. Chavers had shoulder surgery during this past offseason and was close to returning for Coastal Carolina when the season was cancelled. He will stick in center because of his speed. Has surprising pop for his size.
37.Tampa Bay-Austin Wells||C||Arizona
-Wells is a bat first catcher. He's not very good defensively, and thats going to scare teams. He has played some first, and if Evan Gattis or Kyle Schwarber can play left, Wells might be able to as well. The bat is good enough to find him a place. Tampa loves players playing multiple positions, so this is a fit.

SECOND ROUND
38.Detroit-Dylan Crews||RF||Lake Mary, FL
-Lets get Detroit another hitter. Crews has a good bat, but lack of position pushes him out of the first.
39.Baltimore-CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
-Consistency is the key for Van Eyk. Can be a mid-rotation guy, or he could be in the pen hitting 99 in a year.
40.Miami-Yohandy Morales||3B/SS||Braddock, FL
-The swing has way too many moving parts. Athletic kid that will get the chance to play shortstop.
41.Kansas City-Blaze Jordan||1B||DeSoto Central, MS
-Kansas City needs excitement and talent. That organization needs to wake up. Jordan is polarizing. Possible 80 power, but limited to first.
42.Toronto-David Calabrese||CF||St Elizabeth, ON
-I love this kid. Sparkplug type of guy that actually has talent. Plus plus runner that doesnt turn 18 until September because of reclassification.
43.Seattle-Masyn Winn||RHP/SS||Kingwood, TX
-If Winn were taller, he would be a first round pick. He is 5'10 and is a legitimate day one/two prospect as a pitcher and a shortstop. Can hit 98 from the mound.
44.Pittsburgh-Robby Ashford||CF||Hoover, AL
-I said Pittsburgh needed talent. Will they be able to sign Ashford from his football commitment to Oregon? He is a 4* dual threat QB that could play early.
45.San Diego-Petey Halpin||CF||St Francis, CA
-Plus runner and a possible plus arm. The bat is improving, but speed and defense are his calling card right now
46.Colorado-Nick Swiney||LHP||North Carolina State
-Back to pitching for the Rockies. Struck out 95 in 56 inn in 2019 as a reliever. 42 in 28 inn this year with 6 BB as the Fri starter. Good secondary offerings.
47.CHI Sox-Tommy Mace||RHP||Florida
-Went pitcher with the first pick, and going back again. Mace is 6'6 and lanky. Has been more projection than performance in Gainesville, but started strong in 2020.
48.Cincinnati-Bobby Miller||RHP||Louisville
-The Reds arent that deep starting pitching wise, so taking Miller here is obvious to me. Fastball/slider combo is 1st round worthy but control issues.
49.San Francisco-Connor Phillips||RHP||McLennan JC
-Pitching is deep in the second, and the Giants need one. Spurned LSU for JUCO, Phillips wanted to be back in the draft in 2020. Super talented. Super wild.
50.Texas-Liam Norris||LHP||Green Hope, NC
-Norris needs to refine his delivery and might be maxed out physically, but he has a good fastball from the left side and a couple of offspeed pitches that flash.
51.CHI Cubs-Chase Davis||RF||Franklin, CA
-Prototypical RF traits from Davis. Big(6'4) and strong. Good straight line speed, and a above average arm. Sacrifices average for power at times.
52.Boston-Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami
-Zamora needs to take slot and get out of Miami.Close to lock for the 1st round six months ago. An injury and suspension has moved him down boards. Perfect for Boston.
53.NY Mets-Chris McMahon||RHP||Miami
-Mets pitching depth took a hit with the Stroman trade. McMahon has the talent, but injuries and inconsistency has him here. Good potential match for the Mets.
54.Milwaukee-Anthony Servideo||SS||Ole Miss
-Servideo is another favorite for me. Brian McCann would hate him. He's cocky and loud, and a new leg kick helped him to back up the cockiness in 2020 for Ole Miss.
55.St Louis-Alejandro Rosario||RHP||Miami Christian, FL
-Rosario reclassified for 2020 because he already turned 18 in January. He's basically clay. His fastball can reach 98, but there isnt much else at the moment.
56.Washington-Kyle Teel||C||Mahwah, NJ
-Teel could be difficult to get out of his commitment to Virginia, but if a team believes in his offense enough, this is a good spot because of his Gold Glove caliber defense.
57.Cleveland-Tanner Witt||3B/RHP||Episcopal, TX
-I think Witt could go here either as a pitcher or position player. I think his athleticism and power potential are worth trying him at 3rd first.
58.Tampa Bay-Alec Burleson||1B/LHP||East Carolina
-This is the type of versatility that the Rays love. Burleson is a better hitter than pitcher. I really like his quick hands. His stock rises with some weight loss.
59.Oakland-Carson Montgomery||RHP||West Orange, FL
-Oakland is about to have an all time bad system. BPA. Montgomery is an athletic kid with a lively fastball, and he doesnt turn 18 until August.
60.Minnesota-Burl Carraway||LHP*||Dallas Baptist
-After going big in the first, Minnesota needs to save a little money here so we go with the top closer in college baseball. A fastball/curve guy. Fastball reaches 98.
61.LA Dodgers-Hudson Haskin||CF||Tulane
-Haskin is sophomore eligible and if he can unlock his power potential, he would have four average to above average tools in center field.

