Current Running Backs, and Wide Receivers That are Hall of Famers

bigbadbuff23835

Peterson might be it for RBs. I definitely believe Charles deserves it for his peak and his YPA, but I doubt that gets him there without more in terms of either awards, team success, or compiling. Just too much bad luck in that career to make it. Lynch has a better shot, ESPECIALLY if he does something meaningful in Oakland, but I don't think he should go. Gore has a shot as a compiler but I don't think he ever stood out enough, really. McCoy, maybe, if he can stay strong into his 30s. But Peterson is the only lock here.

At WR, Fitz is a lock. Jones and Brown should get there if they can stay elite for a couple seasons longer. Brandon Marshall has nice career stats, but his career looks too much like a handful of other WRs that haven't and probably won't make it.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, howru8888 said:

I'm not gonna say he's a Hall of Famer but I think people over look how actually good Matt Forte was/is. How do you guys account for receptions and recieving yards when figuring out a HoF consideration for RB's?

Just look at yards from scrimmage (he's 21st for RBs.)

On 9/17/2017 at 2:09 AM, Tugboat said:

Definitely an interesting case.  Statistically, he doesn't really have a shot and probably shouldn't.  But it's the Hall of Fame, and he's been at the center of some really big stories and carries a larger than life, highly memorable character.  People may be looking back and remember that time he caused an earthquake, and the time he was just there so he wouldn't get fined...and the team success associated with that phase of his career...and remember it fondly.  It's the sort of "Jerome 'The Bus' Bettis" case, where the fame and uniqueness kind of outstrips the raw numbers.

Jerome Bettis is in the HOF because he had both the uniqueness and raw numbers. 5th all time in rushing at the time of his retirement, and fourth all time in 100 yard games. We're just not going to see that kind of productively at 260 pounds ever again. And he wasn't a compiler, had six 100 yard games in eight games during his next to last season to lead a 15-1 team in rushing. Final season in a backup role saw Bettis deliver a great game in a crucial regular season win over the Bears.  

12 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Jerome Bettis is in the HOF because he had both the uniqueness and raw numbers. 5th all time in rushing at the time of his retirement, and fourth all time in 100 yard games. We're just not going to see that kind of productively at 260 pounds ever again. And he wasn't a compiler, had six 100 yard games in eight games during his next to last season to lead a 15-1 team in rushing. Final season in a backup role saw Bettis deliver a great game in a crucial regular season win over the Bears.  

He averaged 31 carries in those 6 100 yard games. That's still compiling.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

And just to add to this. His 90+ yard run in the Superbowl during his twilight years was a memorable moment that stuck in peoples minds. Which I believe helped expedite his induction. He deserved it anyhow, but this moment just pushed him, IMO.

edit; :/ I was mixing up his fumble at the GL with Parker's run in that game and the fact that the media made such a big deal about him getting his first ring. I was just reminded from someone that I was remembering this all wrong.....and I feel like an idiot for it. But I'll leave it as is for everyone to laugh at. 

15 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

I get that argument. But he was never really a 'spectacular' kind of player. 

Then again TD got in so...

This might be the homer in me, but i think Gore was an awesome player, especially in the beginning of his career. We had no offensive weapons, except him. Opponents would put 8 in the box and Gore would still gash them. I guess it just depends on how you value his play.

I will include TE too

WR/TE

-Larry Fitzgerald (guaranteed)

-Antonio Gates (guaranteed)

-Rob Gronkowski (Nearly guaranteed)

Travis Kelce (Needs more time)

Alshon Jeffery (let it play out)

RB

Adrian Peterson (Still can't guarantee)

Lesean McCoy (Nearly Guaranteed)

David Johnson (Needs More Time)

Leveon Bell (Big decrease)

18 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I feel like Frank Gore has to be in the HOF on bulk stats alone if guys like Bettis and Curtis Martin made it. 

His is going to be an interesting case because by the time all is said and done, he will be top 5 all time in rushing yards (assuming he lasts all year with the Colts) and he's already top 10 in YFS. Then you consider that he was one of the premier pass blocking backs, and wasn't horrible in the passing game. The problem is, as someone else said, he was never one of the top running backs in the NFL. He has a single second team all pro to his credit, and that's it. The problem with the Bettis and Martin comps is that Bettis was a two time first team all pro,  and Martin had one, along with a rushing crown for one season. He does have a superior ypa to both of them, though slightly different eras (the 90's was not a kind time to running back ypa). He trails slightly behind Martin in overall touchdowns, though not by enough to make that much of a difference I think (it currently sits at 9 and is only 3 behind Bettis). I do agree that those are the best comparables to him, and if they got in, I like his chances of eventually being enshrined. Plus, and I know that this doesn't matter to us, but I think his story - blowing out both knees in college - is something that the HOF and voters will like.

57 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Witten and Gates have to be in the conversation.  Witten is 4th all time in receptions.  I think both are locks.  Probably not 1st ballot but I do not think either waits very long.

As great as Witten has been, Gates is first ballot imo. He was unguardable and overall maybe the most athletic tight end in history.

On 9/20/2017 at 8:36 PM, Jakuvious said:

Couldn't disagree more about that 2004 season. Bettis was the leading rusher for a 15-1 team, and six 100 yard games in the eight he played as a starter is very impressive. Big Ben was rushed into action, and the running game was a key component of the success. Bettis was a slower back than most, and was a third down and short conversion machine. He just didn't have the opportunity to rip off those chunks of yardage lighter, faster backs do. So many HOF backs faded with different teams, like Emmitt Smith and Eric Dickerson. Bettis isn't a compiler like Frank Gore has been lately.     

2 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Couldn't disagree more about that 2004 season. Bettis was the leading rusher for a 15-1 team, and six 100 yard games in the eight he played as a starter is very impressive. Big Ben was rushed into action, and the running game was a key component of the success. Bettis was a slower back than most, and was a third down and short conversion machine. He just didn't have the opportunity to rip off those chunks of yardage lighter, faster backs do. So many HOF backs faded with different teams, like Emmitt Smith and Eric Dickerson. Bettis isn't a compiler like Frank Gore has been lately.     

The quality of the team has nothing to do with it. Compiling is purely a function of games or seasons played and carries/catches made. Calling Gore a compiler and not Bettis doesn't make sense. Bettis had more touches and played in more games and has fewer yards from scrimmage than Gore. Gore will likely pass Bettis in rushing yards on 400+ fewer carries. Your arguments for Bettis not being a compiler don't make sense. Him not going to another team is irrelevant. Him playing for a good Steelers team is irrelevant. He continued racking up carries past his prime, and is where he is in career totals primarily due to his number of carries and games/seasons played. That's what compiling is.

And again, to reiterate, those 100 yard games are not impressive. Any RB, given 30 carries, will likely top 100 yards. One of the games he had 31 carries for 100 yards even. That's objectively bad. That's in the realm of Trent Richardson's career YPA bad.

Archived