Week #12 GDT Steelers 5-5 vs. Bengals 0-10

Steeler Hitman

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We waived a D-linemen to bring in a linebacker. We will have fewer D-linemen as a consequence, ie thin on the D-line. 

maybe the new OLB will help the team more than the waived DL or DL in general. DMS isn't helping, and neither is Buggs. I could see Skipper being of more use, if he gets to play instead of Chickillo . 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

Steelers need to look for a back that can replace conner. He can't stay healthy and I don't see snell/samuels as starters

I think they see Snell as possibly that guy.

Not sure he has that extra gear that the offense needs but you never know.

43 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

If I'm being honest, I dont see Samuel's as a guy with a long term future in Pittsburgh.  I think Snell is eventually either the 'change of pace' or 3rd down back.

I think the future feature back of Pittsburgh is currently not on this roster and I also dont think Conner will get a new contract. He is far too injury prone.

• Like 1

sucks conner can't stay healthy, because he's a legit a top 10 type back talent wise, but him being injury prone makes the RB position a possible need. maybe they can upgrade from samuels in the late rd or FA bin(Lamar Miller? he might not be that expensive coming off a ACL injury). 2020 will feature conner, snell and FA vet/new rookie. 2021 they can look for the next starting back with a higher draft pick.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If I'm being honest, I dont see Samuel's as a guy with a long term future in Pittsburgh.  I think Snell is eventually either the 'change of pace' or 3rd down back.

I think the future feature back of Pittsburgh is currently not on this roster and I also dont think Conner will get a new contract. He is far too injury prone.

I think they  questioned Samuels ability and/or Conners going into offseason...that’s why they used s 4th in a 3rd string RB.

Im not the biggest fan of paying for a RB but I think Kenyan Drake would be a great pairing with Conner while adding some needed athleticism to the offensive skill positions.

IIRC Tev Coleman got 2 years $8 mill from SF this past offseason...I’m guessing Drake could see roughly same...I’d be ok with that.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

7 hours ago, August4th said:

sucks conner can't stay healthy, because he's a legit a top 10 type back talent wise, but him being injury prone makes the RB position a possible need. maybe they can upgrade from samuels in the late rd or FA bin(Lamar Miller? he might not be that expensive coming off a ACL injury). 2020 will feature conner, snell and FA vet/new rookie. 2021 they can look for the next starting back with a higher draft pick.

too bad Connor can't stay healthy, it will limit his next contract. Lawfirm might be good as a change of pace player if the OL gives him some lanes.  This year, that 'if' is the real issue , and possibly moving forward. I am expecting the OL to be improved without pouncey , but how much is the question

On 11/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd probably just leave Rudolph out there and give him experience. Duck is probably nothing more than our future #3. May as well see what Rudolph has to offer and how he reacts to the bad times as well as the good. It's not like our season is going to amount to anything. I'm just happy we won some games so we most likely aren't giving the Phins a top 10 pick.

I get it, but I still ask why (rhetorical)? Mason looks like nothing more than a back-up at this point. I was one of the folks who said keep Landry.  He was a career back-up type, but I believe that he would have won some games as well and not turned the ball over a lot.  He did beat the Browns a few times in mop-up, but he was a decent (not great) back-up.  If Mason is that and even potentially a little more, why not give the #3 guy a shot. When Mason struggled I would have tried to use Duck to spark the team. Back-ups are not long term answers at QB.  This is why I also say get a good veteran. We had that back in the day with Charlie Batch and Byron Lefwich. They were not Brady or Brees, but can win just like you had in New Orleans this year.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:10 AM, kurgan said:

Good job @Steeler Hitman... nice set up.  I'll take #2, BTW.

Connor, Juju and DJ are inactive.  Pouncey loses his appeal and Finney starts at C.

Rudolph will play and feast on the Bengals.  We will try to get a running game going with Samuels and it will have mixed results as the Bengals pack the box.  Rudolph will hit some big plays as Fichner simplifies the playbook and he hits JW on some deep routes, and hits Cain on a couple of bombs.  With the burners of Cain and JW on the outside, Vance has some big gains up the seam.

