Week 12 - Rams vs Ravens - MNF

RamRod

Defense has been really strong lately and now gets one of the hottest teams and players in the league. 

Ravens defense looking really good too especially since they acquired Marcus Peters from us.

It appears that Brandin Cooks will be back though. 

• Like 2

Im so ready for this game. Ive already predicted the Rams will win this game. I just have yet to say a score. Ill get to that later on in the week. I think this game has that feel off last season MNF game in LA versus the Chiefs. The Chiefs roll in with their high-powered offense with their MVP candidate Mahomes who is getting all of the love meanwhile Goff is the after thought. This season Lamar is the MVP candidate and again Goff is the after thought. This game is going to be strength on strength. Ravens come in 1st in the NFL in rushing offense averaging 200yds per game on the ground. The Rams come in 5th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed averaging 89yds per game giving up on the ground. The last time the Rams faced a team that had the top rushing attack in the NFL was against the Niners back in Week 6 when the Niners came in averaging 200yds per game. The Rams held them 99yds rushing on 44 rushing attempts. So they did a great job when everyone knew the Niners was going to run the ball and they have ran it well up to that point. So I think if the Rams can do a great job slowing down the Ravens rushing attack and force Lamar to drop back and throw the ball the Rams will do a great job in slowing down the Ravens high-powered offense.

Now it will be up to the Rams offense to get rolling. Gurley has looked great since the 2nd half of the Steelers game. I think McVay is going to continue to feed him the ball just like he did this past game. Getting Cooks back is huge because the Ravens can get beat through the air. They rank like 18th against the pass so that below league average. We all know Peters is a threat to make a big play but he is also a threat to give up big plays. The Rams hopefully can use Cooks deep speed to go over the top and get some big plays on Peters. Also Weddle knows this Ravens defense so he will factor in big time not just on how to attack it but help with how to go about having a strategy on Lamar to be in position to try to make a play. We know being in position is all we can ask for because Lamar will still find a way to make plays but the Rams have to limit him. I think this game is a Donald, Fowler, Clay, Ebukam and Obo game. When I think about how the Browns went to Baltimore and beat them down. It was Chubb going off. It was Landry going off. Most importantly it was their front seven with Garrett, Vernon, Schobert, Richardson, and Ogunboji harassing Lamar all game long. By doing so they forced Lamar to throw two picks, and he was sacked 4 times. This game is going to show the world again why Wade is one of the best defensive minds in the NFL. He knows how to scheme to slow down Brady and the Patriots. We know that has been hard over the many seasons for teams to do but Wade has consistently done it. Now lets see if he can slow down Lamar and the Ravens. Plus the good thing for the Rams is they arent new to going up against QBs like Lamar because they face Wilson twice a year. We know Donald has his best games against Wilson. Wilson is a better version of Lamar just because he is a great passer. Again the Rams need to force Lamar to throw. Again I cant wait for this game. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Gonna be a tough one to win. If we win this one, I'll believe we have a shot at the playoffs. Wade better have something up his sleeve for Lamar Jackson.

Its called Aaron Donald lol. After MNF, Lamar is going to text Wilson and say "Im glad I dont have to face Donald twice a year like you" lol. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Its called Aaron Donald lol. After MNF, Lamar is going to text Wilson and say "Im glad I dont have to face Donald twice a year like you" lol. 

For Aaron Donald to have a big game, our edge guys are going to have to contain Jackson.

• Like 1

We need to stick to what works. Keep feeding Gurley. Maybe sprinkle some Henderson in there too. Goff to just play  a mistake free game and let the defense hold them to field goals. 

Ravens are for sure going to put up a ton of yards against us but our D needs to bend not break 

The one thing I hope we stay away from is going into a shootout with the Ravens. McVay has a happy pass trigger finger and I hope he can contain himself even if we are down. Goff is not the QB this year to win us a shootout and our OL is certainly in no place to pass block for 40+ attempts 

stick to what works and we should be in for a good surprise 

Taylor Rapp should just be a spy on Jackson the entire game. Also, Mark Ingram churning out 1st downs scares me. We need to limit their "long drives" of 9+ plays that will gas our defense.

On the Rams side, I just want to see Cooper Kupp pick on Marcus Peters , but something tells me he's going to pick off Goff. Just a gut feeling. 

