My sober offseason prediction for 2020: Pace will do nothing

malagabears

There you have it. Whether we finish 7-9 or 6-10 this season is so far gone down the drain it doesn't matter. Due to stubborn pride coupled with fighting for his job Pace will force Nagy to shove Buscuit down our throats for next year. At the most he will:

1. Remove the play-calling duties from Nagy and hand them off to Helfrich or someone similar.

2. Bring in a vet or draft a QB with one of the 2nd round picks to give Biscuit competition.

3. Decline Buscuit's 5th year option to give him a face saving gesture for 2021.

That's all I got.

Man... what a difference a year makes. 

Pace needs to admit a mistake and cut Trubisky. Don't be emotional or let ego get in the way. Good leaders admit mistakes fast and correct them. 

Next, assess the head coach. Easy to lay things all on Trubisky, but Nagy has made a lot of bonehead decisions. He looks in over his head now. Teams figured out his gimmicks and trick plays. He can't straight up coach an offense. It's not all on the QB. Nagy is too cute for his own good as a play caller and manager.

FInd a QB (and don't get desperate). This is going to be a hard task. No.. and Andy Dalton or end of the line Cam Newton are not going to move the needle. 

He has his work cut out for him. Finding a QB won't be easy. He has some pending free agents that are core players. He has a DE making 26 mil next year he has to navigate. Pace is in a make or break year. 

Firing him, the next GM will be in a tough spot. No QB. No draft capital and up against the cap.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I could see Helfrich getting fired and Nagy being told to give up playcalling. But Nagy will be the coach and Mitch will be the starting QB.

I 100% agree with Nagy being the coach next year. I 100% disagree with Trubisky being the QB. If this mythical hip issue puts him on IR, there's no way he's the starter. He may be brought back, but he won't be the starter.

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I 100% agree with Nagy being the coach next year. I 100% disagree with Trubisky being the QB. If this mythical hip issue puts him on IR, there's no way he's the starter. He may be brought back, but he won't be the starter.

They're going to bring in someone to compete with him. They have to.

Chase Daniel sucks... again as we saw last night. 

For as much as I think Nagy has done a terrible job I feel he will get one more shot in 2020.

If you fire Pace,  your new hire is going to have to be comfortable with: limited draft capital, tight salary cap, big contracts coming up... you will not be getting the best candidates, you will be getting someone desperate for a GM job

I really wish I could find some other sport interesting. Maybe the get on track next year but more likely we're in for another rebuild after 2020 

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

If you fire Pace,  your new hire is going to have to be comfortable with: limited draft capital, tight salary cap, big contracts coming up... you will not be getting the best candidates, you will be getting someone desperate for a GM job

I really wish I could find some other sport interesting. Maybe the get on track next year but more likely we're in for another rebuild after 2020 

True it wouldn't exactly be the most attractive of job openings until 2021. The organization already made their bed with Pace Nagy and Tru. At best I see them bringing in a vet QB in 2020 to try and salvage their jobs but based on what we've seen from Nagy and his playcalling tendencies I'm not even sure that helps matters much.

8 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

You only fire Pace if there is a legit candidate you have been waiting for. If Eric DeCastro from the Ravens changed his mind I would jump on that. 

20 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

For 1 year.

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

True it wouldn't exactly be the most attractive of job openings until 2021. The organization already made their bed with Pace Nagy and Tru. At best I see them bringing in a vet QB in 2020 to try and salvage their jobs but based on what we've seen from Nagy and his playcalling tendencies I'm not even sure that helps matters much.

Another wasted year.

Thanks George McCaskey.