Report: Fangio “treats everyone like crap”

AnAngryAmerican

Well, surprise, surprise. A 60+ year old rookie HC who is set in his ways and “old school” is not cut out to be a head coach in the 2019 NFL. 

According to a report from Jason La Canfora - who, to be fair, I have referred to multiple times in the past as a “hack” - Vic Fangio has a litany of problems, most of which surround his people skills, or lack thereof, and things are Dove Valley are once again spiraling out of control. 

The report is worth a read, the source not withstanding, but a lot of the problems mentioned should not come as a surprise to anyone who follows the organization closely.

It looks like, for the second time in a row, the Ellis/Elway/Russell braintrust made a mistake with the selection of a head coach. Perhaps equally troubling is the section that outlines how Scangarello’s offense was a bad fit for Flacco and the former has been unable to adapt his scheme to his available talent, which is a marker of a coach who should not be coaching. 

Meanwhile, Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers are 8-1. 

Re: Scangarelli's scheme being a bad fit for Flacco - he's a stopgap player.    The issue should be with Elway's desperation to win-now and appease a win-now fanbase (and again, if Elway is just a mirror to Ellis making this call, so be it).    You aren't winning with a scheme made to bring out Joe Flacco's strengths.  His statue-like ability, combined with slow processing speeds, are why he failed - along with our lack of talent at the skill positions and the OL, of course.    He's not a NFL-level starter, and hasn't been for several years - ppl have been blinded to the name value over actual performance.  And it showed up in spades this year.

Fangio might fail, or he might succeed in 2020.   But to point to Flacco's poor fit in Scangarelli's scheme isn't an argument that holds water IMO.  The issue is our overall lack of talent.  We should be simply rebuilding for 2020, or even 2021.   The speed of our D rebuild, if anything, should be cause for optimism there.    And Munchak should be able to get our OL to round into shape, especially if we given him T talent to work with (and yes, first and foremost at LT, but also bring in some interior OL help as well).   

How we address our O with QB, OL and additional skill position players to add to Sutton/Lindsay & maybe Fant (who is coming on more, still has a ways to go, but progress is encouraging to see), will tell the tale.   Fangio & Scangarelli have earned the right to show us in 2020 whether they're the answer.    The galling lack of talent on O gives a clear pass here.   Next year, different story, but 2 years is the minimum pretty much every coaching staff deserves (some actually argue 3, and there's merit to it, save for the outright disaster hires, like VJ was).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Scangarelli's scheme being a bad fit for Flacco - he's a stopgap player.    The issue should be with Elway's desperation to win-now and appease a win-now fanbase (and again, if Elway is just a mirror to Ellis making this call, so be it).    You aren't winning with a scheme made to bring out Joe Flacco's strengths.  His statue-like ability, combined with slow processing speeds, are why he failed - along with our lack of talent at the skill positions and the OL, of course.    He's not a NFL-level starter, and hasn't been for several years - ppl have been blinded to the name value over actual performance.  And it showed up in spades this year.

Fangio might fail, or he might succeed in 2020.   But to point to Flacco's poor fit in Scangarelli's scheme isn't an argument that holds water IMO.  The issue is our overall lack of talent.  We should be simply rebuilding for 2020, or even 2021.   The speed of our D rebuild, if anything, should be cause for optimism there.    And Munchak should be able to get our OL to round into shape, especially if we given him T talent to work with (and yes, first and foremost at LT, but also bring in some interior OL help as well).   

How we address our O with QB, OL and additional skill position players to add to Sutton/Lindsay & maybe Fant (who is coming on more, still has a ways to go, but progress is encouraging to see), will tell the tale.   Fangio & Scangarelli have earned the right to show us in 2020 whether they're the answer.    The galling lack of talent on O gives a clear pass here.   Next year, different story, but 2 years is the minimum pretty much every coaching staff deserves (some actually argue 3, and there's merit to it, save for the outright disaster hires, like VJ was).

Very well said

At least for now, I don’t think I buy that.

1) as you said, that dude is a hack. 

2) It’s seems likely that came from Flacco, and he’s clearly got sour grapes. 

3) For the lack of talent that we have, those guys are playing way too hard. Yes our record sucks, but with a couple of bounces the other way, we could very easily be 6-4. Point is, despite having one of the worst o-lines in football and an overall lack of talent at key positions, we’ve still been in a position to win in most of our games this year. You don’t get that kind of effort out of a coach no one likes. I think. But I could be wrong, it’s happened twice before in my life 🤣

• Like 4

To be honest, I put precisely zero stock in this story. I am sure there was some consternation about the anemic offensive play under Flacco. And there should be. I'm sure Fangio, who has a no BS approach, isn't popular with everyone who wants their ego coddled in an NFL locker room, but players seem to respond quite well to him. There's a lot of success in that defensive locker room regardless of record. I have a hard time believing this is coming from that side of the house.

