Fix our Defense thread

resilient part 2

So so disappointing. It turns out our defense is by far our biggest problem this year. We have spoken about it made threads on it talked about positions coaches Etc okay but I want to dedicate one threat to how can we fix this defense who do we need to draft what do our coaches play just to vanilla what is going on if we had a halfway reasonable defense we will be NFL contenders good

Please give your thoughts to this go ahead thank you

1. Tackling is bad. Fixing this would cure a lot of ailments. LVE/Smith have taken a step backwards. 

2. Need a SS that is actually good. 

3. Interior DL isn't horrible, but a run stuffer would be nice.

I feel like this defense is much like the defenses I've watched at Iowa for every game over the last 20 years. Bend, don't break and very basic. They thrive on out executing opponent. It's great when it works, but it can frustrate the hell out of a person too.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

The biggest problems are that we don’t have a true run stuffing DT or a reliable Safety, and it’s really obvious. Get those (especially the DT), and you’ll see an immediate improvement in LB play.

This + coaching.  Give BB the current personnel we have on defense and I’d bet we’d be top 5ish.  

20 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

If we want current fix for this year, it starts with coaching.

Signing Bennie Logan and Eric Berry would go a long way. Releasing V.Bryant and J.Jones from active roster 

I feel like there's something going on behind the scenes with Berry. Surely if he was healthy some team would have signed him by now. 

I have zero answers on this I just observe that we get zero production from our LB around the LOS which we saw a ton of last year.  Smith seems to be constantly either dropping way back or blitzing either way he isn’t filling the gaps or responding well to runs up the gut or the short middle passing game.   LVE is missing a ton of tackles around LOS and seems to get bottled up in the wash a lot.   And yes we also get very poor safety support around LOS

a big body in the middle would help as that would stop the OL from getting to the second level and help fill the gaps

58 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Get rid of Rod.

Play a scheme that is from this decade.

Blitz.

I dont feel like any of this can be supported by facts. 

1. Richard calls the defense, not Rod. Rod coaches the DL; which has done really well for us all things considered. 

2. I have no clue WTH this even means. We run the same defense as the Seahawks, Falcons, Jags. All teams that have made it to conference championship or superbowls with this same defense.

3. We are bottom 5 in terms of blitz %. We are top 8 in pressure % though. So we are affecting the QB without blitzing. Which in turn, is why we allow very few big deep passes. 

Our biggest issue is we cant tackle worth a damn. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont feel like any of this can be supported by facts. 

1. Richard calls the defense, not Rod. Rod coaches the DL; which has done really well for us all things considered. 

2. I have no clue WTH this even means. We run the same defense as the Seahawks, Falcons, Jags. All teams that have made it to conference championship or superbowls with this same defense.

3. We are bottom 5 in terms of blitz %. We are top 8 in pressure % though. So we are affecting the QB without blitzing. Which in turn, is why we allow very few big deep passes. 

Our biggest issue is we cant tackle worth a damn. 

so if it's not scheme related, and tackling instead, then our players suck? especially our LBs??

3 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

so if it's not scheme related, and tackling instead, then our players suck? especially our LBs??

The players have shown the ability. I honestly dont know what it is. I saw an interview with LVE - he blamed it on trying to do too much. Which kinda makes sense because they seem to be in terrible position pretty often. Maybe Ben Bloom just sucks compared to Eberflous and isnt correcting them?

It probably also has to do with there are almost no padded practices any more. I think just 1 a week; so tackling around the league sucks as well. But we suck extra hard. I dont know the solution.