Cyprien to miss multiple weeks

titans0021

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Right back to Byard and Searcy. God we needed to add a FS this offseason.

The FO never does the obvious thing with players. They'll keep Byard at FS and most likely won't add anyone. When they do it'll be another SS.

I would like to see more of Cyprien before I go on thinking this is a good thing. I would rather have Cyprien out there flaws and all than Searcy. Outside of a couple of plays where he is beat by Lynch on a tackle and Cooper out ran him across the field I didn't think Cyprien was bad.

Casey got trucked run over by Lynch even. The whole defense had issues tackling so I am going to ease up criticizing Cyprien until it keeps being an issue. Cyprien in his career has been a strong tackler.

14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I know Cyprien didnt look good yesterday. But Id be careful in rejoicing or wanting to see someone like Reed.  Its not an automatic thing the guy behind him will be better.

I'm honestly not sure how we could do any worse at safety than Cyprien played Sunday without resigning Lamont Thompson. We spent the entire game hiding him in coverage (except for the 3rd and 6 play where he was inexplicably asked to cover Amari Cooper and naturally allowed a first down). Literally his only job was to play in the box and come up and make tackles, which apparently is worth over $6 million per year. It's a job Jayon Brown can do. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091007/2017/REG1/Raiders@Titans?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017091007#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000841513&tab=videos

I don't even know how you go entirely unblocked on a fourth-down run, make contact with a running back three yards behind the line of scrimmage and don't even slow him down. I'm not even asking him to bring down Marshawn one-on-one, just to slow him down long enough to let the rest of the defense get to the ball. That kind of opportunity was pretty much the only reason he was signed. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091007/2017/REG1/Raiders@Titans?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017091007#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000841492&tab=videos

Doesn't even slow Crabtree down when he had the chance to force a 3rd and 2/3 and instead a four-yard pass turns into a 25-yard gain. The ability to make that tackle is the only reason he's in the league. Sadly, NFL.com's highlight selection is lacking because there were at least two other instances where he had the opportunity to limit a play to a 5-yard gain and failed to set up a big play.

I know you said that he didn't look good KT, but that's massively understating just how useless he was. He was terrible. Far worse than even I could have imagined. I can't recall a game in which Stafford (who we could have resigned for the vet minimum) was ever close to the total net-negative Cyprien was. 

The most frustrating aspect is that he was just a worse version of the player that Jags fans have described him as over his entire career. I doubt he's that notably horrible all year, but even at his best, his value is just terribly limited to being nothing more than a competent nickel linebacker. In today's NFL, I struggle to even call him a safety.

I admittedly haven't listened to a ton of the A to Z stuff, but this wasn't a great first impression lol. First guy making 100 tackles into a far bigger deal than it should be, second guy praising Searcy and the 3-headed safety monster of Byard, Cyprien and Searcy. Not a lot I agree with.

21 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I know Cyprien didnt look good yesterday. But Id be careful in rejoicing or wanting to see someone like Reed.  Its not an automatic thing the guy behind him will be better.

I remember being happy when Lamont Thompson finally replaced Shulters a few years back (it hasn't been that long, has it?).  

I've learned since then...

Still have to wonder if Cyprien was hurt going into the game.  Again, I wasn't the biggest supporter of this move... but I also know that Cyprien is known across the league as one of the surer tacklers at any position.  He wasn't a liability in the pass game, and was actually in good position a few times to make the tackle and just missed.  Very strange for him, but the injury makes sense.  Regardless... it leaves us thinner in the secondary for the next few weeks.  We're an injury away from Trawick or Riley getting significant snaps.  

I would like to see more of Cyprien before I go on thinking this is a good thing. I would rather have Cyprien out there flaws and all than Searcy. Outside of a couple of plays where he is beat by Lynch on a tackle and Cooper out ran him across the field I didn't think Cyprien was bad.

Casey got trucked run over by Lynch even. The whole defense had issues tackling so I am going to ease up criticizing Cyprien until it keeps being an issue. Cyprien in his career has been a strong tackler.

THIS....  I know he failed a lot but it was his first game sometimes your too "hyped" to FINISH the play, for the most part he was where he needed to be just failed to execute, AND HE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE BY FAR.

He has the rep of tackling so going forward he most likely will convert those tackles, and blaming him for not covering Cooper is silly that is a TEAM/ coach FAIL There isn't a strong safety in the league that could cover Cooper one on one.

I guess my main point is there are far worst players in the league than Cyp. He had a bad game. 

But if he does make those tackles (That historically he has made) then we are singing his praises. He was right there to make the stop on that 4th and short on the goal line. It's shoulda woulda coulda, but I was for one was excited to see what impact he would have made on the defense.  

Hope we retool. I'm not thrilled about Searcy being back there. 

17 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I guess my main point is there are far worst players in the league than Cyp. He had a bad game. 

I hope so. Not actually convinced it's true though. Though, to be fair, from the moment he signed I've never been convinced that he's actually any better than Daimion Stafford.

Archived