Week 11 - Bears @ Rams

stl4life07

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

It was one of Goff's better games this year even though the stats don't reflect it. However, the pick to Smith was BAD. The dropped pick by Fuller was a huge break for us and there were a few errant passes he just missed when having a clean pocket. A deep crossing route to Reynolds sticks out where he missed him completely. 

Keep the offense simple. Keep running the ball. Keep Goff under 30 pass attempts per game and play good defense. 

I feel like you can say that about every QB. Like the game where the Pats beat the Browns, on the first drive Brady nearly threw an interception to Ward but Ward dropped it. Even in what everyone said was a perfect game for Wilson TNF against the Rams, he nearly costed his team the game with a bad option toss on a 3rd down when the team was trying to run out the clock. Rams got the ball back marched down the field and Zeurlein missed the game-winning field. Even in the game against the Niners, Wilson threw a pick in OT and the Niners marched down the field and the kicker missed a game-winning field. So like every QB you can say in every game they have missed throws, bad decisions, etc... The difference is if they can make plays to put their team in position to win. Goff has done that every game except for the Steelers and Niners game. Even the game against the Bucs where Goff had a brutal game, he still had his team down by 5pts in the 4th quarter with the ball. So he dug the Rams from deep hole to give them a chance even though they didnt win. 

I think that in this game against the Bears I was more impressed (not surprised because I expected it) that the Bears front didnt dominate like they did last season. No way McVay was going to let that happen twice. Thats why I feel confident the next time we play the Niners. No way McVay is going to allow the Niners front to dominate again. Not saying they would still make some impact but its not going to be to the extent what they did in the first game. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I feel like you can say that about every QB. Like the game where the Pats beat the Browns, on the first drive Brady nearly threw an interception to Ward but Ward dropped it. Even in what everyone said was a perfect game for Wilson TNF against the Rams, he nearly costed his team the game with a bad option toss on a 3rd down when the team was trying to run out the clock. Rams got the ball back marched down the field and Zeurlein missed the game-winning field. Even in the game against the Niners, Wilson threw a pick in OT and the Niners marched down the field and the kicker missed a game-winning field. So like every QB you can say in every game they have missed throws, bad decisions, etc... The difference is if they can make plays to put their team in position to win. Goff has done that every game except for the Steelers and Niners game. Even the game against the Bucs where Goff had a brutal game, he still had his team down by 5pts in the 4th quarter with the ball. So he dug the Rams from deep hole to give them a chance even though they didnt win. 

I think that in this game against the Bears I was more impressed (not surprised because I expected it) that the Bears front didnt dominate like they did last season. No way McVay was going to let that happen twice. Thats why I feel confident the next time we play the Niners. No way McVay is going to allow the Niners front to dominate again. Not saying they would still make some impact but its not going to be to the extent what they did in the first game. 

Goff has also had atleast 4+ picks just flat out dropped by the defender. He's had issues with turnovers all season that have crippled us in key losses. We can't hone in one or two great throws he makes to pull himself out of the hole he dug lol I think this year in his career is an outlier and not indicative of how the rest of his career will play out, but this has been a complete regression for Goff in 2019 and if our defense wasn't as dominate as it has been we would be 4-6 and he would really be in deep doo doo. 

I actually think his blank El Manning-esque stares are a good thing because he has a short memory for the negative he does.

27 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Goff has also had atleast 4+ picks just flat out dropped by the defender. He's had issues with turnovers all season that have crippled us in key losses. We can't hone in one or two great throws he makes to pull himself out of the hole he dug lol I think this year in his career is an outlier and not indicative of how the rest of his career will play out, but this has been a complete regression for Goff in 2019 and if our defense wasn't as dominate as it has been we would be 4-6 and he would really be in deep doo doo. 

I actually think his blank El Manning-esque stares are a good thing because he has a short memory for the negative he does.

I agree. I will also say there is a reason why PFF keep track of "possible turnover" plays. Did you know in Wentz MVP campaign in 2017 before he got hurt he led the league amongst QBs in terms of possible turnovers? That means fumbles that the defense didnt recover or interceptions that were dropped by defenders. This season Mahomes was graded before he got hurt as the top QB in terms of possible turnovers. So yes this season is just not great for Goff but Im just saying you can look across the league and see how many QBs have gotten away with multiple "shouldve been" interceptions or "shouldve been" fumbles in games. The best thing about Goff is what you mentioned about him having a short memory. Plus you say if it wasnt for the defense the Rams would be 4-6. If Zeurlein just makes the FG against the Seahawks, the Rams are (7-3) sitting 2nd place in the NFC West and owning one of those two WC spots above Seattle. The league in general comes down to a handful of plays. Last season at this point the Rams were (4-0) in games decided by 7pts or less. This season the Rams are (2-2). I think thats the biggest difference. We can talk about injuries this season but the Rams dealt with big injuries last season. We can talk about struggling offense this season but the Rams dealt with a struggling defense last season. The biggest difference is the Rams arent winning the close games like they did last season. 

Man that was so great watching Gurley last night. You could see in his eyes after his fumble how mad he was and for some reason i had a good feeling he was gonna dominate after that. Lol great game after what the bears did to us last time. 

Give gurley the ball lets get back to rams football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Watching the Bears last night was like watching a worst version of the Rams. 

This game was a nightmare. the only thing positive to say was watching Gurley running. 

If that game was a nightmare, I hate to see what a loss is to you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

This down year is good for him. He needs this kind of adversity because he skyrocketed with McVay. 

It gives McVay, the coaches, and himself to see what he can improve on in the offseason. 

But one thing I do appreciate about him is overcoming his bad plays. He doesn’t just fold. Thats something you can’t teach.