BrownLeader 2018 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

• 3 weeks later...

*Updated rankings.

And diving in closer I realize I've been too low on some guys...

RB John Kelly

Elite balance . Explosive changing direction and has great vision. Runs violent and elusive. Biggest knock might be off the field character. Can't find it now but just after he declared I thought I saw something about a domestic incident on him. And he's been suspended previously for weed. On the field reminds me of Kareem Hunt.

WR Micheal Gallup

After seeing Rashard Higgins struggle out of the same program I was down on Gallup. Still conservative on him but I'm liking his size/quickness a lot more now.

LB Rashaan Evans

I was really skeptical of the Reuben Foster, C.J. Mosley comps but I've come to recognize Evans physical/mental traits. He's not as good as those two but he looks like a blue chip LB prospect.

LB Mike McCray

I had McCray high up there before the season but lowered him too much during the season. I love his instincts and he's more versatile and athletic than he looks.

DT Andrew Brown

Athletic ability stood out but he wasn't terribly productive this past year. Then he really stood out senior week. Went back and looked and it seems like he played too many positions, including 2 pt stances and rarely had a plan at any of them. He's a much better athlete than I had given him credit for and playing 3T senior week let him show off his first step quickness from a 3pt stance.

DT James Looney

Stood out to me at the Shrine and I went back and checked him out. Really good initial quickness and overall athletic ability.

TE Durham Smythe

He's got more receiving ability than he showed generally at ND. All around solid TE that I'd take inside the top 100.

And probably too high on....

Marcus Allen

I like his overall athletic ability and awareness but he's a leaky tackler and struggles man to man.

Maurice Hurst

Love his get off but he's not great laterally to go along with his less than ideal size and length.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

What do you see in Lorenzo carter to put him 12th on your DE/OLB list?

He's linear/high cut, gets tied up on blocks and his instincts are weak. He reminds me of a weaker Bruce Irvin or a stronger Bark Mingo. Haven't dived into Kylie Fitts, Dorance Armstrong or David Bellamy so I might move Carter up eventually but I don't know I'll put him over Okoronkwo or Sweat. I'm sure he'll show out in the 40  this week in Indianapolis though. But I'll be paying attention to his agility drills.

7 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

He's linear/high cut, gets tied up on blocks and his instincts are weak. He reminds me of a weaker Bruce Irvin or a stronger Bark Mingo. Haven't dived into Kylie Fitts, Dorance Armstrong or David Bellamy so I might move Carter up eventually but I don't know I'll put him over Okoronkwo or Sweat. I'm sure he'll show out in the 40  this week in Indianapolis though. But I'll be paying attention to his agility drills.

I disagree that his intincts are weak. I think that's too strong to be accurate. I think he knows when to disengage and when to rush when the offense breaks down. At least compared to Okoronkwo, Carter can hold up against run blocks and seal the edge. His hands and long arms combined with his bull rush is pretty impressive in my opinion. In my mock draft I have him being selected by the Cowboys 50th overall.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I disagree that his intincts are weak. I think that's too strong to be accurate. I think he knows when to disengage and when to rush when the offense breaks down. At least compared to Okoronkwo, Carter can hold up against run blocks and seal the edge. His hands and long arms combined with his bull rush is pretty impressive in my opinion. In my mock draft I have him being selected by the Cowboys 50th overall.

I think weak instincts whenever a guy's numbers don't match his tools but a lot depends on how he was used. Seemed like he played in space a lot this season compared to 16' when he was on the los. Not sure rushing the passer should be his primary thing...he's a better blitzer than pass rusher. I think he's more suited for a Anthony Barr type role if he's good enough in space. Otherwise he'll have to get a lot better at disengaging. I could see him going anywhere from 2nd to 4th round.

53 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think weak instincts whenever a guy's numbers don't match his tools but a lot depends on how he was used. Seemed like he played in space a lot this season compared to 16' when he was on the los. Not sure rushing the passer should be his primary thing...he's a better blitzer than pass rusher. I think he's more suited for a Anthony Barr type role if he's good enough in space. Otherwise he'll have to get a lot better at disengaging. I could see him going anywhere from 2nd to 4th round.

I'm with you on all you said. He was used in space a lot as a true stand-up outside linebacker. Blitzing is a stronger part of his skillset, but he wasn't rushing the passer like a traditional defensive end for most of last season. Anthony Barr is an interesting comparison to make.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 12:16 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Why is Barkley rated under Guice in your RB rankings but higher on your overall board??

I think Guice is a better pure runner but Barkley's better in the pass game, blocking & receiving, better team guy...locker room, community. As a package he looks like a better investment for a team, but Guice, pound for pound, is better on the field imo...there's just some unknown about the baggage he's bringing with him.

Archived