Cyprien to miss multiple weeks

titans0021

Though this reputation as a strong tackler, is it based solely on his PFF grade last year? Because I can't pretend that I've watched enough Jaguars games to act like I can formulate an opinion of him, but everything I've ever seen from the Jags fans seemed to indicate that he would go for the big hit with semi-regularity and it frequently led to missed tackles. Though that may have been something that improved last season (or at least PFF would lead me to believe that). I know that I never watched a Titans/Jaguars game and thought to myself that Cyprien stood out as some superb tackler or that he was all over the field

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Though this reputation as a strong tackler, is it based solely on his PFF grade last year? Because I can't pretend that I've watched enough Jaguars games to act like I can formulate an opinion of him, but everything I've ever seen from the Jags fans seemed to indicate that he would go for the big hit with semi-regularity and it frequently led to missed tackles. Though that may have been something that improved last season (or at least PFF would lead me to believe that). I know that I never watched a Titans/Jaguars game and thought to myself that Cyprien stood out as some superb tackler or that he was all over the field

I swear that there were Jags fans on an other forum making threads claiming for Cyprien to be the next Kam Chancellor way back in 2014/15.

Given how he played, I'm not too concerned he's out. I don't trust Searcy much either, but at least that may allow Byard to play more next to the line, where I always thought he's in a better spot to make plays. We'll see how it goes against a pretty good running team.

14 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I hope so. Not actually convinced it's true though. Though, to be fair, from the moment he signed I've never been convinced that he's actually any better than Daimion Stafford.

Understandable. I mean he wasn't a target of mine. But I'm trusting that Robinson saw enough of him and figured he had a role for the team.  I guess we will have to wait to see what it is...

We probably are going to be looking in the draft for a safety. I don't think Searcy will be brought back at his price tag.  (maybe)

Where is Damion Stafford now? I don't feel like using the 4 seconds to google it. lol

14 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Cyp showed some solid things in the run game at times, but he was NOT a sure tackler and made plenty of bonehead mistakes while being poor in coverage (as you guys have seen). No idea how PFF came up with their grade on him.

55 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Understandable. I mean he wasn't a target of mine. But I'm trusting that Robinson saw enough of him and figured he had a role for the team.  I guess we will have to wait to see what it is...

We probably are going to be looking in the draft for a safety. I don't think Searcy will be brought back at his price tag.  (maybe)

Where is Damion Stafford now? I don't feel like using the 4 seconds to google it. lol

I'd love to be wrong. Even just having a guy that can come up and make tackles on a tight end or back that limits a checkdown to four or five yards has value. Just don't know if he has it. I'm mostly bothered by the fact that if we really wanted a SS to force Byard into a FS role, the Jags signed a better football player for $5 million less in Barry Church.

Stafford's in Pittsburgh. I honestly didn't even know if he was in the league or not until I was typing up that post yesterday and decided to google it.

I wasn't crazy about the signing, either, but I'm not going to write Cyp off yet.

That said, his game on Sunday was one of the worst I've seen from a football player in quite some time. I wasn't joking when I said he was LaMont Thompson-esque. Imagine the kind of momentum swing it would have been if he made that 4th down tackle on Lynch.

Just now, titans0021 said:

I'm legitimately in favor of using a Searcy/Jayon Brown combination to take almost all of Cyprien's reps.

Searcy didn't really do much today, but also didn't make any mistakes(did have the run where he was destroyed by Fournette, but Fournette is gonna do that to a lot of people). If Searcy continues to be decent can't imagine he'll be benched.

13 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Searcy didn't really do much today, but also didn't make any mistakes(did have the run where he was destroyed by Fournette, but Fournette is gonna do that to a lot of people). If Searcy continues to be decent can't imagine he'll be benched.

Hard to get exposed really against the Jaguars offense. When they were able to stick to their running game, tackling was still an issue (especially Fournette destroying Searcy at the line). Cyprien had a much worse performance against a much better offense, though. While I agree he wasn't a good signing to begin with, I agree he should keep his job. We'll likely get back to the same type of rotation we used last year anyway, now that Riley is getting into the mix as well.

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Hard to get exposed really against the Jaguars offense. When they were able to stick to their running game, tackling was still an issue (especially Fournette destroying Searcy at the line). Cyprien had a much worse performance against a much better offense, though. While I agree he wasn't a good signing to begin with, I agree he should keep his job. We'll likely get back to the same type of rotation we used last year anyway, now that Riley is getting into the mix as well.

I still think the signing made better sense if he was going to play that hybrid LBer position... but Woodyard has been good so far these past 2 games, and Brown seems to have that coverage role handled as well.  If Searcy is playing better than him, he needs to start.  If Riley is also playing well, it helps... it frees up Byard to play closer to the box, with Riley more in that FS role.

Cyprien will be out again this week I believe... and eventhough the Seahawks offense has been struggling, they are a dangerous offense that could blow up at any time.  Containing Wilson and covering Graham will be two of the keys to the game... hopefully that trio of Woodyard, Brown, and Searcy are up for the task cuz it'll be harder than yesterday.  

24 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I still think the signing made better sense if he was going to play that hybrid LBer position... but Woodyard has been good so far these past 2 games, and Brown seems to have that coverage role handled as well.  If Searcy is playing better than him, he needs to start.  If Riley is also playing well, it helps... it frees up Byard to play closer to the box, with Riley more in that FS role.

Cyprien will be out again this week I believe... and eventhough the Seahawks offense has been struggling, they are a dangerous offense that could blow up at any time.  Containing Wilson and covering Graham will be two of the keys to the game... hopefully that trio of Woodyard, Brown, and Searcy are up for the task cuz it'll be harder than yesterday.  

I definitely agree with everything. But for Cyprien to be good in that hybrid role, you'd still expect him from time to time to handle receivers across the formation (be it WRs, TEs or RBs) as he's supposed to have superior speed to that of a LB. Cooper exposed him terribly in week 1, IIRC, in that type of play. I agree about the way Woodyard has been playing. I don't think he was ever as good for us as he's been through those first two games. Brown is more and more impressive, and I always believed Byard fits better closer to the LOS as well. I think once we limit the amount of times the opposing RB is running over our second level guys or the number of tacklers bouncing off people, we'll be fine. DL doesn't seem to be a problem. Casey had a quiet game 1 and hasn't necessarily made the stat sheet against the Jaguars, even though his presence was definitely felt, but I'd still say that overall the play of the line has been good so far. Just need to make sure we tackle better.

Also, in recent years if my memory serves me correctly the Seahawks always have been vulnerable the first half of the year and then light it up to close the season, which is why I was glad we got to play them early. What worries me is that we're not exactly up to speed ourselves, and might miss on this opportunity.

Searcy's pick was right place right time and lucky it got tipped right to him. It was Lee who tipped it like that. Searcy had to make that play and did.

Not sure why people give up on some players here so quick. Cyprien had one game in a Titans uniform and didn't play great against possibly the best or most balanced offense in the NFL. Yet people are calling for his head.

People need to calm down. I think Cyprien in the hammer role will excel and people just have some patience. You cannot write someone off after one game. If you think Searcy is a better SS clearly the FO does not agree as they signed Cyprien to a healthy contract and asked Searcy to take a reduction. Also I like Searcy personally but would much rather have both Cyprien and Searcy than just Searcy.

Give Cyprien a chance.

Archived