How good is Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was wondering this too. 2018 he got the benefit of the doubt given the injury. I know his WRs aren't good but he still has Ertz and one of the better OLs too

aren't good is a massive understatement.

But basically it's a culmination of a bottom 1 WR corp, a bottom 5 OC, and he just has absolutely no trust in anyone but ertz at this point.

He's always been just above average (which plenty of teams would take), even during 2017, but right now the team is devastated with injuries. It's a miracle Philly managed to score points against us despite being down 2 starting WRs, the starting RB and their All-Pro RT.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was wondering this too. 2018 he got the benefit of the doubt given the injury. I know his WRs aren't good but he still has Ertz and one of the better OLs too

Benefit of the doubt in regards to being what?... He still threw 21 TDs to 7 INTs, 100+ passer rating in 11 starts, where he was hurt for a handful of them. I feel like some think he was a trash QB in 2018.

To OP, he's a good not great QB, granted only year 4 so no reason not to hope for improvement, who has had very poor supporting cast this year after a great cast in 2018.

I'm not going to get worked up too much here, it's a what have you done for me lately league, and lately? Carson just had a bad game (as many do against the Pats), his box score numbers on the season are below league average, his team is .500, it is understandable why those not glued to the Eagles will write him off or lose faith. I'll just say to me he looks like the same QB he was in 2017 in terms of ability.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Benefit of the doubt in regards to being what?... He still threw 21 TDs to 7 INTs, 100+ passer rating in 11 starts, where he was hurt for a handful of them. I feel like some think he was a trash QB in 2018.

To OP, he's a good not great QB, granted only year 4 so no reason not to hope for improvement, who has had very poor supporting cast this year after a great cast in 2018.

I'm not going to get worked up too much here, it's a what have you done for me lately league, and lately? Carson just had a bad game (as many do against the Pats), his box score numbers on the season are below league average, his team is .500, it is understandable why those not glued to the Eagles will write him off or lose faith. I'll just say to me he looks like the same QB he was in 2017 in terms of ability.

Maybe it was just he was overshadowed by Mahomes but he just wasn't getting the MVP buzz like in 2017

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Maybe it was just he was overshadowed by Mahomes but he just wasn't getting the MVP buzz like in 2017

Oh ok, so you meant benefit of the doubt in regards to being an MVP-caliber QB? That's fair. I think in that sense, it would be fair to now kind of look at 2017 as more a great season from a good QB than just the play of a great QB.

He didn't get MVP buzz in 2018 because he wasn't playing at an MVP level, simple as that, more top 12ish? I think the drop off from MVP play in 2017 to merely good play in 2018 left people thinking he was a disaster in 2018.

I’d say he’s above-average/good. His receivers stink and the offensive coaching is offensive to say the least, but you do expect a guy getting paid top-5 money to elevate the team. 

The Eagles front office needs to identify that Mike Groh and all of these in-house promotions are awful coaching moves. Doug Pederson is at his best when he can collaborate with others. He clearly can’t run an offensive system on his own. Bring in some smart/innovative coaches who can cater an offense to Wentz’s strengths, some receivers who can actually catch the ball/who Wentz can trust, and get rid of all of the bad apples who still wish Foles was the QB. Wentz is over-thinking and playing hero ball on the field - he’ll never reach his full potential if that’s the case. 

Wentz isn’t absolved of all blame, but as @Daimonas said the coaching and receiver talent is awful. I thought that the Eagles had a top unit too going into the season lol