Playoff Week 1: Bye - Snoozing is Not Losing

onejayhawk

During the off week, we can take a look at the free agents. ChiefsWire has an article on the unrestricted FA for this off season. Several are fringe players like Keith Reaser and Blake Bell, but you could make a good DL with Xavier Williams, Chris Jones, Emannual Ogbah, and Mike Pennel. Other names of note, Anthony Sherman, Demarcus Robinson, kendall Fuller, Bashaud Breeland, and both back up QB.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/gallery/kansas-city-chiefs-list-of-2020-unrestricted-free-agents/

J

6 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

I'd be ok with that. If they got a 1st round pick for him, I'd be thrilled.

I think we will tag and trade him tbh. For as good as he can be as a pass rusher, he's not the complete package. The money he will command is going to be massive too. Can't really afford it after we handed Clarke his contract.

Jets did us a solid. Lets finish the division race off this weekend. 

• 1 month later...

Juan Thornhill is confirmed with an ACL tear, so he is gone til 2021. In his place, I expect to see Kendall Fuller playing more safety and possibly more Armani Watts. If we get a lot of Fuller at FS, Mo Claiborne should be healthy and Rashad Fenton has earned some PT. Overall, I still consider the secondary a strength. 

When Miami beat New England, our Vegas odds on making the Super Bowl went from 13% to 30%. That's the difference a bye makes. 

J

45 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Juan Thornhill is confirmed with an ACL tear, so he is gone til 2021. In his place, I expect to see Kendall Fuller playing more safety and possibly more Armani Watts. If we get a lot of Fuller at FS, Mo Claiborne should be healthy and Rashad Fenton has earned some PT. Overall, I still consider the secondary a strength. 

When Miami beat New England, our Vegas odds on making the Super Bowl went from 13% to 30%. That's the difference a bye makes. 

J

Man if I had more money I would have bet big on us winning the superbowl like 6 weeks ago. And I didn't think we were going to win last year either, but this year  just seems like our year.

On Thornhill, Is there a chance he could return late next season, like in the playoffs? Personally I'd rather keep Fuller at nickel back but I don't pay a ton of attention to Fuller's role most of the time, all I know is whoever he is covering basically never gets thrown to. It just seems like once we switched things up after Thornhill was out, the Chargers started getting a lot of plays underneath.

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I doubt the draft. As I commented in another thread, we are losing a season, not a player. We have always gotten safeties from the FA ranks, so that is much more likely.

Yeah but we also won’t know how he’ll look in 2 years.

could not recover well and be back to square one

I think Thornhill injury doesn't affect our draft plans as much as some might think. It will affect our free agency plans, through. I think the stock of Fuller increased, as he's probably the one we should resign now. Maybe even Breeland. I think Chris Jones is gone anyways, but keeping the secondary pieces together would be a good thing and then i think we're targeting a lineman with our 1st round pick. Either O-Line to replace one of the interior spots, most likely at Center or LG, since i think we'll keep LDT for another season to see how he's doing once he should be completely healthy again, to see if this season was just an outliner or if he really got worse. Or we draft the CJ95 replacement.