BrownLeader 2018 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He is super meh to me, strictly a 2 down plugger, not very athletic, offers nothing in the pass game. Strong, has good punch, doesn't have the same effort in the pass game than in the run game, rotational guy on the next level. At best he could sneak his way into a Kyle Williams type of player but he is more than likely a Jamie Meder type of player, you mention Phillips being a better player, he may be a better player for their scheme on the college level, but its about what they project on the next level.

Top 3?, So you have Payne, Vea, Nnadi, He's not better than Kendrick Norton, Dontavius Russell, Lowell Lotulelei, B.J.Hill, Greg Gilmore, Josh Frazier,Khalil McKenzie, Bryan Mone Nifae Lealao, and a few others I failed to mention but these are 1 - tech/NT prospects. And this is just for the sake of arguement

Phillips is 2nd in TFL's for interior DL (12) this season behind Mo Hurst (12.5)...and he had 9.5 last year. And yes, I think he's better than Nnadi, Norton, Russell, Lotulelei and Hill. The others after that you mentioned I haven't had a good look at yet. He's limited ... but he bulls and frees up inside. Besides that USC game early in the year...I see a guy that can get to the ball in both the run/pass. I think he's a safe interior prospect that'll plug and push inside all day.

some gifs...

Here...discarding the OC at the goal line and catching Gaskin...

...splits the double here on an upfield rush...

...very next play runs with the screen....

..here an upfield rush for the sack...

He plays like this in just about every game. He's got some balance issues and offers little range but I think he should continue to push and shed as a pro.

50 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Phillips is 2nd in TFL's for interior DL (12) this season behind Mo Hurst (12.5)...and he had 9.5 last year. And yes, I think he's better than Nnadi, Norton, Russell, Lotulelei and Hill. The others after that you mentioned I haven't had a good look at yet. He's limited ... but he bulls and frees up inside. Besides that USC game early in the year...I see a guy that can get to the ball in both the run/pass. I think he's a safe interior prospect that'll plug and push inside all day.

some gifs...

Here...discarding the OC at the goal line and catching Gaskin...

...splits the double here on an upfield rush...

...very next play runs with the screen....

..here an upfield rush for the sack...

He plays like this in just about every game. He's got some balance issues and offers little range but I think he should continue to push and shed as a pro.

Well he's got my attention, im going to follow him, maybe he can be a Derek Wolfe/Matt Ioannitis type of guy. And way to support your argument bro!

13 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well he's got my attention, im going to follow him, maybe he can be a Derek Wolfe/Matt Ioannitis type of guy. And way to support your argument bro!

The guy has been playing great the last couple years after coming back from injury in 2015. Gotta love the intangibles of the guy who is a double major, an Academic honoree, has packed on serious weight since high school, and is a team captain. Phillips was also a quality high school wrestler and participated in track & field too. A lot to like on and off the field about him.

14 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well he's got my attention, im going to follow him

So based on your initial response to the question about him, what had you seen that made you so down on him? Because your initial analysis was basically the total opposite of what BL posted.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

So based on your initial response to the question about him, what had you seen that made you so down on him? Because your initial analysis was basically the total opposite of what BL posted.

So you are suggesting everyone should be in sync with the same analysis of a player? 

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

No. I asked what you had seen. 

I just don't see all of the recent success he's having translate to the NFL, I just see a rotational guy or possibly a plugger at 5-tech in a 3-4. I think BL is projecting to be a penetrating 3 tech in a 4-3 creating havoc and I just don't see it, He isn't the athlete.

I think my assessment is fair

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just don't see all of the recent success he's having translate to the NFL, I just see a rotational guy or possibly a plugger at 5-tech in a 3-4. I think BL is projecting to be a penetrating 3 tech in a 4-3 creating havoc and I just don't see it, He isn't the athlete.

