Blessuan Austin

Abe56

6 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Not trying to discredit Blessuan a very good game, but in what world is Jamal Adams rated lower when he had 3 sacks and a PBU? PFF Esssssplain.

I'm thinking they meant highest cornerback grade on their defense. Find it hard to believe Adams had anything lower than a mid 80s grade

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He wasn’t a healthy scratch and he’s been solid outside of last game. We can’t have faith in Austin in minimal snaps but not have some sort of faith in Hairston who’s been our best outside Corner by far

Yes he was - Full participate all week and wasn't even listed on the final injury report. 

The reality is we all liked and overrated (Myself included) Harriston because he had a few good games and we were all desperately looking for someone to step up. He was very bad against Miami and awful vs. the Giants which led to his subsequent benching. Maybe he gets another shot, we'll see, but I don't think he's in our long term plans. 

I've been impressed with Austin but I certainly haven't penciled the guy in as a starter without seeing how he finishes the season.  

20 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Yes he was - Full participate all week and wasn't even listed on the final injury report. 

The reality is we all liked and overrated (Myself included) Harriston because he had a few good games and we were all desperately looking for someone to step up. He was very bad against Miami and awful vs. the Giants which led to his subsequent benching. Maybe he gets another shot, we'll see, but I don't think he's in our long term plans. 

I've been impressed with Austin but I certainly haven't penciled the guy in as a starter without seeing how he finishes the season.  

He had a knee injury. They showed it on the broadcast along with every other major injury. Hairston had a couple bad showings but was good for the most part. that’s the growing pains of a young player. Either way some unit on this team will have to not be upgraded. Let the Corners play and learn and go into next year ready. Can still bring in competition if the opportunity presents itself. 

50 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm thinking they meant highest cornerback grade on their defense. Find it hard to believe Adams had anything lower than a mid 80s grade

Nah it was for the whole D

Jamal was graded a 64

Edited by Abe56

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

He had a knee injury. They showed it on the broadcast along with every other major injury. Hairston had a couple bad showings but was good for the most part. that’s the growing pains of a young player. Either way some unit on this team will have to not be upgraded. Let the Corners play and learn and go into next year ready. Can still bring in competition if the opportunity presents itself. 

I'm not sure what you're referencing but according to CBS his benching Sunday was a "Coach's decision". Seeing as he practiced all week and didn't appear on the final injury report, in all likelihood, he was benched for Maurice Canady.    

I'm all for letting these guys play, but at this point, Arthur Maulet // Bless Austin seem to be the "next guys up". 

I find it highly unlikely that some combination of Maulet/Austin/Canady/Harriston prove to be capable/adequate starters for us going forward. My hope is that Austin solidifies himself over the next six games and we resign Poole + add competition to fill the last starting spot. You do realize we have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL? Not sure why we'd feel good rolling out the same group next season, doesn't mean we have be big spenders at CB, but reinforcements seem obvious.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I try to like PFF, and they put out stuff like this lol. 

What idiot watched that tape and came away thinking Jamaal played like a "back up"? 

Yeah not sure why Jamal was graded so mediocre, besides the sacks thought he had a good all around game

7 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Yeah not sure why Jamal was graded so mediocre, besides the sacks thought he had a good all around game

Three sacks alone should be enough to earn any player a grade higher than "Back up" which I believe is anywhere from 60-69.

Lmao at Jamals grade. You can keep PFF. Been souring on them for some time now. I am by no means a cheap person what so ever. If I want a service or anything i don’t care I pay for it. PFF can suck it for what they want people to pay to give out the most inconsistent “grades”. 

10 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Lmao at Jamals grade. You can keep PFF. Been souring on them for some time now. I am by no means a cheap person what so ever. If I want a service or anything i don’t care I pay for it. PFF can suck it for what they want people to pay to give out the most inconsistent “grades”. 

The thing is they have Adams as their 3rd highest graded Safety with an 88.7 , almost 6 Pt’s higher than number 4. So it’s not like they have graded him poorly throughout the season. I  didn’t watch the game but maybe he had a few missed tackles or made mistakes in coverage. It’s also possible that their formula for Safety doesn’t rate pass rush as it does for coverage and run defense. 

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

The thing is they have Adams as their 3rd highest graded Safety with an 88.7 , almost 6 Pt’s higher than number 4. So it’s not like they have graded him poorly throughout the season. I  didn’t watch the game but maybe he had a few missed tackles or made mistakes in coverage. It’s also possible that their formula for Safety doesn’t rate pass rush as it does for coverage and run defense. 

It’s just inconsistent. Aaron Donald has 6 sacks but getting same grades he got when he had like 22 in a year? Not buying it. Show me the math. I don’t trust any stat that I can’t see the formula. Plus they charge you for it. Scam. 

• Like 1

What's really incredible is that if our CBs played average football, I think we would be sitting at 4-6, maybe 5-5 (JAX, MIA were winnable games where we simply could not cover). It's not to say that we don't have any other issues, but more so credit to the defensive coaches and players as this unit is a very good one which many of us may have overlooked. They're developing the young talent far better than the last regime did (the progress made by Fatukasi, Shepherd, Phillips, Bashum, Jenkins, Burgess, Austin, Maulet, Poole, Adams, Maye have made in 10 games vs. what they have shown in the past is astonishing). 

Hopefully Austin continues to stay healthy, because we could be looking at another really good unit next year and the following (assuming the staff remains intact). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NJC33 said:

17 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

NJC33 is correct.  Hairston was health scratched.   However, it didn't tell a whole story because he is still young and learning as well as dealing with minor injury that may affect his movement in coach's eyes.  Even bad practice that could lead him to be benched at last minute. 

We should not get comfortable with Austin being penciled in as a starter right now because Jets are bringing him into a full game slowly. Health issue remains questionable forever.  Jets still need to bring in more talented CB.

On 2019-11-19 at 8:52 AM, jetskid007 said:

What's really incredible is that if our CBs played average football, I think we would be sitting at 4-6, maybe 5-5 (JAX, MIA were winnable games where we simply could not cover). It's not to say that we don't have any other issues, but more so credit to the defensive coaches and players as this unit is a very good one which many of us may have overlooked. They're developing the young talent far better than the last regime did (the progress made by Fatukasi, Shepherd, Phillips, Bashum, Jenkins, Burgess, Austin, Maulet, Poole, Adams, Maye have made in 10 games vs. what they have shown in the past is astonishing). 

Hopefully Austin continues to stay healthy, because we could be looking at another really good unit next year and the following (assuming the staff remains intact). 

Finally someone talking about player development.  I can’t like this comment enough.  

Drafting talent is a hard thing to do, but it doesn’t end there. Developing that talent to be contributors is what makes the great teams.  The Jets haven’t had that ability since maybe  Mangini.