Need another game where we feed Gurley and keep Jackson off the field. We win this and I'll get hopeful about the playoffs.

I think this notion of the Rams have to win this game to start feeling great about playoff chances. I dont see it that way and here is why:

The Seahawks next three games are at Philly, Vikings, at Rams. Its possible the Seahawks can lose all those games. At Philly isnt going to be easy especially for a team that needs to win to keep up with Dallas. I think Dallas will lose to the Patriots so if Philly wins they are back tied with Dallas in the NFC East. The Vikings are a very good team and they too need to win to keep up with the Packers in the NFC North. Thats not going to be an easy game. Of course we know the Rams whom shouldve beaten the Seahawks early in the season but Zeurlein missed the FG. Then we think about in the Carroll/Wilson era which dates back to 2012, in the 15 meetings, 11 of those games were decided by one score. So its going to be a tight one that the Rams could win too. So its possible the Seahawks could lose all those games. So far through 10 games the Seahawks have played 8 games that was decided by one score. They are (7-1) so they have been living on the edge all season long. One would hope they will start losing some of those games. This stretch could be the case. If they do that puts them at (8-5)

Then we look at the Rams next three games. Assuming the Rams lose to the Ravens, then they play at Cards, then Seahawks. So if the Rams lose to the Ravens but beat the Cards and Seattle then their record would be (8-5). That means they would be tied with Seattle even with a loss to the Ravens. So again this notion that the Rams have to beat the Ravens in order to truly start to believe in the Rams playoff chances is not true. As a matter of fact, I said before that if there was a game the Rams could lose down the stretch it would be to the Ravens because its out of conference. We beat the Bears so we eliminated them. We beat the Panthers Week 1 so we dont have to worry about a tiebreaker with them. We have the Cowboys coming up, the Seahawks coming up so if we win those games then we could be big factor for the wildcard picture because Philly schedule is so easy they will take the NFC East if they can beat the Cowboys in Philly in a few weeks. So like the biggest games for the Rams in terms of the playoff picture is not the Ravens. Its the Seahawks, Cowboys, and then the Rams just have to beat the Cards twice. 

11 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Our O needs to be able to put up 30. I'm not sure that's going to be in the cards. 

I totally think the Rams can put up 30. Its not like the Ravens defense is the 2000 Ravens. Plus the Rams defense is great. Like all this negative talk about Goff and this offense, this defense isnt getting the credit it deserves. Lets not think the Rams defense cant slow down the Ravens. The Browns did it. The Browns held the Ravens to 25pts while scoring 40pts. It wasnt even close as the score indicated. That game was in Baltimore. The funny thing about that game too was the hype Lamar was getting early in the season for what he did to the Dolphins, Cards, then that showdown against Mahomes. Then the Browns was the team everyone knew would lose that game because they came in dysfunctional and looked lost. All they did was beatdown the Ravens. Coming into this game, again the hype around Lamar has picked back up after what he did to the Patriots and the Texans. Meanwhile the Rams are just meh to everyone now. MNF is the chance again just like last season when they faced the Chiefs for the Rams to prove that other team might have the MVP frontrunner who is rightfully so getting all the love, but when the night ends his team is going to take that L. 

Btw I remember last season after that game, Colin said even though the Rams won he came away thinking the better team lost. If the Rams win, since he has Baltimore first in his NFL hierarchy, I wonder if he will now buy back his Rams stock lol. Last year he had it then sold it then brought some of it back during the playoffs when he predicted the Rams would go into New Orleans and win. The only reason why he didnt pick the Rams to beat the Patriots in the Superbowl was because he didnt know the status of Gurley health heading into that game. Which was fair. 