I think my assessment is fair

Nah. I agreed he's limited. He's a plugger first and foremost ..but I think he'll push the pocket and clean up on 3rd down occasionally too. I think he's something like a Mike Brockers, Steve McLendon or Jaye Howard.

2 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Nah. I agreed he's limited. He's a plugger first and foremost ..but I think he'll push the pocket and clean up on 3rd down occasionally too. I think he's something like a Mike Brockers, Steve McLendon or Jaye Howard.

Agreed, I want to see his numbers (combine)though.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated rankings!

Baker's now my QB1 ....for the time being. I feel like I've been underrating his mobility. That trait is becoming especially important in the NFL. And conversely, I'm down on Rosen's durability. I've also been mostly writing off the character/leadership concern/rumors on him but there might be something there.

I'm expecting Darnold to return.

Lamar Jackson still has the most upside ....but his passing ability is in the Vince Young range atm. He runs like Vick but he's still a project as a thrower despite improvement. Reminds me also of Kaepernick as a QB prospect. Kap progressed rapidly pre draft with his mechanics/footwork and it really showed senior week. I think Jackson will have to show similar improvement to be in the top 10 or 15 conversation.

Rumors that Stidham will declare. He's got very good tools.  He's also flashed poise and precision in clutch moments. He's a high end project type.

• 2 weeks later...

My top 50 Overall rankings with some words.

1. DB | Minkah Fitzpatrick* | Alabama

Fitzpatrick first stood out to me playing CB in 16' for Bama early in the year. I thought he was the most talented DB on the team at the time. He switched over to safety after injuries and has remained the best DB on the team. I think he could project to both safety or CB. He's a high character team leader with length/size, athleticism, and ball skills. It's a lofty comparison but he reminds me of Charles Woodson.

2. OG | Quenton Nelson | Notre Dame

Nelson sneaks up on you. At first glance, he's just a typical looking interior offensive lineman. Then he makes a play that shocks you. Then he does it again. He's got a ridiculously powerful initial jolt. He can lock in and drive. And shows impressive awareness and lateral mobility. Comparison: David DeCastro

3. OG | Mason Cole | Michigan

Last season Cole was of of the most consistent, physical, play thru the whistle, beat your *** up interior guys in the country. This year, he's slid out to LT and looked nearly flawless. He manhandles guys and shows enough athleticism/awareness to effectively man every position upfront. Comparison Zach Martin

4. RB | Saquon Barkley* | Penn St

There hasn't been a more well rounded RB prospect since HOF'er LaDainian Tomlinson. Barkley's just stronger, more agile, and better balanced, then anyone he comes up against. The guy is a chunk play waiting to happen and does it any way you get him the football.

All that said, while he can floor you by looking like a more powerful Barry Sanders at times ... he'll also frustrate you by getting taken down occasionally one on one in the open by a jag...or get shoe stringed in the hole by a jag. Given his incredible skillset, it's as if his intensity just doesn't always seem fully dialed up. Comparison: shiftier Jonathan Stewart.

5. QB | Baker Mayfield | Oklahoma

Bursting on the scene at Oklahoma, Mayfield looked like your typical, fired up, undersized run/pass college QB. The difference is he kept getting better and more consistent. His best attribute is accuracy. Then it's a combination of his mobility, improvisation, and clutchness. His arm is above average...although I think his deep ball is much better than his velocity. That "it" is that he's highly productive on the field and really likable off of it.

The love/hate thing some have with him is just that he's a chippy guy. I don't think that'll change..and I'm not sure it has to. I think he does remind you some of a Purdue Drew Brees and projects to almost another Russell Wilson. I think he's a stronger armed, edgy Colt McCoy. Not really a knock in that McCoy is a fringe starter/solid backup who could've won as a starter if actual talent was around him when he had his shot.

6. QB | Josh Rosen* | UCLA

Ergonomics phrasing keeps coming back to me whenever I watch Rosen... "if anything's wrong, it's human error, not mechanical." This guy has been practicing to be a pro QB for a long while and it shows. Elite arm talent and good footwork. He's not a runner but he resets his feet really quickly and can move in and out of the pocket efficiently.

