Madden 20 Franchise - PATCH FIXED IT - WE'RE BACK!

MKnight82

8aa05e2bed04ee5110440168fa3b3a93.jpg

So I usually do a pretty long NBA 2k franchise, but since they ruined GM mode this year I figure I'll do a Madden franchise.  I want to focus on building the roster and move through the seasons quickly, so I'm going to be simming everything in this league.  I'm going to also try to make this franchise mode as realistic as possible, so I won't do any trades that I think are completely unrealistic, and I will limit FA signings because the Bengals aren't a big FA destination.  

These are the settings I'm using for the league:

Skill Level - All Madden (not sure if this makes a difference on sims or not, I don't think it does).

Trade Deadline - On

Coach Firing - CPU Only (my rebuild could take a long time and with me typing up all of this it would suck for it to collapse after Year 3 because the cpu decided to fire me).

Salary Cap - On

Superstar Abilities - On

Injuries - On

Pre-existing Injuries - On

Fill Roster - Off

XP sliders will remain standard, except I jacked up FB, K & P to 200x because they don't seem to progress at all.  

Let's get started.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 8

Coach Zac Taylor - Level 1

He doesn't appear to have a single upgrade, so he's worse than starting with a custom coach lol.  

The lack of a good 4-3 scheme that uses Man Coverage CBs in this game is annoying.  The best scheme I've found for what I like to do is the Tampa scheme which concentrates on speed Linebackers and zone safeties.  Unfortunately it has zone CBs too, but none of the schemes are perfectly what I want.  

(what I would love would be a 4-3 scheme like this: both DEs Speed Rusher, 1 Power Rush DT, 1 Run Stuffer DT, a Field General MLB, 1 Run Stopper OLB, 1 Pass Coverage OLB, Man Coverage CBs, FS zone coverage, SS run stopper).  Its pretty ridiculous they don't let you customize your scheme, which is something they let you do a few years ago.  I'm sure they'll add it back in a year or two from now and tout it as a "new feature".

Offensively I'm running with a West Coast Power Run scheme, which I like because it uses Power Olineman in every spot, and also has the Improviser QB, which I have found to be the best QB for sims.  It also has Power RB, Route Runner WRs (not ideal), and Possession TEs (which i do like).  

Playbooks:

Oakland's Offensive Playbook - looks like a good blend of running and passing formations.

Carolina's Defensive Playbook - I like that its a 4-3 heavy playbook but has a lot of 3-4 looks too.  I like defensive versatility.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 6

Year 1 Roster
Offense Skill Players
QB OVR Age HB OVR Age FB OVR Age WR OVR Age TE OVR Age
A Dalton 73 31 J Mixon 85 23 C Carter 66 25 AJ Green 89 31 T Eifert 81 28
R Finley 56 23 G Bernard 78 27       T Boyd 83 24 C Uzomah 77 26
J Dolegala 54 22 R Anderson 67 22       J Ross 76 23 D Sample 71 23
      T Williams 66 21       A Tate 72 22 C Harris 52 35
                  A Erickson 72 26      
                  S Morgan 66 22      

Offensive Lineman
LT OVR Age LG OVR Age C OVR Age RG OVR Age RT OVR Age
C Glenn 71 29 J Williams 73 21 T Hopkins 67 27 J Miller 68 26 B Hart 65 25
J Jerry 60 33 M Jordan 61 21 B Price 64 24 A Redmond 65 24 A Smith 65 32
                  F Johnson 54 22      

Defensive Players
LE OVR Age DT OVR Age RE OVR Age LOLB OVR Age ROLB OVR Age
C Dunlap 81 30 G Atkins 90 31 C Lawson 80 24 N Vigil 72 26 J Evans 67 24
A Zettel 72 27 A Billings 75 24 S Hubbard 75 24 M Chatham 69 31 L Reynolds 66 28
K Wynn 69 28 R Glasgow 69 25                  
      R Wren 68 23                  
      A Brown 66 23                  

