How good is Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

I like Wentz. He’s tough, competitive, athletic, big arm. I think he’s a top ten quarterback. He just doesn’t have a lot to work with at receiver right now. As a Giants fan, I empathize with his struggles. Could be worse though. His offensive line could be a turnstile, and his running backs could gain 1 yard on 13 carries. I guess what I’m saying is - it’s tough for a lot of quarterbacks around the league right now. The truly great ones find ways to overcome circumstances. Everyone else needs help. Wentz is good, not great. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I like Wentz. He’s tough, competitive, athletic, big arm. I think he’s a top ten quarterback. He just doesn’t have a lot to work with at receiver right now. As a Giants fan, I empathize with his struggles. Could be worse though. His offensive line could be a turnstile, and his running backs could gain 1 yard on 13 carries. I guess what I’m saying is - it’s tough for a lot of quarterbacks around the league right now. The truly great ones find ways to overcome circumstances. Everyone else needs help. Wentz is good, not great. 

This. I think we'd be looking at Wentz in a brighter light right now if Desean Jackson was healthy all year. That offense desperately needs some speed.

• Like 3

A few thoughts:

- It's becoming more evident that Frank Reich was the offensive mastermind for the Eagles two years ago. There's not much creativity at all.
- The current corps of WRs aren't capable of getting separation or catching contested passes.
- There have now been three games where a WR drops a game-winning (game-tying yesterday) ball that hits them right in the hands. If the WRs could catch routine passes, they could very well be 8-3 right now and the story would be much different.
- With all that said, Wentz can't be completely absolved. He can be erratic at times.

57 minutes ago, Gmen said:

It annoys me the lengths you will go to defend Wentz while pooping on Dak. You are supposed to be an equal opportunity hater. You are failing your responsibilities as a divisional rival. 

But your assessment is spot on. Wentz is a good, maybe very good, QB. But he is not elite. 

Edited by Matts4313

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

What "great" qbs are overcoming "circumstances". Because if anything, its quite the opposite. The "great" qbs right now, are really great in large part to their circumstances. 

Wilson is prolly the one you might be able to make a case for. But he has good corp of receivers, great coach, good rb who gets tough yards and 1 of the top 3 home field advantages.

I cant think of a qb who is playing great in bad circumstances. 

He's a good solid QB. Those QBs have a lot of value in this league. You can do FAR worse than him and he has the ability at any season to play at an MVP level or close to it. 

Everyone would love QBs to be like a prime Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees/etc, but that just isn't reality. Just being good is good enough, no pun intended. 

I was/am a fan of Wentz but I was watching the game yesterday and I thought to myself, I thought this guy was better than that.

He's a top 10 QB but clearly not any better right now.

You can't put it all on his receiving corps as he missed some throws yesterday that you would expect an elite QB to hit most of the time.

I think Wentz has the potential to be a great quarterback. He has the smarts, talents, and size, but two things are really limiting him;  Play designs and receiver play.  Mike Groh has simply got to go and at this point, agholor needs to be cut. 

Brees has Thomas

Watson has Hopkins

Mahomes has Hill

Brady has Edelman

Cousins has Thielan and Diggs

Winston has Evans

Rivers has Allen

Goff has Kupp

Trubisky has Robinson

Foles has a stud named Chark

Ryan has Julio

Dak has cooper (the guy is always open)

Wentz's biggest weapon played one game for him and Alshon is either under coached or regressed severely.. We have a great TE duo but there is only so many times you can throw to them before the defense stops it. You have to play the whole field..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

With the exception of yesterdays game, I think Deshaun Watson falls into this category also.

Watson has a lot of weapons and an improving OL. I wouldnt call his situation "bad" by any means.

21 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Wentz played not good yesterday but lets just look at this crap 

Wentz needs to throw that ball on time. His hesitation is a huge reason that the play didnt work.

10 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

I think Wentz has the potential to be a great quarterback. He has the smarts, talents, and size, but two things are really limiting him;  Play designs and receiver play.  Mike Groh has simply got to go and at this point, agholor needs to be cut. 

So none of it is on Wentz? Its all coaching and surrounding talent?

Dak has cooper (the guy is always open)

lol. You realize Dak was #1 last year and is top 5 this year in tight window throws, right? And Cooper is not always open, thats crazy. Half this forum thought he was a bottom tier starting WR before he came to the Cowboys.

Wentz's biggest weapon played one game for him and Alshon is either under coached or regressed severely.. We have a great TE duo but there is only so many times you can throw to them before the defense stops it. You have to play the whole field..

Agree with all of this. 

Edited by Matts4313

Wentz is good, to sum it up.

Eagles have a darn good OLine. But, Wentz has problems with his receivers getting open and with them holding on to well placed passes.

Notice Wentz can hit Ertz with ease (and Goedert, too). But as one poster pointed out, you gotta spread the ball. In a better world with good receivers, Wentz would be a top 10 for sure.

• Like 3