He's easily the most talented thrower in this class. But durability is a legit concern. And decision making on throws and footwork is often inconsistent. Comparison: less durable Eli Manning

7. DT | R.J. McIntosh* | Miami

Very large and very quick is the best description here. While he's consistently shown Sunday interior pass rush and run stopping ability, R.J. is still probably just scratching the surface. He's often much too quick for interior OL but also uses his long arms and strength to stack and shed the run. Comparison: Trevor Pryce

8. RB | Derrius Guice* | LSU

It's an uncommonly good year for RBs. Guice actually outshined Fournette last year and has shown enough through nagging injuries this year, to justify a high selection. Durability might be his sole weakness. He's a legit breakaway back but also runs bigger than his size. His attacking style reminds of the "fire" from the NYG's three headed monster.

Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw

9. DE | Bradley Chubb | N.C. State

Similar to Jonathan Allen last year, Chubb's dominance is predicated on his strong hands. He disengages with quick hands and power, then possesses the closing speed to finish. He's a solid enough athlete to chase and change direction but his game isn't as much about suddenness as power and technique.

Comparison: Oliver Vernon

10. LB | Derwin James** | Florida St

James is a freak athlete with a great motor. Those will always be bankable traits. I think he's best suited at linebacker then at safety and he ideally fits the money LB position Deone Buchannon has assumed in Arizona. He's a throwback big hitter and strong blitzer but, like Buchannon in college, has some embarrassing whiffs tackling in open space.

Comparison: Deone Buchannon

11. DE | Harold Landry | Boston College

12. LB | Josey Jewell | Iowa

13. DE | Jerry Tillery* | Notre Dame

14. LB | Skai Moore | South Carolina

15. DT | Harrison Phillips | Stanford

16. DT | Maurice Hurst | Michigan

17. DE Clelin Ferrell** | Clemson

18. CB Denzel Ward* | Ohio St

19. OC Brian Price | Ohio St

20. CB Josh Jackson* | Iowa

21. RB Kerryon Johnson* | Auburn

22. DT Vita Vea* | Washington

23. OT Orlando Brown* | Oklahoma

24. RB Bryce Love* | Stanford

25. QB Lamar Jackson* | Louisville

26. OG Will Hernandez | UTEP

27. LB Roquan Smith* | Georgia

28. DE Arden Key* | LSU

29. CB Nick Nelson* | Wisconsin

30. OG Brady Smith | Auburn

31. LB Hercules Mata'afa | Washington St

32. OC Frank Ragnow | Arkansas

33. DE Zach Allen* | Boston College

34. RB Ronald Jones* | USC

35. CB Jaire Alexander* | Louisville

36. WR Calvin Ridley* | Alabama

37. DE Christian Wilkins | Clemson

38. DE Marcus Davenport | UTSA

39. RB Damien Harris* | Alabama

40. WR Courtland Sutton* | SMU

41. WR Anthony Miller | Memphis

42. OG Connor Williams* | Texas

43. OG Isaiah Wynn | Georgia

44. LB Josh Allen* | Kentucky

45. RB Akrum Wadley | Iowa

46. RB Rashaad Penny | San Diego St

47. TE Mark Andrews | Oklahoma

48. OT Kolton Miller* | UCLA

49. RB Mark Walton* | Miami

50. WR D.J. Chark | LSU

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 3:56 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Jeeeeeez, I don't see that at all in Cole. He was solid last year at center, but not special, and he was fine at LT this year, but generally struggles with athletic pass rushers. Think he's much more of a Day 2 talent on the interior

Not a physically overpowering guy but I think his quickness is special. He gets out to the second level in a blink. Good feet, technique, bows up when needed and he's mean when he gets a hold of guys.

Archived