Defensive Players      
MLB OVR Age CB OVR Age FS OVR Age SS OVR Age      
G Pratt 68 23 W Jackson III 85 26 J Bates III 79 22 S Williams 76 28      
      D Dennard 77 27 B Wilson 61 25 C Fejedelam 69 26      
      D Kirkpatrick 76 29                  
      BW Webb 69 29                  
      T McTyer 67 24                  
      G Mabin 67 25                  
      T McRae 62 26                  

Special Teams                  
K OVR Age P OVR Age                  
R Bullock 73 29 K Huber 67 34                  

This roster is a mess. They have two aging Superstar X Factor players, but I'm going to trade both.  There are no Superstars on the roster, and a total of 11 Star players, and 2 of those will likely be traded.  

I moved Jonah Williams from LT to LG because I don't think he has the size to play tackle in the NFL.  I also moved Billy Price from LG to Center.  Finally I moved Andrew Brown from RE to DT because he's 300 lbs.  I'm also playing with pre-existing injuries on and there are a bunch of players I'm going to have to put on IR (they are shown with text in Red).  

The offense is a disaster other than some decent running backs and Tyler Boyd.  I have no decent options at QB and I'm going to trade AJ Green.  TE is ok, but Eifert isn't a long term option IMO.  I do like Drew Sample.  The Oline has to be completely rebuilt, I'm hoping I can salvage Williams and Price.  

The defense has a few pieces but is rough as well.  Lawson, Jackson and Bates are 3 building blocks going forward, the rest needs to be scrapped.  Geno will be dealt.  

The depth on this team in general is also awful.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

Free Agent Signings

I have several roster spots available due to all the guys I'm having to put on IR, so I need to sign a few guys just to fill out the roster.

ROLB Tim Williams (73) - 25 years old

ROLB Jachai Polite (67) - moved to RE now (68) - 22 years old

LG Isaac Asiata (60) - 26 years old

CB Obi Melifonwu (70) - moved to SS now (69) - 25 years old

WR Deon Cain (68) - 23 years old

TRADE

NE Patriots Receive

WR AJ Green (89) 

CIN Bengals Receive

2020 Patriots 1st Round Pick

I said I'm only going to do realistic trades in this, and this one makes sense to me.  The Pats are in win now mode and need an elite WR.  AJ Green I'm sure would love to join the Pats.  Good for everyone all around.  

• Like 1

TRADE

DAL Cowboys Receive

DT Geno Atkins (90)

CIN Bengals Receive

2020 Cowboys 3rd Round Pick

2021 Cowboys 5th Round Pick

Atkins is aging (31) and expensive, but still talented.  Dallas needs talent up front on its defense.  I'm sure I could have gotten way more for him given Madden trade logic, but I feel like this is the going rate for expensive aging players and feels more realistic.  

TRADE 

KC Chiefs Receive

DE Carlos Dunlap (81)

CIN Bengals Receive

2021 Chiefs 5th Round pick

This will be the last trade I do before starting the season.  I can't imagine anyone trading much for Dunlap at this point, so I asked for a very minimal return.  The chiefs dumped both of their starting edge rushers in the offseason and could use a boost there.  

END OF PRESEASON UPDATE

There's no one to cut at the end of preseason this year.  I'm setting the season 1 goal for 4 wins.  I doubt I'll even get that.  I'm going to take a look around the league at other teams practice squads and see if there's anyone worth stealing.  

QB Tyree Jackson (62) - stolen from Colts practice squad.  He's not great but he's better than any of my QBs not named Andy Dalton.  He will start for me lol.  

*Bengals cut QB Andy Dalton* - saves $16 mil in cap with only a $400k cap penalty.  

CB Keion Crossen (68) - stolen from Patriots PS.  Good athlete but raw.  

*Bengals cut CB Tony McRae (62)* 

I'm going to have TE Drew Sample start at TE so he gets more reps.  Billy Price will start at Center.  Sam Hubbard will start at LE.  Despite being signed off the street, Tim Williams will start at ROLB.  

Edited by MKnight82