Weekly Bets Thread

BStanRamFan

I'm not sure if this is allowed or where to properly place this kind of thread, but as sports betting becomes legal in more states it has also become more mainstream. I was wondering if could have a thread or "area" where FF Members can post bets, suggestions, etc on sports betting. If this is not up to the sites standards, I apologize and you can lock this immediately. 

Example of what I was expecting:

MNF Chiefs (-5.5) @ LA Chargers (O/U 52)

Favorite Bet: Mike Williams TD +275

Melvin Gordon 2TD's +350

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ok... We're going to give this a shot. Only thing we ask is to keep it to football. Please don't link to any other sites, that's going to be the big ask here.

Thanks!

- ET

To echo what ET stated, you can talk about why you want to pick a line based on how teams matchup.  What you don't want to do is link to other sites (including where the best lines/odds are), or talk about personal gambling stories/winnings...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Someone give me a detailed breakdown on betting. Ive never done it, probably am not going to start, but I would like to know the intricacies. 

Vegas (or the sports book) sets a line and you can bet on that for what is more a 50/50 shot than just picking a winner. For instance, this past week New Orleans was favored over Tampa Bay by 5.5 so the line would read New Orleans (-5.5) @ Tampa Bay. New Orleans won 34-17, so they won by more than 5.5 points. Therefore a ticket for New Orleans -5.5 would win (probably something like $90 for every $100 you bet, because the house always wins). This is less about picking teams and more about picking against "number".

Moneyline is simpler yet more complex. You just pick a team to win, but you also don't get paid straight up. For convenience sake I'm just gonna say the moneyline for that same NO vs TB game was NO (-200). That means you have to bet $200 to get $100 in winnings. You pick New Orleans to win straight up, so even if it ended 31-30, you still get paid. But you get paid far less than if you bet the spread. The flip side is if you put $100 on the moneyline for Tampa Bay to win and they did you would get paid $200. Steeper odds and bolder claims have bigger pay outs.

The greatest values tend to be parlays, where you pick 2 or more games, whether that be Over/Under, against the spread or on the moneyline. The pay out increases exponentially, but you have to win every bet. You can't push (tie) or lose a single bet on your parlay ticket.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

To echo what ET stated, you can talk about why you want to pick a line based on how teams matchup.  What you don't want to do is link to other sites (including where the best lines/odds are), or talk about personal gambling stories/winnings...

One last note - should go without saying:

NO gambling directly within the site. No making bets (outside of sig bets). Doing so will probably lead to a permaban, so... don't risk it. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One last note - should go without saying:

NO gambling directly within the site. No making bets (outside of sig bets). Doing so will probably lead to a permaban, so... don't risk it. 

I bet you a beer that the Cowboys are better than the Texans. If we win, you come to Austin and we enjoy a Live Oak. If you win, I come to Houston and we enjoy a St. Arnolds. 

#rulebreaker

(this is a joke, I clearly understand and advocate the rules)

Edited by Matts4313