• Like 2

That is an excellent article, but only for comedic reasons. 

"Fangio has [...] come across as overbearing on the headsets."
Umm, ok.

"There is almost no discussion beyond football, sources said"
What does this source think Fangio does here?

"Pretty much everyone gets treated like (crap), [...] but if anything I think it's brought the (coaches) on offense closer together." 
This quote invalidates itself.

"There were questions as to how well veteran quarterback Joe Flacco fit the offense at this stage of his career, as he lacks mobility, was stuck behind a poor pass-protecting line and unable to operate with a moving pocket and the boots and waggles emphasized in the offense."
No (crap) Sherlock.

I agree with what everyone says, by and large, but if someone is leaking this, is there not a question of, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire?”

La Canfora, again not exactly my favorite reporter, is citing multiple sources in this story. One is almost assuredly Flacco, who is here to collect a paycheck and establish a nice place for he and his family to live (I can’t blame him, why would anyone want to live on the East Coast when they could live here?). Is the other, or another, Sanders? Maybe, but what does he gain throwing his former team - the one with whom he won his ring - under the bus? Plus he’s now living large in SF on a playoff team with real head coach. 

My beat reporter friend has said there has been chaffing under Fangio. Like it or not, millionaire millennials are the not the easiest people with whom to work; reality is reality. I’m not one to advocate bending over backwards because one or some of them has sand in their panties but I also don’t think it would kill Fangio to remember it’s not 1985 anymore. 

Pete Carrol is 71 and his players love him. Sean McVay is 34 and his players love him. Both of whom have coached teams to the Super Bowl. Vic, a 60 year old rookie whose never won anything, at any level, ever, could stand to give a little and get a little, IMHO. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree with what everyone says, by and large, but if someone is leaking this, is there not a question of, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire?”

La Canfora, again not exactly my favorite reporter, is citing multiple sources in this story. One is almost assuredly Flacco, who is here to collect a paycheck and establish a nice place for he and his family to live (I can’t blame him, why would anyone want to live on the East Coast when they could live here?). Is the other, or another, Sanders? Maybe, but what does he gain throwing his former team - the one with whom he won his ring - under the bus? Plus he’s now living large in SF on a playoff team with real head coach. 

My beat reporter friend has said there has been chaffing under Fangio. Like it or not, millionaire millennials are the not the easiest people with whom to work; reality is reality. I’m not one to advocate bending over backwards because one or some of them has sand in their panties but I also don’t think it would kill Fangio to remember it’s not 1985 anymore. 

Pete Carrol is 71 and his players love him. Sean McVay is 34 and his players love him. Both of whom have coached teams to the Super Bowl. Vic, a 60 year old rookie whose never won anything, at any level, ever, could stand to give a little and get a little, IMHO. 

Can you provide more specifics re your beat reporter friend? I mean, if we throw out what La Canfora says, then we really have nothing to go on here...

52 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Can you provide more specifics re your beat reporter friend? I mean, if we throw out what La Canfora says, then we really have nothing to go on here...

We didn't talk at great length about it. He said that Fangio's gruff demeanor hasn't sat well with everyone and that he believes La Canfora's sources could be both coaches and players, but mostly if not entirely on the offensive side of the ball. He said what JLC reported is likely true but that, like a lot of national reporters, he made things seem far worse than they were to create interest, drive clicks and page views, etc. He also said JLC has long had an adversarial relationship with the Broncos and thus does like to paint the organization in as bad of light as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We didn't talk at great length about it. He said that Fangio's gruff demeanor hasn't sat well with everyone and that he believes La Canfora's sources could be both coaches and players, but mostly if not entirely on the offensive side of the ball. He said what JLC reported is likely true but that, like a lot of national reporters, he made things seem far worse than they were to create interest, drive clicks and page views, etc. He also said JLC has long had an adversarial relationship with the Broncos and thus does like to paint the organization in as bad of light as possible. 

Man, seems like Denver attracts the haters. The late Paul Zimmerman (otherwise known as Dr. Z. Former SI writer) seemed to be one of them. He tried to say that Gradishar's tackle numbers were fabricated to keep him out of the Hall. Also, in SI's Football Book, he didn't have Atwater as one of the best six safeties in his all-90's team.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here's the problem with that take - who's Fangio going to be the most gruff with?  Answer:  Media....and especially media with whom he doesn't have a regular relationship with.

I say this as a poster who's been highly critical of the DEN draft process from 2013-17, their failure to ID QB properly since forever, and Elway/Ellis' inability to recognize that win-now is not the mode to use in team building has cost us dearly the last 2+ seasons.     But it sounds a LOT like projection.  

Again, Fangio may or may not succeed in DEN.   But this seems like a puff piece.