Worst Drafts All-Time

KOTN-93

Was just watching a 2009 draft review 10 years later video on YT and seeing Top 10 was wild and hideous

1. Matthew Stafford

2. Jason Smith

3. Tye Jackson.

4. Aaron Curry

5. Mark Sanchez

6. Andre Smith

7. Derrius Heyward-Bey

8. Eugene Monroe

9. B.J. Raji

10. Michael Crabtree.

This has to be one of the worst Top 10s ever. What are some other rrally bad draft years. Which is the worst? 

Edited by KOTN-93

Saints 2014 class was abysmal. By the start of the next draft only Cooks remained on their roster.

Brandin Cooks, WR. 2014 Draft: First Round, 20th Overall: a fine WR who landed us a 1st round pick after a few years of cheap work for us.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB. 2014 Draft: Second Round, 58th Overall: Played 8 snaps his rookie season after being publicly shamed by Payton after his laughable final preseason performance, was cut the following offseason.

Khairi Fortt, LB. 2014 Draft: Fourth Round, 126th Overall: Got cut for showing up late repeatedly 

Vinnie Sunseri, S. 2014 Draft: Fifth Round, 167th Overall: Was a good ST player but never had the athleticism to be anything more than that. Very injury prone, lasted one season as a ST ace.

Ronald Powell, OLB. 2014 Draft: Fifth Round, 169th Overall: Athletic standup rusher who had very little in the way of pass rushing moves, dime a dozen type player. Made it about 10 games I think?

Tavon Rooks, OT: was no good at all.

Edited by Dome

3 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Was just watching a 2009 draft review 10 years later video on YT and seeing Top 10 was wild and hideous

1. Matthew Stafford

2. Jason Smith

3. Tye Jackson.

4. Aaron Curry

5. Mark Sanchez

6. Andre Smith

7. Derrius Heyward-Bey

8. Eugene Monroe

9. B.J. Raji

10. Michael Crabtree.

This has to be one of the worst Top 10s ever. What are some other rrally bad draft years. Which is the worst? 

The Curry hype was ridiculous. Great straight line athlete but absurd expectations. Tyson Jackson was over-drafted and everyone was aware the moment it occurred. Jason Smith had proven nothing as far as being pro ready, same for DHB.

Raji and Andre Smith looked like potential All-Pro’s but they had serious question marks with their mental makeup.

That leaves Stafford, Crabtree, Sanchez, and Monroe. I thought Stafford and Crabtree were good but not great prospects and Ididn’t exactly expect either to play as long as they have. Monroe I thought would be a Pro Bowler for several seasons and Sanchez I was wrong about completely. Granted, when the Jets took Sanchez I thought he wouldn’t develop but as a prospect I thought he would blossom in the right environment.

Stafford is better than I gave him credit for on here at the time. Raji and Smith disappointed everyone especially after showing they could be good players in the NFL. Sanchez I just felt bad for but he ultimately never developed so he is a disappointment as well.

2015 Bills comes to mind right away if we are talking team drafts.

Cb Ronald Darby - traded and is injury prone

OG John Miller - awful

RB Karlos Williams - burst onto the scene. Out of the league shortly after for off-field issues.

LB Tony Steward - who?

TE Nick O'Leary - only famous for wearing no gloves and his Grandpa

WR Dez Lewis - another nobody.

3 out of the league, one free agent. All off the team in 4 years or less. 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

2015 Bills comes to mind right away if we are talking team drafts.

Cb Ronald Darby - traded and is injury prone

OG John Miller - awful

RB Karlos Williams - burst onto the scene. Out of the league shortly after for off-field issues.

LB Tony Steward - who?

TE Nick O'Leary - only famous for wearing no gloves and his Grandpa

WR Dez Lewis - another nobody.

3 out of the league, one free agent. All off the team in 4 years or less. 

I thought Darby was decent when healthy?

2015 Pats

red = not with us and/or crap

Round 1: DT Malcom Brown, Texas
Round 2: SS Jordan Richards, Stanford
Round 3: DE Geneo Grissom, Oklahoma
Round 4: DE Trey Flowers, Arkansas
Round 4: OG Tre' Jackson, Florida State

Round 4: OG Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech
Round 5: LS Joe Cardona, Navy
Round 6: LB Matthew Wells, Miss. St
Round 6: TE A.J. Derby, Arkansas
Round 7: CB Darryl Roberts, Marshall
Round 7: LB Xzavier Dickson, Alabama

42 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The Curry hype was ridiculous. Great straight line athlete but absurd expectations. Tyson Jackson was over-drafted and everyone was aware the moment it occurred. Jason Smith had proven nothing as far as being pro ready, same for DHB.

Raji and Andre Smith looked like potential All-Pro’s but they had serious question marks with their mental makeup.

That leaves Stafford, Crabtree, Sanchez, and Monroe. I thought Stafford and Crabtree were good but not great prospects and Ididn’t exactly expect either to play as long as they have. Monroe I thought would be a Pro Bowler for several seasons and Sanchez I was wrong about completely. Granted, when the Jets took Sanchez I thought he wouldn’t develop but as a prospect I thought he would blossom in the right environment.

Stafford is better than I gave him credit for on here at the time. Raji and Smith disappointed everyone especially after showing they could be good players in the NFL. Sanchez I just felt bad for but he ultimately never developed so he is a disappointment as well.

What ended up happening with Raji?  I was always under the impression that he was really a good player.  He showed up big in that Super Bowl.  What caused the Pack go get rid of him?

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What ended up happening with Raji?  I was always under the impression that he was really a good player.  He showed up big in that Super Bowl.  What caused the Pack go get rid of him?

Yeah just maturity issues I think is what it boiled down to for Andre Smith and Raji. Work ethic, commitment, maturity for them were really subpar.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Yeah just maturity issues I think is what it boiled down to for Andre Smith and Raji. Work ethic, commitment, maturity for them were really subpar.

That's a shame.  There are so many guys who do have the desire and the work ethic who would love to make it in the league but just don't have that kind of talent.

33 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

2015 Pats

red = not with us and/or crap

Round 1: DT Malcom Brown, Texas
Round 2: SS Jordan Richards, Stanford
Round 3: DE Geneo Grissom, Oklahoma
Round 4: DE Trey Flowers, Arkansas
Round 4: OG Tre' Jackson, Florida State

Round 4: OG Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech
Round 5: LS Joe Cardona, Navy
Round 6: LB Matthew Wells, Miss. St
Round 6: TE A.J. Derby, Arkansas
Round 7: CB Darryl Roberts, Marshall
Round 7: LB Xzavier Dickson, Alabama

Flower, Brown, Roberts, and Derby caught on elsewhere. Flowers is really good. Richards is trash but he still is employed for ST. Grissom caught on for a little while elsewhere as well, as did Tre Jackson. Getting a good long snapper and at least starting caliber guard in Shaq Mason combined with the other players makes this no where near the worst draft.

Bad? Yes. Belichick has had a lot of poor evaluations of prospect value and ability over the years. There are definitely worse talent and asset evaluators however.