COMPETITIVE BALANCE B
62.Miami-Slade Cecconi||RHP||Miami
-Lets get serious about the rotation here. Cecconi is soph eligible. He has a huge arm, but has not been able to last deep into games. Havent seen a 2020 report.
63.Detroit-Aaron Sabato||1B||North Carolina
-Sabato is a 1B and might be a DH in the not so distant future. He hit 18 HR as a freshman, and already had 7 this year.
64.St Louis-Cole Henry||RHP*||LSU
-Henry is a project that St Louis can handle. He has first round stuff, but he needs work on his delivery. Its better from high school, but its still too violent. Potential reliever.
65.Seattle-Drew Bowser||3B||Harvard Westlake, CA
-Bowser acutally plays SS for his high school, and is currently being projected at 3B, but could grow into 1B. Good power to all fields. Athletic enough currently.
66.Cincinnati-Corey Collins||C||North Gwinnett, GA
-Big(6'3 205) athletic catcher that has huge raw power. He also has the abilty to play a corner outfield position if the catching position is lagging behind the bat.
67.LA Dodgers-Dillon Dingler||C||Ohio State
-Dingler played center for Ohio State as a freshman before moving to catcher. Is a work in progress behind the plate, but he has the tools to be above average there. Was breaking out with the bat in 2020.

COMPENSATION B
68.San Francisco-Tanner Burns||RHP*||Auburn
-Burns is a faller for me because of the injury history, size concerns, and effort in delivery. Has starting stuff. Worth the chance for the Giants.
69.San Francisco-Mario Zabala||CF||International Baseball Academy, PR
-Burns might cost a little more than slot, so they could probably save a little here with the uber athletic but raw Zabala.
70.NY Mets-Cayden Wallace||3B||Greenbrier, AR
-Wallace has a short right handed swing that produces power to all fields. Swing and miss are the biggest concerns.
71.St Louis-Jake Eder||LHP||Vanderbilt
-2020 was supposed to be the breakout year for Eder. Weekend rotation. Didnt quite go as planned. Was sitting low 90s, and command was spotty. Really like his curve.
72.Washington-Kyle Nicolas||RHP||Ball State
-Can hit 100 as a reliever. 2020 was supposed to be his breakout season after a strong Cape. Pitched well in first four starts in 2020.
73.Houston-Nick Griffin||LHP/RF||Monticello, AR
-We have made it to Houston's first pick, and they need help everywhere. I like Griffin as a pitcher and the spin rates on his curve should intrigue the Astros.

