Teams with different starting QB in 2020?

DoleINGout

On 11/18/2019 at 3:23 PM, iknowcool said:

Consensus among who? Nobody has any insider information.  It’s just speculation based on him going to IR.

Could we cut him, yes, but there’s no reason we would do it without a good backup plan.  Panthers cutting Cam to save money and signing an older Dalton for about the same money, if not more (FA QBs always get paid regardless of skill level), is not a backup plan.  And the only reason we would cut Cam is to save money.

LIS, if Panthers get rid of Cam, they almost certainly with a new staff would trade up for one of the QBs.  Otherwise there’s no point in getting rid of him just to sign another similarity priced QB... especially if it’s Dalton.

What team has ever gotten rid of a quality QB just for the sake of saving money without a plan?  It would just be dumb.  I get we could let him go, but we aren’t going to do it unless we are confident we can get Tua or another 1st round QB.  Otherwise we’re going into 2020 with what would probably the leagues worst full time starter in Kyle Allen, and that’s just something no team would do when the alternative is keep Newton.  There’s a reason Ravens kept Flacco until they found an actual alternative.  

There is a school of thought that Cam may refuse to play on the one-year lame duck deal he's sitting on. If that's the case, I think Tepper probably moves on regardless. It makes sense for Cam. Why risk the rest of your career on one season when another team would give at least some security? I can't see Tepper agreeing to anything more than a one-year tack on, and I don't necessarily think that will get it done, nor do I necessarily think that's a good idea. Cam would honestly be an idiot to play out the last year of that deal with his injury history. He'd be risking way too much. It's not just the cap space in the vacuum of 2019.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cypher said:

There is a school of thought that Cam may refuse to play on the one-year lame duck deal he's sitting on. If that's the case, I think Tepper probably moves on regardless. It makes sense for Cam. Why risk the rest of your career on one season when another team would give at least some security? I can't see Tepper agreeing to anything more than a one-year tack on, and I don't necessarily think that will get it done, nor do I necessarily think that's a good idea. Cam would honestly be an idiot to play out the last year of that deal with his injury history. He'd be risking way too much. It's not just the cap space in the vacuum of 2019.

That’s true, but if the Panthers aren’t giving him additional years out of fear of injury, what team is/would?  I get Cam might not want to play on a one year deal, but there aren’t many teams I can think of that would give him a lengthy extension while also giving up trade compensation. 

Unless the Panthers outright release him, which again would be dumb.  Especially without an actual backup plan in place.  Someone tweeted it awhile ago - when has a team ever willingly entered QB wilderness when they didn’t have to?  Ravens waited for Jackson until they finally moved on from Flacco.  Colts had the #1 pick.  Giants waited until they drafted Jones.  And Cam is certainly better than 2018/2019 Eli.  

Cam might not want to play on the deal, but he doesn’t have much leverage.  He could hold out, I guess, but if anything that would hurt him even more - it would be 3 seasons of inactivity/injury.  Panthers would be fools to let him go before they have a plan on the roster.  Otherwise we’re chancing heading into 2020 with Kyle Allen as our QB.  And if that’s the case, blow the whole team up and go for Lawrence in 2021.  

I don’t think Newton has much of a long term future here, but I don’t see from the Panthers perspective what they benefit from letting him go until an alternative pops up.  

Edited by iknowcool

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

That’s true, but if the Panthers aren’t giving him additional years out of fear of injury, what team is/would?  I get Cam might not want to play on a one year deal, but there aren’t many teams I can think of that would give him a lengthy extension while also giving up trade compensation. 

Unless the Panthers outright release him, which again would be dumb.  Especially without an actual backup plan in place.  Someone tweeted it awhile ago - when has a team ever willingly entered QB wilderness when they didn’t have to?  Ravens waited for Jackson until they finally moved on from Flacco.  Colts had the #1 pick.  Giants waited until they drafted Jones.  And Cam is certainly better than 2018/2019 Eli.  

Cam might not want to play on the deal, but he doesn’t have much leverage.  He could hold out, I guess, but if anything that would hurt him even more - it would be 3 seasons of inactivity/injury.  Panthers would be fools to let him go before they have a plan on the roster.  Otherwise we’re chancing heading into 2020 with Kyle Allen as our QB.  And if that’s the case, blow the whole team up and go for Lawrence in 2021.  

I don’t think Newton has much of a long term future here, but I don’t see from the Panthers perspective what they benefit from letting him go until an alternative pops up.  

