Can we name every team's best player ever?

Hunter2_1

I've done one's I think everyone will say. Others - help me out. EDIT: now mostly populated with others' suggestions. 

(teams in their current location/format)

Arizona Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald 

Atlanta Falcons -  Deion Sanders

Baltimore Ravens - Ray Lewis

Buffalo Bills - Bruce Smith

Carolina Panthers - Steve Smith Sr.

Chicago Bears - **** Butkus

Cincinnati Bengals - Anthony Muñoz

Cleveland Browns - Jim Brown

Dallas Cowboys -  Roger Staubauch

Denver Broncos - John Elway

Detroit Lions - Barry Sanders

Green Bay Packers - Brett Favre

Houston Texans - JJ Watt

Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning

Jacksonville Jaguars - Uhhhhh Maurice Jones-Drew????

Kansas City Chiefs - Tony Gonzalez

Los Angeles Chargers - Lance Alworth

Los Angeles Rams - Deacon Jones

Miami Dolphins - Dan Marino

Minnesota Vikings - Alan Page

New England Patriots - Tom Brady

New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees

New York Giants - Lawrence Taylor

New York Jets - Darrelle Revis

Oakland Raiders - Charles Woodson (Willie Brown?)

Philadelphia Eagles - Reggie White

Pittsburgh Steelers - Joe Greene

San Francisco 49ers - Jerry Rice

Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson (if not him then Walter Jones, if not him then Steve Largent)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - John Lynch? Derrick Brooks?

Tennessee Titans - Eddie George

Washington Redskins - Darrell Green

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald

Falcons - might be Julio Jones. I hold a soft spot for William Andrews, if only he hadn't blown out his knee

Bills - Bruce Smith? And while he was only above average for 5 yrs, what a 5 yrs OJ Simpson had

Cowboys - Staubach. In the conversation for best QB ever

Broncos - Elway

Packers - Don Hutson. It's impossible to overstate his importance to NFL history

Texans - JJ Watt, though DeShaun Watson is #2 and gaining

Vikings - Fran Tarkenton or Alan Page

Seattle - either Largent or Russell Wilson

Tennessee - if we're counting the Houston days, Earl Campbell.

Washington - Sammy Baugh

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald

Falcons - might be Julio Jones. I hold a soft spot for William Andrews, if only he hadn't blown out his knee

Bills - Bruce Smith? And while he was only above average for 5 yrs, what a 5 yrs OJ Simpson had

Cowboys - Staubach. In the conversation for best QB ever

Broncos - Elway

Packers - Don Hutson. It's impossible to overstate his importance to NFL history

Texans - JJ Watt, though DeShaun Watson is #2 and gaining

Vikings - Fran Tarkenton or Alan Page

Seattle - either Largent or Russell Wilson

Tennessee - if we're counting the Houston days, Earl Campbell.

Washington - Sammy Baugh

You are right about Hutson.  He absolutely dominated the game in his era and he still has a handful of NFL records all these decades later.  It would be fun to be able to go into a time machine and watch some of these players back then in their prime.

• Like 1

For the Ravens I’m pretty easily going with Ray over Ed. He had more accolades, won the extra DPOY, and was the absolute leader of the team during his time. Which is no slight to Ed.

Ogden I would also have very close as a 2b as well. He was an absolute force, an athletic bear at 6’9” that could lockdown your top pass rusher and was one of the best run blockers I’ve ever seen.

Then you’d have Terrell Suggs, Justin Tucker, and Marshal Yanda to round out the top 5. But if Lamar continues along this trajectory... it’ll be fun to see where he ends up.

But yeah for such a young franchise we’ve had some really good ones. I mean a guy like Ngata has to be an HM at best.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Packers have too many to name just one! Sorry, just the facts here! 

But if part of the criteria is impact on the NFL how does Curly Lambeau not get into the discussion. He started as a player/coach. 

Lambeau is underappreciated as a coach - he was the first to really feature the passing game (Johnny "Blood" McNally is regarded as the first notable pass-catcher in NFL history), has 200+ wins and won 6 f'in titles. But I think he wasn't all that much as a player. 

And it's impossible to overstate how dominant a WR Hutson was. He was putting up more rec  yds and tds than half the TEAMS in the NFL; he was doubling and tripling up what the 2nd best pass catchers were doing. Imagine if Jerry Rice was playing in the 80s and 90s, and there were no Risons, Sharpes, Ellards, etc, just a bunch of guys putting up 40-600-4 seasons. 

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

For the Ravens I’m pretty easily going with Ray over Ed. He had more accolades, won the extra DPOY, and was the absolute leader of the team during his time. Which is no slight to Ed.

Ogden I would also have very close as a 2b as well. He was an absolute force, an athletic bear at 6’9” that could lockdown your top pass rusher and was one of the best run blockers I’ve ever seen.

I love the Ogden pick. I feel bad because I was light on OL in my post - I mean, for Oilers/Titans, Matthews and Munchak are clearly in the top 10 if not 5 of that franchise, and the Raiders had Upshaw and Otto, Vikes had Ron Yary, etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Jets - Revis? Maybe it's me, but I think it says something about the perpetual state of the franchise that I'm having a tough time thinking of a long-term NYJ player that was great. Namath is overrated IMO, so maybe Don Maynard? 

How about Mark Gastineau?  I don't know how long he played for the Jets, but I do recall him being a very good pass rusher.

For the Ravens, I disagree on Ray Lewis.  He was great, but nobody can surpass "Playoff-Flacco".   :D