Edited by stl4life07

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think this notion of the Rams have to win this game to start feeling great about playoff chances. I dont see it that way and here is why:

The Seahawks next three games are at Philly, Vikings, at Rams. Its possible the Seahawks can lose all those games. At Philly isnt going to be easy especially for a team that needs to win to keep up with Dallas. I think Dallas will lose to the Patriots so if Philly wins they are back tied with Dallas in the NFC East. The Vikings are a very good team and they too need to win to keep up with the Packers in the NFC North. Thats not going to be an easy game. Of course we know the Rams whom shouldve beaten the Seahawks early in the season but Zeurlein missed the FG. Then we think about in the Carroll/Wilson era which dates back to 2012, in the 15 meetings, 11 of those games were decided by one score. So its going to be a tight one that the Rams could win too. So its possible the Seahawks could lose all those games. So far through 10 games the Seahawks have played 8 games that was decided by one score. They are (7-1) so they have been living on the edge all season long. One would hope they will start losing some of those games. This stretch could be the case. If they do that puts them at (8-5)

Then we look at the Rams next three games. Assuming the Rams lose to the Ravens, then they play at Cards, then Seahawks. So if the Rams lose to the Ravens but beat the Cards and Seattle then their record would be (8-5). That means they would be tied with Seattle even with a loss to the Ravens. So again this notion that the Rams have to beat the Ravens in order to truly start to believe in the Rams playoff chances is not true. As a matter of fact, I said before that if there was a game the Rams could lose down the stretch it would be to the Ravens because its out of conference. We beat the Bears so we eliminated them. We beat the Panthers Week 1 so we dont have to worry about a tiebreaker with them. We have the Cowboys coming up, the Seahawks coming up so if we win those games then we could be big factor for the wildcard picture because Philly schedule is so easy they will take the NFC East if they can beat the Cowboys in Philly in a few weeks. So like the biggest games for the Rams in terms of the playoff picture is not the Ravens. Its the Seahawks, Cowboys, and then the Rams just have to beat the Cards twice. 

Very detailed and well thought out, but too many what if's and projection. At the end of the day, we have roughly a 19% chance of making the playoffs right now. That number will drop to around 15% if we lose to Baltimore I believe. We cannot count on the mistakes of Seattle and Minnesota. Seattle will def not go 0-3 vs Philly, Vikings, and Rams. Vikings have Lions (W) and Chargers (W). 

This game will also determine if we even have a shot in the playoffs because we've been winning against bottom tier teams lately.  If we get smoked by Baltimore, yeah we won't be eliminated technically, but it will be a moot point if we even get in the playoffs. 

I currently do not expect us to make the playoffs. If we lose on Monday, it reaffirms that expectation. If we win, I will change my stance on the matter cause it would give us a better chance against Cowboys, Seattle, 49ers, and beating the Cards twice I think is unlikely. They are a good team so to assume we will beat them twice is a bad assumption.

This should be a good game, but do we have enough available horses? Not sure, especially if Woods is still going to be dealing with his issues

But I do think our Defense is set up to atleast contain their offense, if we can Spy Lamar well enough.

If we can get this W, we are just 1 loss behind the Vikings, and make it a race to the finish between us for that 6th Playoff spot.

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Very detailed and well thought out, but too many what if's and projection. At the end of the day, we have roughly a 19% chance of making the playoffs right now. That number will drop to around 15% if we lose to Baltimore I believe. We cannot count on the mistakes of Seattle and Minnesota. Seattle will def not go 0-3 vs Philly, Vikings, and Rams. Vikings have Lions (W) and Chargers (W). 

This game will also determine if we even have a shot in the playoffs because we've been winning against bottom tier teams lately.  If we get smoked by Baltimore, yeah we won't be eliminated technically, but it will be a moot point if we even get in the playoffs. 

I currently do not expect us to make the playoffs. If we lose on Monday, it reaffirms that expectation. If we win, I will change my stance on the matter cause it would give us a better chance against Cowboys, Seattle, 49ers, and beating the Cards twice I think is unlikely. They are a good team so to assume we will beat them twice is a bad assumption.

Last season the Eagles were (4-4) then came off a BYE lost 2 straight one of which they got smoked by the Saints. They were (4-6) and while everyone buried them they still found a way to win 5 out of their last 6 in that stretch they went to LA and beat the Rams then beat the Texans the following week. So we know the NFL is fluid week to week. That’s why I don’t place value in projections. 19% means nothing to me. The Panthers were (6-2) last season sitting pretty but finished (7-9). So again projections mean nothing to me. 

I have a feeling we drop a close game here. Like 27-24 ish type score. We definitely have more prime time experience and we are at home. So that will keep it close I think. But the Ravens are just too good at the moment and we are really banged up.