By the 4th quarter, we are burning the clock out and trying to get Samuels and the other backs some burn.

Defense has a great day again... Dupree/Watt get the rookie QB on the ground a number of times.

31-3 Steelers.

I see them eking out a tough win without those weapons. I would love it to be that easy, but it usually isn't even when we have the missing players in there. I would be surprised if they scored three TD's and the defense didn't score two of them. :$

22 hours ago, August4th said:

Steelers need to look for a back that can replace Conner. He can't stay healthy and I don't see Snell/Samuels as starters

I think Connors running style contributes to his injuries. That said, RB by committee is the way to go. Samuels has not been the same since being injured, but the offense has been pretty darn predictable utilizing him as well. Not his fault there or the lack of running room. Thrown the dang ball downfield against those 8 and 9  man fronts. Jim Brown would've had trouble running with the blocks that our OL has given at times. Not being mean, but honest!

22 hours ago, August4th said:

Good sign. I am hapy for him.  I haven't spoke much on this, but yes the Browns did a little head-hunting. No sour grapes or whining. It happens. No excuses, they won, we lost! I am old school, but next week, tighten your chin strap and bring your arse!!!! No fighting or cheap shots, but I am gonna kick you butt. That should be the attitude going forward. I owe you one and I am going to cash in on your arse today!!!! Old school smash-mouth and physical football! PERIOD!  "Come Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 1:01 pm. I'm knocking the Brown off your uniforms!" he he he!

maxresdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Skipper should be the #3 OLB, let chickillo be inactive if you have to while Ola is still out.  If Ola is healthy, then chickillo still is inactive;) I am tired of these vets getting a free pass no matter what. Pouncey is finally off the field for 3 games anyways.

We wanted it and now we got it. What is Skipper gonna do with the opportunity?

16 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Like all of Steeler Nation, I am pulling for Connor. He needs to be a 1A with a 1B more than just a #1. That is because of his style and our lack of brutish, mauling style OL's. Our OL's are better pass blockers than road graders.  We could use a Mike Iupati type of brute there. While Ben is there the premium is on pass blocking. Now that he is out, our ground attack is not as effective because there is no real vertical threat. 

16 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If I'm being honest, I don't see Samuel's as a guy with a long term future in Pittsburgh.  I think Snell is eventually either the 'change of pace' or 3rd down back.

I think the future feature back of Pittsburgh is currently not on this roster and I also don't think Conner will get a new contract. He is far too injury prone.

I think we have to remember that this is a team game.  Would our running game be more effective with a threat of passing? Could they and would they put 8 or 9 in the box with Big Ben at QB? Probably not.  Our defense went to another level with the addition of a safety and a ILB despite some injuries.  While I don't Connors or Samuels are the second coming of Lev Bell from a production standpoint, I think Connors proved last year that he could have success. Samuels had a big game against the Patriots and is clearly a better complimentary back than feature back.  I think that the Steelers can win with both of these guys running the ball with a good QB or an efficient one who can be a threat with his arm.

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm glad they reduced Pouncey's. I don't think he deserved 3. 

#MeToo

I'm not sure he even connected on the kick, looked like he hit the back of the Browns player in the calf that blocked it. Salty Browns fans wanting Garretts suspension reduced don't realize, he's probably getting 10 games, so holding up the 6 game is obvious. Garrett was looking at at least 2-3 games just for the manner in which he ripped off Rudolph's helmet, nevermind the helmet smash after the fact

The article on SteelersDepot mentions that some of the guys might be miced up and that the league would have this information already.

This confirms that he is an idiot.  To make that allegation, you would have to have some type of backing, and the guys would have already mentioned it.  For someone to get in his ear and convince him to use this tactic is just sickening.  YOu would have to know that the league would have evidence that this did NOT happen.

Just deplorable...

• Like 1