Fix our Defense thread

resilient part 2

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont feel like any of this can be supported by facts. 

1. Richard calls the defense, not Rod. Rod coaches the DL; which has done really well for us all things considered. 

2. I have no clue WTH this even means. We run the same defense as the Seahawks, Falcons, Jags. All teams that have made it to conference championship or superbowls with this same defense.

3. We are bottom 5 in terms of blitz %. We are top 8 in pressure % though. So we are affecting the QB without blitzing. Which in turn, is why we allow very few big deep passes. 

Our biggest issue is we cant tackle worth a damn. 

Richard calls the game. Yes. But isnt it Rods scheme and KR just calls plays?

Rod doesnt believe in a 1T.

You referenced Seattle plays the same defense during the Superbowl run.

Did they not had Red Bryant and Brandon Membane to plug the gaps and stop the run?

Our issue is tackling but we also play soft and give up yards.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Richard calls the game. Yes. But isnt it Rods scheme and KR just calls plays?

Rod coached Tampa 2 for a long time, which we havent run in years. The scheme is normally based the back 7, which is all Richard. Its zone, primarily cover 3. We play nickle as much as base. 

Rods "scheme" with the front 4 is that he plays 1 gap (good for QB pressure, not for run defense) with a lot of DL games (twist/stunts). 

Rod doesnt believe in a 1T.

Thats true. TBF though, how many NT/1T's are there in the NFL that are actually good at their jobs? But I agree, not having one on the roster is dumb. At least have one for obvious run situations. 

You referenced Seattle plays the same defense during the Superbowl run.

Did they not had Red Bryant and Brandon Membane to plug the gaps and stop the run?

Sure. But inside runs havent really been a huge issue. Cook destroyed us in the screen game.

Our issue is tackling but we also play soft and give up yards.

Thats just the nature of a zone defense. Give up yards not points. I truly believe if our tackling wasnt so horrid though we would be a top tier defense. 

1) I agree that this Cowboy defense is vanilla and very predictable and they don't adjust in games just like the offense it starts with the crappy coaching staff and mediocre players that are currently on this roster. Were not coached by Belicheck and getting something out of nothing.

2) Cowboy's could of fixed this defense very easily this year (A) trade for Minka Fitzpatrick (B) trade for Marcus Peters (C) trade for Jamal Adams all 3 players are stud splash plays if you revisit to see what the Cowboys would of gave up was a 1st rounder for a definite game changer, a middle round pick for another big playmaker that you don't have at any other cornerback position  and Zak Martin for probably the best safety in the NFL hell Martin has been so banged up the last 2 years he hasn't played up to his contract due to these injuries and the Cowboys have so much money tied up into this offensive line that is a shell of what it was before all this big money was shelled out. So it's time that the Cowboy's realize that they need to give other must needed positions of need some money. Seriously if you look at these 3 players the Cowboys could of made plays for who would you want in your secondary and if you look at free agency next year Jones, Brown, Heath are free agents and Woods and Awuzie the following year. These players going into free agency are not game changers so why would you want to resign them.

3) No push in the middle of this defensive line, the offensive blockers are all over our linebackers causing big run plays. This defensive line need big strong double blockers or guys that play with a high motor to (A) take pressure of the ends (B) to push back the pocket so the linebackers can help make plays. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

There are only ~5 actually good safeties in the entire NFL. 

But, about 4 times that better than what Dallas has.  Which is all I really want. I'd love Adams, but ok with simply upgrading over Heath and Thompson. Hopefully Josh Jones can grow into that, but I haven't got much hope on that front.

Edited by WizardHawk

It will be really sad when a stagnant patriots offense will thrive against our bend but don’t stop bending defense.  After watching the patriots against the eagles and Ravens, the Patriots are beatable.  While their defense is playing very well as a cohesive unit, the offense lacks playmaking WRs, TEs and relies so much on dink and dunk that it’s become very one dimensional.  Their OL ain’t what it used to be.  We should be able to get good pressure on Brady... but I just know that Dallas’ defense will be happy to let the patriots move down the field playing small ball.  The sad part is that the Pats will be very well prepared to exploit every weakness in our defense and unfortunately I have no confidence that we will be able to do the same.

• Like 2

I agree with you the Cowboys really haven't been signing huge freeagent deals since Brandon Carr burned them and they have been bringing in mediocre replacements. Which don't really make splash plays . If you look ahead to the Cowboys free agents next year Cooper & Prescott are the only 2 definite resigns after that maybe a Robert Quinn to a 2 or 3 year contract the rest are basically special team players on other rosters in the league other then Bennett but with Bennett you have to take his age into consideration. Byron Jones isn't a playmaker, I would rather sign a Marcus Peters or a Mckenzie Alexander. So instead of the Cowboys sign cheap fill ins on the roster sign or draft some beast that make key plays and create take aways.

I guess I am about the only poster that feels loosing Brown is. Huge loss for our D we’ve struggled with LB play and safety play making plays around the LoS   Our CB play has been better then average and we just lost a huge part of what made that better then average.   We saw with Thompson that yes Heath sucks but there is a reason he starts for his team.  Teams love to say next man up.  But in reality there is a reason next man up isn’t starting  and the coverage area that Brown normally is responsible for us the same area that we struggle enough at is that area 5-10 yards beyond line of scrimmage and that’s the area that NE has been killing it in

Edited by quiller