Tu'a Tagovailoa injury: Helicoptered to hospital with hip injury

naptownskinsfan

Big storyline here.  Tu'a was carted off the field with a hip injury and was in a lot of pain, and was helicoptered to a hospital.  According to one of the writers, it's a three hour ambulance ride, and this is the hospital where James Andrews does a lot of his surgeries so that explains the helicopter.  

If this is an injury that won't affect his draft stock, I would be done with the program tomorrow. 

Tagovailoa was unable to put any weight on the right side of his body after injuring his right hip. He was reportedly "screaming in pain" when being removed from the cart in the locker room area, according to ESPN sideline reporter Molly McGrath. Trainers also treated Tagovailoa for a bloody nose suffered when his facemask hit the turf head-on.

"It's a hip injury and probably something that could be pretty serious," coach Nick Saban said after the game. During a halftime interview, Saban noted that Tagovailoa was injured on what was supposed to be his last series of the game. "We were going to do 2-minute before the half with him, just for practice," Saban said. 

Read More: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tua-tagovailoa-injury-alabama-qb-carted-off-with-hip-issue-bloody-nose-vs-mississippi-state/

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Fractured him. Sucks for him and Bama.

And it happened on a series where Saban wanted to "practice" a two minute drive.  He's going to get plenty of questions for letting Tu'a play, but I also understand why he was still in.  

The good thing is that medical advances have been made since Bo Jackson's career ended.  I hope that it doesn't affect him long term, but it does seem to be a pretty serious injury.  

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

That sucks. At this point you just hope for full recovery and that his career isn’t jeopardized. 

That, and then there is the question of healing time and prognosis that could actually have him think his best option is to return for his senior year as a way to prove he is healthy.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That, and then there is the question of healing time and prognosis that could actually have him think his best option is to return for his senior year as a way to prove he is healthy.

I had thought of that. My guess is that if the prognosis shows he is going to make a full recovery, it would still probably make more sense for him to go to the draft. I would think that somebody would love to have them somewhere in the top 15 regardless of what they think his rookie season will look like if they forecast a full recovery within a season. It’s an interesting scenario though. I do think this could bump him below a couple quarterbacks though, something I was skeptical of before today outside of possibly Burrow. 

Edited by NateDawg

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I had thought of that. My guess is that if the prognosis shows he is going to make a full recovery, it would still probably make more sense for him to go to the draft. I would think that somebody would love to have them somewhere in the top 15 regardless of what they think his rookie season will look like if they forecast a full recovery within a season. It’s an interesting scenario though. I do think this could bump him below a couple quarterbacks though, something I was skeptical of before today outside of possibly Burrow. 

He's still going to be a first round pick, so he's essentially going to have to weight the risk of a couple million dollars by leaving now and not returning.  With all of the rumors saying it was close to the Bo Jackson injury this is best case scenario 

55 minutes ago, mse326 said:

No way. Go to the draft. Fall and maybe get drafted by a team that can sit him for a year. Go sit and work with a nfl medical staff. Start the time on your contract so you can get to that 2nd contract big money 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

No way. Go to the draft. Fall and maybe get drafted by a team that can sit him for a year. Go sit and work with a nfl medical staff. Start the time on your contract so you can get to that 2nd contract big money 

The question is how far the "fall" would be. If for instance teams think the recovery rate to his former self is only about 60% or something he can easily fall rounds. There is a point that if he thinks he can return healthy he is better off going back to Bama and proving next year to be healthy and get drafted in the first in 2021. I'm not saying that will happen, I certainly don't think it is likely. But it is definitely possible given the uniqueness of the injury.

58 minutes ago, mse326 said:

The question is how far the "fall" would be. If for instance teams think the recovery rate to his former self is only about 60% or something he can easily fall rounds. There is a point that if he thinks he can return healthy he is better off going back to Bama and proving next year to be healthy and get drafted in the first in 2021. I'm not saying that will happen, I certainly don't think it is likely. But it is definitely possible given the uniqueness of the injury.

How long does this injury take to recover? If there's any chance he gets cleared by the combine I think he's out guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

This is a terrible idea. Declare for the draft, take a redshirt year, and get paid to rehab the injury. QBs are too valuable. Unless this is a career-ending injury, somebody will take him in the first round.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is a terrible idea. Declare for the draft, take a redshirt year, and get paid to rehab the injury. QBs are too valuable. Unless this is a career-ending injury, somebody will take him in the first round.

Do you know the percent chance that he returns to his best? I don't. And if it is something that carries a lot of risk then he could fall rounds. That is all I said. I never said he should go back if he is going to go in the first. Quite the opposite

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Do you know the percent chance that he returns to his best? I don't. And if it is something that carries a lot of risk then he could fall rounds. That is all I said. I never said he should go back if he is going to go in the first. Quite the opposite

Teams are taking risk players more than ever before.  The Redskins took both Jonathan Allen and Montez Sweat in the middle part of the first round because they had injury concerns that were thought to be long-term.  Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack also come to mind.  Yes, none of them are QBs, but Allen was a potential #1 overall pick who fell to #17.  Myles Jack was considered a top 10 talent and was taken early in the second round.  

It's up to Tu'a to determine if the drop from #1 overall to somewhere else in the draft (probably capping at the beginning of the second round) is worth going back to college over.