THIRD ROUND
74.Detroit-Victor Mederos||RHP||Monsignor Pace, FL
75.Baltimore-Elijah Nunez||CF||Martin, TX
76.Miami-Gage Workman||3B||Arizona State
77.Kansas City-Kevin Abel||RHP||Oregon State
78.Toronto-Joe Boyle||RHP*||Notre Dame
79.Seattle-Hugh Fisher||LHP||Vanderbilt
80.Pittsburgh-Colby Halter||SS||Bishop Kenny, FL
81.San Diego-Caden Grice||LHP/1B||Riverside, SC
82.Colorado-Isaiah Greene||CF||Corona, CA
83.LA Angels-Jeff Criswell||RHP*||Michigan
84.CHI Sox-Enrique Bradfield Jr||CF||American Heritage, FL
85.Cincinnati-Slade Wilks||LF/1B||Columbia Academy, MS
86.San Francisco-Nick Lofton||SS||Baylor
87.Texas-Alika Williams||SS|Arizona State
88.Philadelphia-Jack Leftwich||RHP||Florida
89.CHI Cubs-Cam Brown||RHP||Flower Mound, TX
90.Boston-Logan Allen||LHP*||Florida International
91.Arizona-Cade Horton||RHP/SS||Norman, OK
92.NY Mets-Alerick Soulaire||LF||Tennessee
93.Milwaukee-Ryan Hagenow||RHP||Farragut, TN
94.St Louis-Alex Freeland||SS||Mariner, FL
95.Washington-Luke Little||LHP*||San Jacinto JC
96.Cleveland-Will Sanders||RHP||Woodward Academy, GA
97.Tampa-Hayden Cantrelle||2B||Louisiana Lafayette
98.Atlanta-Justin Lange||RHP||Llano, TX
99.Oakland-Ian Bedell||RHP||Missouri
100.NY Yankees-Mac Horvath||SS/RHP||IMG Academy, FL
101.LA Dodgers-Jake Bohrofen||RF||Westmoore, OK
102.Houston-Zach DeLoach||CF||Texas A&M

FOURTH ROUND
103.Detroit-Devin Fontenot||RHP*||LSU
104.Baltimore-Kevin Parada||C||Loyola, CA
105.Miami-Michael Rothernberg||C||Duke
106.Kansas City-TJ McCants||SS||Pensacola Catholic, FL
107.Toronto-Tyler Keenan||3B||Ole Miss
108.Seattle-Nate Clow||2B/LF||Beamer, WA
109.Pittsburgh-Josh Ekness||RHP||The Woodlands, TX
110.San Diego-Casey Schmidt||3B/RHP*||San Diego State
111.Colorado-Alex Toral||1B||Miami
112.LA Angels-Andre Tarver||LF||Chipola JC
113.CHI Sox-RJ Dabovich||RHP||Arizona State
114.Cincinnati-Seth Lonsway||LHP||Ohio State
115.San Francisco-Michael Kirian||LHP*||Louisville
116.Texas-Carson Tucker||SS||Mountain Pointe, AZ
117.Philadelphia-Markevian Hence||RHP||Watson Chapel, AR
118.CHI Cubs-Jeremy Wu-Yelland||LHP*||Hawaii
119.Boston-Gavin Williams||RHP||East Carolina
120.Arizona-Dylan Campbell||SS/CF||Strake Jesuit, TX
121.NY Mets-Magdiel Cotto||LHP||Nation Ford, SC
122.Milwaukee-Dominic Johnson||CF||Santa Fe, OK
123.St Louis-Colt Keith||SS/RHP||Biloxi, MS
124.Washington-Colby Mayo||RF||Stoneman Douglas, FL
125.Cleveland-Alex Boychuk||C||Mill Creek, GA
126.Tampa Bay-Charez Butcher||RHP||IMG Academy, FL
127.Atlanta-Ryan Bruno||LHP||American Heritage, FL
128.Oakland-AJ Vukovich||1B/3B||East Troy, WI
129.Minnesota-Nolan McClean||3B/RHP||Garner, NC
130.NY Yankees-Andrew Abbott||LHP*||Virginia
131.LA Dodgers-Carter Baumler||RHP||Downing Catholic, IA
132.Houston-Zach McCambley||RHP||Coastal Carolina

