Dwayne Haskins talks to Oline During Game - Doesn't get Great Response

MKnight82

Haskins is clearly over his head on the field and off the field. The people that ask "What Can I do to help" are usually the clueless ones. It was an awkward question to be screaming at your teammates for, hence the reaction. But let's play this up like it was the offensive line not caring.  You've been preparing all week and you don't know what to do to help? That's your job, Dwayne.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Here's the actual video of Morgan Moses response, he didn't say anything negative about Haskins and even said he expects him to have a great future.  It sounds like Moses is more hinting at how its hard to stay focused with the circus going on around them.  

I feel a lot better having seen that, honestly. It was really bothering me to think that veteran guys on this team — especially the interim coach’s “guys” — would be rebuffing the young QB like that. 

They still need to cut bait with a lot of these guys, but it makes me feel better to know there’s not actually any substantial hard feelings or disconnect there. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I feel a lot better having seen that, honestly. It was really bothering me to think that veteran guys on this team — especially the interim coach’s “guys” — would be rebuffing the young QB like that. 

They still need to cut bait with a lot of these guys, but it makes me feel better to know there’s not actually any substantial hard feelings or disconnect there. 

Ya it sounds like Moses is just more fed up with the organization, which we all are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

Haskins is clearly over his head on the field and off the field. The people that ask "What Can I do to help" are usually the clueless ones. It was an awkward question to be screaming at your teammates for, hence the reaction. But let's play this up like it was the offensive line not caring.  You've been preparing all week and you don't know what to do to help? That's your job, Dwayne.

He is in over his head. His background didn’t sufficiently prepare him to do this job, he’s learning as he goes along, and none of the people around him — neither the players nor the coaches nor the management — are doing much to help him. 

Not many rookie QBs in recent memory could have been successful under these circumstances: head coach fired before he ever made a start; prehistoric offensive scheme implemented by an OL coach and a kid who started calling plays for the first time a month ago; exactly one receiver (a fellow rookie) who can get open; largely ineffective run game; an OL that, at best, isn’t doing him many favors; a horrendously porous defense; and arguably the most dysfunctional organization providing consistent chaos around him. How many rookies wouldn’t be in over their heads under those circumstances?

The question is how well he progresses, and how much the organization and roster progress around him. Hopefully they give him a fighting chance. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya it sounds like Moses is just more fed up with the organization, which we all are.

Knowing the whole context, I do get a sense that there was some frustration with the offensive coaching staff behind the “simple math” comment. 

Kind of a “they set us up to fail” type sentiment, in that he’s basically saying they never had a chance to block it up when Williams was bringing more than they could possibly handle up front. Maybe he thinks the answer was keeping more guys in to protect, maybe it was more screens/draws, maybe Haskins just should have been able to recognize it and audible/go hot, who knows — but it sounds a bit like he’s suggesting the coaching staff hung them out to dry with the play calls and gameplan. 

5 hours ago, taylor made said:

Fully agree.

Moses with the prepared answer. "Yeah, I know what youre talking about." AKA: "I was ready for this, been preparing an answer all morning."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

It was hard to watch someone who wants to succeed have to yell at men, grown men who have just accepted their fate.

For most that have been here, they are accustomed to losing. They have been losers since they signed/got drafted by the Skins. The darn good culture here has set in for most. So when someone calls them out for not adequately doing their job and sincerely wants to know what he can do to help, they all do what they are accustomed to, they fail to respond.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

It was hard to watch someone who wants to succeed have to yell at men, grown men who have just accepted their fate.

Thats what you saw?

I saw some rookie lucky there were cameras around or he would have gotten the fat lip he deserved.

Theyre gathered, trying to plan how to work around his skillset. He knows what he needed to do. Most everyone knows what he needed to do. They were bringing numbers, because he couldnt keep them from doing so. Blitzing 2 constantly because they didnt have the slightest fear of him finding receivers early. They dont bring 2 against Brady because Brady feeds off the openness of the field in the blink of an eye.

He was spoiled at OSU. His 5* line going against 1-2* defensive fronts. Now he faces a 5* D Front and he gets whiny and throws a hissy fit.

It’s kinda funny to see the dudes who didn’t want Haskins in the first place so far entrenched in their feelings of him that they’ll now defend a guy who’s been a matador at right tackle all season.

The OL has been horrible. They were horrible when Keenum and McCoy played. They’re horrible in the run game. Our best OL has been Ereck freaking Flowers for Christ sakes. The fact that they can’t even be bothered to look up at the kid when he’s begging them for help is pathetic and it speaks to a much bigger problem within this franchise. If I were the GM Tony Bergstrom wouldn’t have a job today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

It’s kinda funny to see the dudes who didn’t want Haskins in the first place so far entrenched in their feelings of him that they’ll now defend a guy who’s been a matador at right tackle all season.

The OL has been horrible. They were horrible when Keenum and McCoy played. They’re horrible in the run game. Our best OL has been Ereck freaking Flowers for Christ sakes. The fact that they can’t even be bothered to look up at the kid when he’s begging them for help is pathetic and it speaks to a much bigger problem within this franchise. If I were the GM Tony Bergstrom wouldn’t have a job today. 

Well Haskins has been outright horrible too.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well Haskins has been outright horrible too.

I never said he was good but the declarations after two games is kinda silly. If he sucks next season then I totally get moving on but give the guy a chance. The whole “he’ll never be able to do this or that” is kinda crazy.