Early returns for the 2019 Raiders Rookie Class

RaidersAreOne

It was a good draft for sure, but also keep in mind it is going to look a lot better than some other teams right now because most teams that have competent FOs also have rosters with a lot of veteran talent, which means their rookies aren't going to see the field as frequently as the raiders rookies do. 

Just giving some perspective.

Its a good start for a lot of these guys, but it seems like mayock went after immediate starters and role players rather than huge upside guys. It makes perfect sense considering where you guys were, but their ceilings might be somewhat limited down the road because of this. 

It was a good draft to turn a bad team into a competent one, but I don't think it's the type of draft that could have taken a good team and made it great.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Did Josh Allen fit their scheme? He looks pretty good as a rookie.

I think Josh Allen would be playing more LB for them than he would DE. I don’t think either would have been bad selections. I had Ferrell ranked as my #4 player in the class, but I didn’t think he had elite upside as a pass rusher. He just had a really really high floor. And he has great pass rush moves. Plays with his hands consistently. Stops the run. Team leader. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

People expecting too much flash from him. When it was said a million times he’s not a flash guy. He’s a Brandon Graham clone almost. Ferrell will get you 6-10 sacks on a year (usually 6-8) but an elite run defender, swats a ton of balls, and gets pressures that don’t equate to sacks.

Graham is constantly in PFFs Top 40. I’d take Graham at Pick 4 in a heartbeat in any normal draft. 

I’m not saying Ferrell will be as a good as Graham but it’s a good comp.  

That sounds a lot like Carlos Dunlap. 

• Like 1

look i was one out of not many who believed grudes would do well when he went back to the raiders and tbh i think his offensive playcalling has been excellent and taken advantage of limited weapons that carr has (though they have an excellent TE cadre), and even more importantly he’s restored the raiders offensive line to the road graders they were in 2016

admittedly though i didn’t think that mayock would flop i was a skeptic... but he and the grude have done so well to build a team on the rise out of nothing and for that he deserves a reward, he’d be my exec of the year at this point

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

look i was one out of not many who believed grudes would do well when he went back to the raiders and tbh i think his offensive playcalling has been excellent and taken advantage of limited weapons that carr has (though they have an excellent TE cadre), and even more importantly he’s restored the raiders offensive line to the road graders they were in 2016

admittedly though i didn’t think that mayock would flop i was a skeptic... but he and the grude have done so well to build a team on the rise out of nothing and for that he deserves a reward, he’d be my exec of the year at this point

Playoffs or not, if we're able to go 10-6, that award should be a foregone conclusion given the production from rookies/FA signings and that most people had us going 8-8 at the very magical best to start the year (pre Antonio Brown meltdown). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He hasn't been bad though? Not elite like a #4 pick is expected to be, but saying he is bad is simply wrong.

Probably been riding those PFF coattails. 

PFF has proven to grade picks they liked good throughout out a season, even if they play bad. And a player they had graded good, they will keep grading well throughout the season regardless of play. 

PFF has done this for years. They had Ferrell as a 2nd Round Pick and completely hated him (they are the only site that had Ferrell as a 2nd Rounder, literally no one else). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Pretty amazing to see how the deeper picks coming good early has allowed people to sugarcoat how bad Ferrell has been.

What are you talking about? Have you watched him play this year? He certainly hasn't been a liability. He's played the run fine, had some deflections, and come along in the sack/pressure department since getting better from his illness which caused him to lose ~20 pounds midseason. 

• Like 3

Literally everything I've heard until like two weeks ago was that Ferrell has been trash. I haven't seen anyone defending him until this recent trend of going nuts about the Raiders draft class.

There was like a 7 week stretch where he didn't have a sack, hit, or pressure. He has absolutely played poorly.

• Like 1