We did the exact thing you're talking about with the transition from Delhomme to Moore/Clausen. It's easily as likely we'd ride Allen/Grier/Free Agent through 2020 and secure our QBOTF in 2021. There's very few reasons to retain Cam. If we fire Rivera, who do we hire? Do we saddle the next head coach with a 31 year old QB coming off multiple injuries who hasn't been healthy in over a year? I don't know that there's going to be a lot of interest for coaches to walk into that situation. If Rivera keeps his job, sure, that makes it much more feasible, but i'm not sure that's going to happen.

I feel pretty confident Rivera is done, which likely means Tepper cleans house. Colbert in Pitt is rumored to be leaving, and that would make a ton of sense for Carolina. In fact, due to the Steelers ties, I could see that being the prime target. If Tomlin hadn't recently signed an extension I would have said Colbert/Tomlin to Carolina would have been a near guarantee, and that may actually play into Rivera's favor. Tepper could let Hurney/Rivera/Cam play out the last year, or at least Rivera/Cam, with his eyes on replacing them both in 2021 with Tomlin and a new QB.

I don't know, I feel like we're absolutely wasting our time hoping Cam suddenly gets healthy. He's 31 before next season. Mobile QBs like him retire at 32-34, or at least are relegated to backups. It seems nonsensical to me to grasp at the straws of history in some wild hope 2015 Cam is going to come bursting back onto the scene and carry us to a title. Dude's body seems donezo.

15 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I feel pretty confident Rivera is done, which likely means Tepper cleans house.

Agreed.
And Tepper will let the new GM and new HC make the call on Cam going forward, it will be a part of those interviews in January/February
Then they have time before FA opens up in March to decide if a trade/cut/keep & extend makes the most sense

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Feels like you guys might be a great landing spot for Tua. Bridge year with Cam in 2020 and allow him to take his time rehabbing and then hand the keys to the franchise over when he's healthy and Cam's contract is up. Cam might not love the situation but it gives him a clear window to prove himself and try and earn another payday elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cypher said:

We did the exact thing you're talking about with the transition from Delhomme to Moore/Clausen. It's easily as likely we'd ride Allen/Grier/Free Agent through 2020 and secure our QBOTF in 2021. 

To be fair, Matt Moore looked great or at least like he had a lot of potential in 2009.  A lot of people (or at least I did) thought he could be a franchise QB, which is more than Allen has shown outside of a couple of games. 

I get what you’re saying though.  I’m just not sure the $19m is worth saving without a plan in place, like I get the high risk with Newton but I think it’s better to take that risk than accept what you have in Allen or Grier.  Unless Tepper is accepting 2020 is a rebuild year, which I guess is what I’m not taking into account in this whole thing.  He does seem like someone who would just blow the whole thing up, which probably is the smarter play than prolonging the likely inevitable (Cam gets hurt or Panthers miss the playoffs anyway).  But if that’s the case, we may as well go all-in and let guys like Short go too

Edited by iknowcool

Interesting that over half of the Colts fan base do no think the Jacoby Brissett is the answer in Indy, but Colts not mentioned in 4 pages of this thread. To me, it shows how spoiled Indy fans are with regard to the QB position. 

And I am a die hard Colt fan. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:41 AM, DoleINGout said:

Redskins: Alex Smith

Dolphins: Josh Rosen

Bengals: Joe Burrow

Jets: Sam Darnold

Bears: Jalen Hurts

Broncos: Drew Lock

Jaguars: Gardner Minshew

Agree with this, except i think Justin Herbert is in there somewhere, and potentially Teddy Bridgewater. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:06 PM, flyguy1609 said:

what about Tennessee? you think they stick with Ryan Tannehill or do you think they make a switch?

On 11/18/2019 at 12:28 PM, DoleINGout said:

They're right there, (203 points for), near the bottom with the Steelers (200) and Chargers, (207). I don't expect the Steelers to necessarily go after a high draft pick QB again so soon. The Chargers however are projected to go after a quarterback I would think. The Titans are mediocre at best with Ryan Tannehill so perhaps they will hold off another season too.

If I had to put money on what happens in Tennessee: they re-sign Tannehill to a two or three year contract after this season (depending on how strongly he finishes) and draft a rookie this season.  Fromm would be a good fit for the offense they seem to want, but Tua is a real possibility now too.  They'll sit behind Tanny until they believe they're ready to start.

Also depending on how strongly he finishes, they may not spend their first round pick on a QB, and instead grab someone in the second, so there's not as much pressure to turn them into a starter.  However, just based on how JRob does things, and how teams looking for QBs typically do things, I'd bet they wait til next year or trade down in the first rather than wait til the second or later.

To me, Tannehill is a mediocre QB, not a franchise guy, and the Titans believe they can win with mediocre QB play.  With this defense, they're right, but the jury is still out on how much they can win without better play from a QB.