What would you think of someone creating this stat?

patriotsheatyan

ESPN invented their QBR a few years back.

What would you think of a major organization like ESPN creating a new QB rating, which includes sacks and QB rush attempts as completed attempts, yards gained and lost on sacks as a part of their passing yardage total, rushing touchdowns as passing touchdowns, and lost fumbles as interceptions. 

It’s not like I'm saying it should replace passer rating, but it sounds more useful as a supplement than QBR.

They supposedly do include all of those things in their formula.  No one knows exactly how it's calculated, which is a large part of the problem.  They also add weight to certain plays, like clutch plays, and subtract weight for meaningless plays.  That's all well and good, but I don't see how they objectively determine how much weight to add or subtract.  

Passer rating, ANY/A, eye test, TD/INT, comp%, all do the job well enough.  Just take a combination of many stats and the eye test and go on about your business.  No need for one stat to try to do everything.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, Jlowe22 said:

They supposedly do include all of those things in their formula.  No one knows exactly how it's calculated, which is a large part of the problem.  They also add weight to certain plays, like clutch plays, and subtract weight for meaningless plays.  That's all well and good, but I don't see how they objectively determine how much weight to add or subtract.  

Passer rating, ANY/A, eye test, TD/INT, comp%, all do the job well enough.  Just take a combination of many stats and the eye test and go on about your business.  No need for one stat to try to do everything.

It seemed like the question has relevance though. With the addition of more running QBs coming into the league, perhaps another substitute to QBR would be wise... especially since it isn’t known how it’s calculate.

We know how passer rating is calculated and it makes it seemingly less inherently biased. Whereas until we know the formula for QBR it’s seemingly less reliable than the other go to stats.

So I agree with you and what you stated, except I disagree that I would be against someone coming up with this kind of stat.

PFF, basically.

They've built the above into their grading system for QBs, along with stuff like 'turnover worthy throws', 'big time throws', 'accurate throws [on a scale system, based on the WR when he catches said balls]'.

Unfortunately for them, most of us think it's a massive, weighty, grotesque, stinking load of complete an utter cow crap. But hey ho, they do it....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

It seemed like the question has relevance though. With the addition of more running QBs coming into the league, perhaps another substitute to QBR would be wise... especially since it isn’t known how it’s calculate.

We know how passer rating is calculated and it makes it seemingly less inherently biased. Whereas until we know the formula for QBR it’s seemingly less reliable than the other go to stats.

So I agree with you and what you stated, except I disagree that I would be against someone coming up with this kind of stat.

Not necessarily against it.  If someone comes up with something that actually works, then great.  I just doubt they’ll wind up with something all that great.  By all means, someone can try it though.