ARIZONA
18.Arizona-Jordan Walker||3B/1B||Decatur, GA
33.Arizona-Jordan Westburg||SS||Mississippi State
91.Arizona-Cade Horton||RHP/SS||Norman, OK
120.Arizona-Dylan Campbell||SS/CF||Strake Jesuit, TX

ATLANTA
25.Atlanta-Harold Coll||SS||Georgia Premier Academy
98.Atlanta-Justin Lange||RHP||Llano, TX
127.Atlanta-Ryan Bruno||LHP||American Heritage, FL

BALTIMORE
2.Baltimore-Spencer Torkelson||1B||Arizona State
30.Baltimore-Carmen Mlodzinski||RHP||South Carolina
39.Baltimore-CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
75.Baltimore-Elijah Nunez||CF||Martin, TX
104.Baltimore-Kevin Parada||C||Loyola, CA

BOSTON
17.Boston-Ed Howard||SS||Mount Carmel, IL
52.Boston-Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami
90.Boston-Logan Allen||LHP*||Florida International
119.Boston-Gavin Williams||RHP||East Carolina

CHICAGO CUBS

CHICAGO WHITE SOX
11.CHI Sox-Reid Detmers||LHP||Louisville
47.CHI Sox-Tommy Mace||RHP||Florida
84.CHI Sox-Enrique Bradfield Jr||CF||American Heritage, FL
113.CHI Sox-RJ Dabovich||RHP||Arizona State

CINCINNATI
12.Cincinnati-Robert Hassell||CF||Independence, TN
48.Cincinnati-Bobby Miller||RHP||Louisville
66.Cincinnati-Corey Collins||C||North Gwinnett, GA
85.Cincinnati-Slade Wilks||LF/1B||Columbia Academy, MS
114.Cincinnati-Seth Lonsway||LHP||Ohio State

CLEVELAND
23.Cleveland-Daniel Cabrera||LF||LSU
36.Cleveland-Parker Chavers||CF||Coastal Carolina
57.Cleveland-Tanner Witt||3B/RHP||Episcopal, TX
96.Cleveland-Will Sanders||RHP||Woodward Academy, GA
125.Cleveland-Alex Boychuk||C||Mill Creek, GA

COLORADO
9.Colorado-Garrett Crochet||LHP||Tennessee
35.Colorado-Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX
46.Colorado-Nick Swiney||LHP||North Carolina State
82.Colorado-Isaiah Greene||CF||Corona, CA
111.Colorado-Alex Toral||1B||Miami

DETROIT
1.Detroit-Austin Martin||CF/SS||Vanderbilt
38.Detroit-Dylan Crews||RF||Lake Mary, FL
63.Detroit-Aaron Sabato||1B||North Carolina
74.Detroit-Victor Mederos||RHP||Monsignor Pace, FL
103.Detroit-Devin Fontenot||RHP*||LSU

HOUSTON
73.Houston-Nick Griffin||LHP/RF||Monticello, AR
102.Houston-Zach DeLoach||CF||Texas A&M
132.Houston-Zach McCambley||RHP||Coastal Carolina

KANSAS CITY
4.Kansas City-Pete Crow-Armstrong||CF||Harvard Westlake, CA
32.Kansas City-Alex Santos||RHP||Mount St Michael, NY
41.Kansas City-Blaze Jordan||1B||DeSoto Central, MS
77.Kansas City-Kevin Abel||RHP||Oregon State
106.Kansas City-TJ McCants||SS||Pensacola Catholic, FL

LOS ANGELES ANGELS
10.LA Angels-Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
83.LA Angels-Jeff Criswell||RHP*||Michigan
112.LA Angels-Andre Tarver||LF||Chipola JC

