If tua comes out for the draft

Kiwibrown

Which round would Tua be taken  

62 members have voted

1. 1. which round will Tua go

tua was projected to go number 1 overall in next years draft. He plays the coveted position of QB at a high level and has won a national championship I believe. 

Lets say...

* Tua declares for the draft

* Favorable medical reports ie 1 year recovery schedule to return to play

where will he go?

Edited by Kiwibrown

A top 10 talent still. His processing/decision making, accuracy and leadership are still healthy despite a bum hip. 

I still see the Dolphins being prime candidates to take him, admittedly probably not with their first 1st anymore but still. Dolphins still can use Fitz and Rosen as test dummies while they continue to add talent around the QB position. Use these picks they’ve acquired, build up the overall talent of the team, let them gain experience and bring in Tua after his redshirt year. Might even be able to get some FAs next offseason too with the promise of some young talent and Tua taking over.

Edited by Fureys49ers

I replied to this a bit in the 2020 QB topic, but Tua might not have the physical skillset to overcome this, Like, this is a major injury.  And he never really showed the ability to run because he didnt need to, but now he literally can't and shouldn't because of this current injury because he should protect his hip. In terms of playing QB, long term, you have to think he's going to take a sack and fall down before he gets hit rather than become handicapped. Which affects if you think he's going to be a franchise QB. You have to evaluate if he's ever over this severe injury. Even if he comes back to the NFL, that thought may always be on his mind. Im not an NFL scout, but I just truly feel thats human nature.  You have an injury like that,, you have to truly worry about it long term if it concerns yourself.  Cant just assume NFL players can overcome it, there are a lot people in the world that may not be able to overcome a big injury like that.

• Like 1

Obviously it's probably in his best interest to stay another year at Bama.  Take as much time as he needs to recover, then show what he can do late next season.  

If he shows that he can overcome it, some team in the teens will take him, possibly the Dolphins with a later first round pick, as @Fureys49ers pointed out above.  If he decides to come out, a playoff team looking for a QBOTF might gamble a pick on him, then sit him out (Patriots, Saints, etc).  I'd say Pittsburgh, but they don't have a first rounder.

If he does declare, his floor is probably the top of the second round.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Obviously it's probably in his best interest to stay another year at Bama.  Take as much time as he needs to recover, then show what he can do late next season.  

If he shows that he can overcome it, some team in the teens will take him, possibly the Dolphins with a later first round pick, as @Fureys49ers pointed out above.  If he decides to come out, a playoff team looking for a QBOTF might gamble a pick on him, then sit him out (Patriots, Saints, etc).  I'd say Pittsburgh, but they don't have a first rounder.

If he does declare, his floor is probably the top of the second round.

He has already shown every he can another year doesn't change anything.

This is all a case of will he recover fully or not, if he will then a team will still take him in the first round.

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Will he even be able to come back from this?  I just heard that he is out for the season at Alabama now, and heard somewhere else that the injury he has is the same one that ended Bo Jackson's career.  :(

It ended his career because he had late diagnosis. 

Didnt preist holmes have  same injury and comeback? Or was it someone else? 

If you were going to be any postion to refover from this it is qb.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Is it though?  We're talking about another significant injury, and you're talking about a potential Day 2 pick.  Maybe even Day 3 pick depending on how worrisome teams are about his hip.  Even if he comes out today, he's probably still a top-10 pick.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Is it though?  We're talking about another significant injury, and you're talking about a potential Day 2 pick.  Maybe even Day 3 pick depending on how worrisome teams are about his hip.  Even if he comes out today, he's probably still a top-10 pick.

Not after Belichick gets Saban to spread all kinds of bad news about Tua's recovery and then he uses his war chest of 2020 draft picks to move from 32 up to 22 and snags him there

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Will he even be able to come back from this?  I just heard that he is out for the season at Alabama now, and heard somewhere else that the injury he has is the same one that ended Bo Jackson's career.  :(

Really not even close to Bo Jackson's demise, which was post-injury complications, not the injury itself.  Jackson didn't actually break his hip either.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

How would he be a higher pick now coming off of the injury as opposed to taking time to heal, going through rehab, and building back up next year?  he doesn't have to even play much, if at all.  But if he enters the draft this year, teams might be reluctant to draft a guy that high.  If he waits a year and proves he is healthy, he jumps right back into the fray for top 5.

I get what your saying if he can prove he is 100% or close to it by April, but I don't see that happening.

Firstly, while I have no idea where he goes (but I'll take a guess lol), Tua's got zero choice here - he HAS to declare.  There isn't an "IF", it's a "WHEN". 

There is no way he should return to 'Bama.   Pretty clear Saban only wanted him on the field, and the 2 tightrope procedures are NOT the standard of care for grade 2 HAS's - they only get players on to the field sooner.   It gets you on the field sooner - but if you let it heal without the procedure, players are back in 4-6 weeks and are fine long-term.    The fact 'Bama did the tightrope on him 2x for an injury that doesn't require anything but 4-6 weeks left should be telling Tua & co. everything they need to know. 

Declare, get out to the NFL - where at least you get paid for the risk.  I do hope he had a nice insurance policy, because that's the only way he'll recover the lost money from a top 3 pick to wherever he falls (I'm guessing mid-late 1st - because a team that can afford to let him heal, and get him right, and can afford the risk of a later 1st busting....will do it).

There's no questioning his talent, but even before this injury, the one legit flag was his risk of injury.   "He could get hurt" is a terrible argument for any random player - but Tua's history actually raised this as a legit flag as to why he might not go 1.1 even before this week(over a less toolsy Burrow), so now the flag is going to be gigantic after this unfortunate injury.   It's an injury that doesn't have to come with a career-ending death sentence, but the risk is going to be there, and it won't be quantifiable by April IMO.   That's going to cause a drop.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2