Tyrod Time in LA?

bertuzzi

19 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If I remember correctly the mid to late 2000s he had a good line. Dielman, McNeil, Hardwick, and Goff. 

Yeah basically once those guys left, the Chargers FO were never able to replenish the supply. Jealous of what Dallas did for Romo.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you're going to move to Tyrod Taylor, you need a full Baltimore Ravens overhaul of your offense to fit his skillset, and you can't accomplish that during a regular season - heck the Ravens didn't even really accomplish that last year when we made the switch AND we had a bye week to install a new offense!

If you're just gonna run the same offense but have Tyrod at QB instead of Phil Rivers, what's the point? That's really stupid, IMHO.

And, perhaps most importantly, you can't accomplish that with the piecemeal OL the Chargers are rocking right now due in large part to injuries.  We've seen what Tyrod Taylor can do behind shoddy OL's and it isn't any prettier than what Rivers is doing right now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not going to wade through all of this.

So--the premise is that after two bad games Rivers is done?

That's...interesting. 

It became a problem after Pouncey went out. Though losing Okung earlier in the year didn't help. A younger River would be able to bounce back somewhat. But historically if he doesn't at least have a solid OL in front of him, he starts pressing. This year is probably the worst because of his age. He's missing open guys unlike in the past.

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not going to wade through all of this.

So--the premise is that after two bad games Rivers is done?

That's...interesting. 

Agreed.  Typical "grass is always greener because I can't see it, but I think it should be" FF logic being applied by some folks quick to kneejerk reactions, probably spurred by getting burned by him in what they believed with smash matchups in fantasy football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Tyrod doesn't give the Chargers any sort of advantage over Rivers. People forget that Tyrod wasn't really good in Buffalo or Cleveland. 

If this was a situation where Tyrod is some young upstart you need to evaluate, I can get it. But, we already know what Tyrod is, which is an average QB. No need to bench the best QB in team history to give him a shot.

Best QB in team history?

Hall of famer Dan Fouts would like a word with you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, viper952 said:

Best QB in team history?

Of course he would but Fouts is #2 franchise wise behind Rivers at this point. Not to even mention supporting casts. Chandler to the left; Joyner to the right and Winslow working the middle of the field was a thing of defensive nightmares. 

Edited by Boltstrikes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, viper952 said:

Best QB in team history?

Loved Fouts. I do think Rivers might have surpassed his legacy though as top dog in the franchise. Fouts had more impressive season accolades for his era, but didn't play as long due to injuries (to be fair most QBs didn't play as long then) and wasn't any more accomplished in the postseason. Fouts is in the HOF though, and I doubt Rivers gets there.

I went back and forth on it for a while, and maybe it's neck and neck for some folks.

Edited by PapaShogun

8 hours ago, bertuzzi said:

If the giants can bench Eli i dunno why the chargers cant bench this guy who cost them the season with his bad play.

Because the Chargers aren't idiot's like the Giants FO and Mcadoo. Benching Rivers for Tyrod is the equivalent of benching Eli for GD Geno Smith, Not the Aire apparent they took with the #6 pick this year.

You take your lumps as another failed underachieving Chargers season, maybe play spoiler down the stretch and move on next year to another QB. Either via FA or without a doubt taking one in the Draft.

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

And, perhaps most importantly, you can't accomplish that with the piecemeal OL the Chargers are rocking right now due in large part to injuries.  We've seen what Tyrod Taylor can do behind shoddy OL's and it isn't any prettier than what Rivers is doing right now.

But at least tyrod can make plays with his legs. They can roll him out more and move the pocket to buy more time. 

Not saying he's better than rivers or that they should start him, but sometimes it makes more sense to have a mobile QB if your OL is crap. 

I mean, a few of those plays on Monday night were absolute garbage and had nothing to do with the OL 

DANG NABIT 

Edited by N4L

The funniest part about all of this is if the last pass to Ekeler was a TD not INT, this thread nor any of the hate would exist. Yes Rivers made some bad throw. Yes he cost us the game. But he is still the QB and no one on the team currently gives the Chargers a better chance week in and week out.

I'm less concerned about Rivers' INTs than I am about why the team can move the ball between the 20s then not be able to get into the endzone. Monday was a prime example, 6 trips into the redzone and only 1 TD. That can't happen. Convert 1 more of those trips and its a totally different game.