LOS ANGELES DODGERS
29.LA Dodgers-Dax Fulton||LHP||Mustang, OK
61.LA Dodgers-Hudson Haskin||CF||Tulane
67.LA Dodgers-Dillon Dingler||C||Ohio State
101.LA Dodgers-Jake Bohrofen||RF||Westmoore, OK
131.LA Dodgers-Carter Baumler||RHP||Downing Catholic, IA

MIAMI
3.Miami-Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
40.Miami-Yohandy Morales||3B||Braddock, FL
62.Miami-Slade Cecconi||RHP||Miami
76.Miami-Gage Workman||3B||Arizona State
105.Miami-Michael Rothernberg||C||Duke

MILWAUKEE
20.Milwaukee-Max Meyer||RHP||Minnesota
54.Milwaukee-Anthony Servideo||SS||Ole Miss
93.Milwaukee-Ryan Hagenow||RHP||Farragut, TN
122.Milwaukee-Dominic Johnson||CF||Santa Fe, OK

MINNESOTA
27.Minnesota-JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
60.Minnesota-Burl Carraway||LHP*||Dallas Baptist
129.Minnesota-Nolan McClean||3B/RHP||Garner, NC

NEW YORK METS
19.NY Mets-Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
53.NY Mets-Chris McMahon||RHP||Miami
70.NY Mets-Cayden Wallace||3B||Greenbrier, AR
92.NY Mets-Alerick Soulaire||LF||Tennessee
121.NY Mets-Magdiel Cotto||LHP||Nation Ford, SC

NEW YORK YANKEES
28.NY Yankees-Bryce Jarvis||RHP||Duke
100.NY Yankees-Mac Horvath||SS/RHP||IMG Academy, FL
130.NY Yankees-Andrew Abbott||LHP*||Virginia

OAKLAND
26.Oakland-Tyler Soderstrom||C||Turlock, CA
59.Oakland-Carson Montgomery||RHP||West Orange, FL
99.Oakland-Ian Bedell||RHP||Missouri
128.Oakland-AJ Vukovich||1B/3B||East Troy, WI

PHILADELPHIA
15.Philadelphia-Zac Veen||CF||Spruce Creek, FL
88.Philadelphia-Jack Leftwich||RHP||Florida
117.Philadelphia-Markevian Hence||RHP||Watson Chapel, AR

PITTSBURGH
7.Pittsburgh-Austin Hendrick||RF||West Allegheny, PA
31.Pittsburgh-Jared Jones||RHP||La Mirada, CA
44.Pittsburgh-Robby Ashford||CF||Hoover, AL
80.Pittsburgh-Colby Halter||SS||Bishop Kenny, FL
109.Pittsburgh-Josh Ekness||RHP||The Woodlands, TX

SAN DIEGO
8.San Diego-Jared Kelly||RHP||Refugio, TX
34.San Diego-Casey Martin||SS||Arkansas
45.San Diego-Petey Halpin||CF||St Francis, CA
81.San Diego-Caden Grice||LHP/1B||Riverside, SC
110.San Diego-Casey Schmidt||3B/RHP*||San Diego State

SAN FRANCISCO
13.San Francisco-Justin Foscue||2B||Mississippi State
49.San Francisco-Connor Phillips||RHP||McLennan JC
68.San Francisco-Tanner Burns||RHP*||Auburn
69.San Francisco-Mario Zabala||CF||International Baseball Academy, PR
86.San Francisco-Nick Lofton||SS||Baylor

SEATTLE
6.Seattle-Garrett Mitchell||CF||UCLA
43.Seattle-Masyn Winn||RHP/SS||Kingwood, TX
65.Seattle-Drew Bowser||3B||Harvard Westlake, CA
79.Seattle-Hugh Fisher||LHP||Vanderbilt
108.Seattle-Nate Clow||2B/LF||Beamer, WA

