Second favorite teams?

cconocool

Being born and raised in Florida I have a very heavy Florida lean on any non-Vikings games. I also enjoy watching the Falcons as they are geographically close to me and have a supremely underrated QB (Matt Ryan is an all-time talent, I will die on that hill).

It is also impossible not to root for Patrick Mahomes. Dude is such an insane talent.

Dallas Cowboys.

JUST KIDDING!!!  JUST KIDDING!  Just kidding.  Simmer down...

Seriously, for some reason the Chiefs.  A mid-west team in the AFC.  Always liked the uniforms.  And I made some a few dollars betting on them in the office pool in 1984.  So I'm weird.

And the Rams.  Specifically the Los Angeles Rams.  Specifically the Tom Jarrett led Los Angeles Rams.  For sure not the St. Louis Cardinal/Ram impostors.

17 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

As much as I hate the Bears and Packers, once the Vikings are eliminated I root for the remaining NFC North teams. I want our division to win it all even if it isn’t us.

I'm sorry, this just makes no sense to me. With how much NOT having a SB win is held over our head by these fan-bases I can't cheer for them to add to their trophy case.

• Like 2

My 2nd and 3rd favorite favorite teams would be the Colts and the Dolphins. Both are family influenced. I began watching football at around age 5 or 6. I remember sitting next to my father on the couch as he was wrist deep in a can of Pringles. I only recall the chips he’d like eat because he ALWAYS had Pringles. He turns to me and says, “Who do you like?” I said, “What’s that team with the bird on their helmet? The red bird...?” “Oh, Arizona?” He asked, almost as a formality since he himself seemed sure of the answer that I was eluding to.

From that day on, my father who wasn’t a football savant nor could he give every historical fact regarding his or any other football team, would mesmerize me with stories of Dan Marino and Larry Csonka. Talk to me about how the days back then were different and how tough someone had to be to play in that era. Things have changed and time has passed. I don’t see him too often as we are stated away, but when I do, the Dolphins and Vikings are a big part of our reconciliation. Every time. 

So I was a fan of the Cardinals for 4 days. The. I was a fan of the Bills for a couple days. Then I saw Cris Carter catch a touchdown in the back of the end zone with one hand, and I decided on that day to be a die hard purple fan.  I have been rooted there since.

My brother and I just watched both of our games at a bar a couple weeks ago and shared thoughts on the season. He watched his Colts fall to the Steelers and my Vikings lose to the Chiefs. We rode home together with my girlfriend unaware of how seriously we take these things, pissed off, lol. A great time though nonetheless

I grew up with a Dolphins fan in my dad, and my brother, a Colts fan.  Come to think of it, pretty sure we all root for each other’s teams when ours isn’t playing. But yes, I do have a second and third favorite team: (no order)

The Miami Dolphins and the Indianapolis Colts. 

Edited by Torchezim

15 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Patriots: I've liked them since 1996.They exemplify professionalism, preparation, teamwork and consistency. They have the greatest HC/QB tandem in football history, and nine times out of ten they will find a way to beat you. They also have a gift for knocking off teams I dislike.

Bills: I feel for them. Also, they have the best uniforms in the league.

Titans: They were once the Oilers, who I really liked as a kid. I was disappointed that they moved, but I still like them in Tennessee. They were very exciting with Steve McNair and Eddie George. Too bad they didn't win Super Bowl XXXIV.

Are you old enough to have seen the Oilers back in the days of Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell?  Those were some fun teams to watch.  Earl Campbell was absolutely amazing and is still my all-time favorite running back.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, those guys.

i even liked them in the Bledsoe era.

How about back in the days of Russ Francis?  There are probably a few of us ancients who remember him.  There was a day when the Patriots had gotten to a few Super Bowls but didn't win them.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Can you just picture Andrew Sendejo trying to tackle Earl Campbell?  

It would be interesting to see, but I have a feeling Sendejo might just bounce off of him.  That's probably just me romanticizing how great Earl was back in the days of my youth though.  What amazes me about watching film of him is that he gave almost no thought to protecting the ball when he was running.  He would hold the thing way out away from his body.  I always thought that if I had to try and tackle him I would probably just go for the ball and hope to get lucky by knocking it out of his hand.  xD

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Chiefs...mainly due to Mahomes

He is the most exciting player to come along in a long time.  As a Vikings fan, I thank my lucky stars that the Bears didn't draft him.  Putting him on the same team as that Bears defense would give us all an idea what it must have been to be a fan of the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins over the last 15 years.  It just wouldn't be fair.

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

Can you just picture Andrew Sendejo trying to tackle Earl Campbell?  

Well...first off Sendejo doesn't tackle.  He tries to be a missile.  He'd simply bounce off of Campbell.

Favorite team: Minnesota Vikings
Second: North Dakota State Bison
Third: Whoever is playing the Packers
Fourth: Whoever is playing the Cowboys
Fifth: Whoever is playing the Bears
Sixth: Pittsburgh Steelers
Seventh: Denver Broncos

The sixth and seventh have somewhat flip flopped through time while everything else has been mostly constant going back into the 80s. In the 80s my favorite team was the Bison. They were followed by the Vikings, and then whoever was playing the Sioux. after that, whoever was playing the Bears, 'boys, and the Packers in that order.

Nowadays, when it comes to college ball I don't have a need to root against any other team as the Bison haven't been consistently challenged by anyone for years. I do like rooting for Sam Houston as I know I can count on them to lay down in the playoffs for the Bison.