Playoff Week 1: Bye - Snoozing is Not Losing

onejayhawk

I am going to use this Week 12 thread for the playoff bye. Here is the first round:

Buffalo Bills vs. Houston Texans – 3:35 p.m. CT on ESPN and ABC
Tennessee Titans vs. New England Patriots – 7:15 p.m. CT on CBS

The Chiefs play the higher seeded winner, ie not the Titans.

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

They have made progress in the much needed area of run defense. It's unfortunate that Ogbah was injured, because he had been the best two way DE. Still the rotation of Okafor, Kpassagnon and Clark, with the occasional addition of Chris Jones seems to be working. DT play has been solid. Overall, Ii think the DL is up to snuff.

LB play has been more problematic. Wilson has been solid all season, but Hitchens has been hesitant, while Lee, Niemann and Ragland can simply disappear for stretches. There have been flashes of Hitchens figuring things out and Ragland has had some big moments. I am still waiting for the coverage LB we were supposed to get when we signed Lee.

The secondary has been the bright spot. Mathieu has been the most consistent defender and Thornhill has been an excellent find in the draft. The real story is the CB, even though Fuller has been injured. Ward, Breeland and Fenton have been a very good low-cost group. 

It is notable how imprtant rookies are to the defense. Saunders is solid in the DT rotation, Fenton and Thornhill have been occasional stars in the secondary. It's not all there yet, but there are signs of very good things coming.

I wish I could say the same about the OL.

The Footballoutsider rankings are updated and the Chiefs are still #3. Worth noting is that our ST have moved into the top 10 after starting the year in the late 20s. The offense, sputtering as it is, is still #2 and the defense is #12. Our next opponent is Oakland, #11.

One more note. The SoS against our defense is #4, as in fourth most difficult. All three teams ahead of us, played us.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I think they have their rotation at LB figured out,  Sorensen (for as meh as he is) is probably our best coverage LB.  Lee added Bulk this off-season and has made him worse in coverage,   While also not really doing a whole lot for his run defense.

DL is still a strength,  Hitchens and Wilson look worlds better with a rotation of Nnadi and Pennel/Saunders.   

Pleasantly impressed with Fenton,  I think he’s earned to keep that same PT even when Fuller returns.  Ward has also been a breath of fresh air at CB.   While we only have 2 CB’s on the roster past this year,  it’s reassuring those 2 have shown the most promise IMO. 

Coming out of the bye,  I’m interested in seeing how they handle the RB position.  Neither Williams or McCoy have really earned the right to continue shouldering the load(albeit OL play has been an issue).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

They have made progress in the much needed area of run defense. It's unfortunate that Ogbah was injured, because he had been the best two way DE. Still the rotation of Okafor, Kpassagnon and Clark, with the occasional addition of Chris Jones seems to be working. DT play has been solid. Overall, Ii think the DL is up to snuff.

LB play has been more problematic. Wilson has been solid all season, but Hitchens has been hesitant, while Lee, Niemann and Ragland can simply disappear for stretches. There have been flashes of Hitchens figuring things out and Ragland has had some big moments. I am still waiting for the coverage LB we were supposed to get when we signed Lee.

The secondary has been the bright spot. Mathieu has been the most consistent defender and Thornhill has been an excellent find in the draft. The real story is the CB, even though Fuller has been injured. Ward, Breeland and Fenton have been a very good low-cost group. 

It is notable how imprtant rookies are to the defense. Saunders is solid in the DT rotation, Fenton and Thornhill have been occasional stars in the secondary. It's not all there yet, but there are signs of very good things coming.

I wish I could say the same about the OL.

Lee is solid in coverage

problem is it don’t Mean a thing if you can’t tackle 

This was our draft and my impressions. Not a bad pick in the lot. 

Rd 2 (56)Hardman, Mecole WR - Quality ST guy and WR4 Good pick
Rd 2 (63)Thornhill, Juan S - Solid starting DB Good pick
Rd 3 (84)Saunders, Khalen DT - Quality rotation DT Good pick
Rd 6 (201)Fenton, Rashad CB - Quality rotational CB Great pick
Rd 6 (214)Thompson, Darwin RB - Useful RB/ST player Solid pick
Rd 7 (216)Allegretti, Nick G - Rostered as multiple position OL Incomplete

J

• Like 1

Top Team Needs?(Currently)

1)LB - As a whole this group is horribly inconsistent. Could replace all 3 and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

2) Interior OL - they’re getting Mahomes killed out there and can’t run block 

3) CB - only because of contracts expiring for 3.

4) RB - no solid options here so far

5) #2 WR - Maybe a guy develops here like Mecole. I’d like a big jump ball guy

6) #2 TE - and the never ending quest continues

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Top Team Needs?(Currently)

1)LB - As a whole this group is horribly inconsistent. Could replace all 3 and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

2) Interior OL - they’re getting Mahomes killed out there and can’t run block 

3) CB - only because of contracts expiring for 3.

4) RB - no solid options here so far

5) #2 WR - Maybe a guy develops here like Mecole. I’d like a big jump ball guy

6) #2 TE - and the never ending quest continues

You got it. I would possibly add DE/DT depending on what we go with Ogbah and Chris Jones this offseason; if we let go of either or both, then we would need to add someone in the draft as a rotational piece.

Edited by Bullyball

2 hours ago, Bullyball said:

You got it. I would possibly add DE/DT depending on what we go with Ogbah and Chris Jones this offseason; if we let go of either or both, then we would need to add someone in the draft as a rotational piece.

Yeah I had DE up there before

probably put it 3 or 4

In other games Dallas  takes the #1 offense against Belichik's #1 defense. Brady was listed as Questionable but will start.

The two big Greens are playing. 8-2 Seattle at 5-5 Philly. The Eagles can still win their division.

Oakland is now 6-4 and playing at the Jets 3-7. The heat is on.

Who will you be wtching?

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Raiders losing 20-3 to the Jets 😲

I am not shocked. The Jets are better than most people think. They have a good defense and excellent special teams.

Without looking, I would guess a couple of turnovers that generated points. 

Edit: I looked. The Jets were up 10 at half then opened the 3rd quarter with long play setting up a TD. On the following possession, Oakland went for it on 4th and 1, turning the ball over on downs. Short drive TD. After KO a first play pick 6. The Jets score 21 points to start the second half. 

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1