ST LOUIS
21.St Louis-Nick Gonzalez||2B||New Mexico State
55.St Louis-Alejandro Rosario||RHP||Miami Christian, FL
64.St Louis-Cole Henry||RHP*||LSU
71.St Louis-Jake Eder||LHP||Vanderbilt
94.St Louis-Alex Freeland||SS||Mariner, FL
123.St Louis-Colt Keith||SS/RHP||Biloxi, MS

TAMPA BAY
24.Tampa Bay-Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
37.Tampa Bay-Austin Wells||C||Arizona
58.Tampa Bay-Alec Burleson||RF/LHP||East Carolina
97.Tampa-Hayden Cantrelle||2B||Louisiana Lafayette
126.Tampa Bay-Charez Butcher||RHP||IMG Academy, FL

TEXAS
14.Texas-Heston Kjerstad||RF/1B||Arkansas
50.Texas-Liam Norris||LHP||Green Hope, NC
87.Texas-Alika Williams||SS|Arizona State
116.Texas-Carson Tucker||SS||Mountain Pointe, AZ

TORONTO
5.Toronto-Asa Lacy||LHP||Texas A&M
42.Toronto-David Calabrese||CF||St Elizabeth, ON
78.Toronto-Joe Boyle||RHP*||Notre Dame
107.Toronto-Tyler Keenan||3B||Ole Miss

WASHINGTON
22.Washington-Nick Bitsko||RHP||Central Bucks East, PA
56.Washington-Kyle Teel||C||Mahwah, NJ
72.Washington-Kyle Nicolas||RHP*||Ball State
95.Washington-Luke Little||LHP*||San Jacinto JC
124.Washington-Colby Mayo||RF||Stoneman Douglas, FL

• Like 3

^Pretty impressive to see someone go 4 rounds into a mock. 

Can't say I'd be too pleased if that's the way the M's draft went. I just can't get excited about Mitchell. Huge potential, but the lack of power is a major red flag that I don't really want to gamble on at 6. Winn is interesting but Bowser seems like a waste; as it seems like he's unlikely to sign. 

If Hancock or Lacy don't slip to 6 I'd honestly prefer the M's to go with Detmers or Meyer and hopefully sign them to an under-slot deal. Then go with a high upside prep in the next round or two. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:13 PM, Eagles27 said:

^Pretty impressive to see someone go 4 rounds into a mock. 

Can't say I'd be too pleased if that's the way the M's draft went. I just can't get excited about Mitchell. Huge potential, but the lack of power is a major red flag that I don't really want to gamble on at 6. Winn is interesting but Bowser seems like a waste; as it seems like he's unlikely to sign. 

If Hancock or Lacy don't slip to 6 I'd honestly prefer the M's to go with Detmers or Meyer and hopefully sign them to an under-slot deal. Then go with a high upside prep in the next round or two. 

I have a feeling you will have your pick of Lacy/Hancock. Martin, Tork, Gonzalez, Veen, and Lacy/Hancock would be my guess at the top 5(in no order) if I had to put money on it. Or if both are gone somehow, I could see Detmers being intriguing.

In the batter's defense on that perfect game, that was a BIG strike zone. He wrung up at least one of those looking K's on a ball that ended in the opposite batter's box by the time the catcher pulled it in.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, devils1854 said:

CHICAGO CUBS

I think you absolutely nailed the Cubs taking a collegiate pitcher at 16 and then a prep player at 51.  This is the MO of the new guy running the draft, Dan Kantrovitz.  Kantrovitz has a fairly long history of doing something similiar with the Cards and the A's.  I don't think Cavalli is very likely, given the wildness you already mentioned though.  I've seen Max Meyer being linked to them, but that could simply be because they took a very similar player last year in Ryan Jensen.  

Regardless, thanks for doing this!

• 1 month later...

Draft is next week.  A few prep guys have already taken their names out (Dylan Crews being the most noteworthy so far), but there have been rumblings that some college guys like Cole Wilcox that are contemplating the same.  Could be an interesting draft board when all is said and done.