Lions vs Cowboys Takeaways

Just Want A Title

The Lions were over-matched going into the game.  I think the Dallas O-Line simply wore the defense down.  It really showed on the 4th quarter.  Still, they showed real moxie by staying in this game until the end.  That said: 

1.       Our pass rush is still not great.  Mike Daniels, John Atkins and Trey Flowers were solid.  Romeo Okwara is invisible.  I have no idea if it can be fixed at this point.

2.      Our secondary is playing really well.  If we had any kind of pass rush they would be lights out.

3.      Darius Slay had a tough assignment being matched up against Amari Cooper and played better than he has in a few weeks.  He really had a great game.  You can see his frustration.

4.      John Atkins is starting to play really well.  If lost weight and was a little quicker he would be a beast.  He is definitely earning more playing time.

5.      We need more speed at LB but I don’t see that getting fixed during the season.

6.      Will Harris look like a solid draft pick by Bob Quin.

7.      Even If Paul Pasqualoni makes it through the season I don’t see how he is our Defensive Coordinator going forward.

8.      I was very critical of Darrell Bevell early in the year but putting up 27 points without Matthew Stafford and Kerryon Johnson against a good Cowboys defense awesome.  He called a great game. 

9.      Jeff Driskell is playing better than anyone ever expected.  As previously stated, he is definitely a good #2QB.  He moves really well and is really tough to tackle in the open field.  He might be a solid starter with more reps.  This was a very astute pick-up by Bob Quin.           

10.   Bob Quin has made some really astounding under-the-radar signings:  Jeff Driskell, JD McKissick,  and Marvin Hall Jr have been making consistent contributions.  Now Bo Scarborough.  He has done pretty well with free agent signings even considering Jesse James.

11.   I think the Lions need to make Tyrell Crosby a starter.  He is simply better than Rick Wagner at this point.  Demarcus Lawrence is a beast but Tyrell Crosby did a pretty good job with him until our last series. 

12.   I am still waiting for Marvin Hall to become a bigger part of the offense.  I would love to see him run some post routes or skinny post routes.

13.   The Lions running would be better if they ran some counters.  That may be old-school but it fits their RB talent.

14.   Overall, the Lions have a lot of work to do on their O-Line and pass rush in the off season.

Thoughts?

I don't understand why Austin Bryant isn't suiting up and playing.  Our run defense is solid enough but we desperately need some pressure off the edge.  Devon Kenard is a situational rusher.  Jarrad Davis is a good blitzer also but we need to generate more pressure from our D-Line.  We need to do something different and at 3-6-1 we don't have much to lose.

A big question that I have is - why did we wait so long to bring Scarborough into the mix? Paul Perkins has been a Lion and not been a Lion like 4 times this season. Scarborough was sitting there on PS and then comes out and is the most effective runner we've had all season (that's right ALL SEASON) except for Kerryon's 125 yard game vs the Chiefs. His 3.9 ypc is the best that any other RB has had on 10+ carries this season other than KJ's game vs the Chiefs. 

They need to keep McKissick involved and ride this hot hand with Scarborough.